Where can I get fresh squeezed lime juice

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

I recently watched a video of Josephia's cooking class (on a blog by a Chicago journalist). One of the things she was making was a margarita. I'd like to make the recipe when I'm in Coz next time rather than use the bottled margarita mixers. I've looked for lime juice before in Mega and Ched and couldn't find it. Is there any way to get some without having to hand squeeze the limes (my increasingly arthritic hands don't do so well with that). Is it possible to take a bag of limes to Wet Wendy's or Woody's or Kelly's and pay them to put them through their lime squeezer? Is there some medival torture instrument that works like a lime press but doesn't require me to twist lime halfs on a plastic juicer over a rock's glass?

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

There's a squeezer they sell at the grocery stores, you cut the lime in half, put it in the contraption, and squeeze the handles together like a pair of pliers. I use one at home and it's much easier than the twisty thing. I have seen it featured on the Food Network. Bought mine from Chefs.com, but it's cheaper in Mexico.

#3 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

But be sure to get the metal one....not plastic.

#4 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

Hey, thanks for the info on the squeezer. I assume I can get it at both Mega and Ched?

#5 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

I don't recall, but it is at one or the other, probably both. When I saw it I only noticed how much cheaper it was than the one I bought online! Mercado has them too. Ez Stop is correct, get the metal one. Mine is green aluminum. Nice little gadget! BTW, I think they are made in Mexico.

#6 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

Sedona has them too....

#7 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

DanB - would you please post the link of the blog &/or the video of Josefina?

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#8 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:57 AM

There are two 'articles' about the person's involvement with Josephina. The first is a post from Jan 5 and the link is: http://www.jsonline..../112887634.html
The second one (that has the margarita video) is dated Jan 26, 2011. The link for that date is: http://www.jsonline..../114644344.html
Enjoy!

#9 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:09 AM

Hi Dan,

The lime juicer looks like this...
http://www.greenfeet...3151-actual.jpg
... and is available at Ched/Mega for $6 or $7us.

Make sure you get the larger version. The first one I bought in Coz was fine for the limes down there but was too small for the ones up here (MN/WI).

It is the greatest little contraption for making margaritas ever. You'll never use a mix again.

#10 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

We have always bought fresh squeezed O.J. and grapefruit juice at the mercado. They might have the limes already done up for you there. Squeezing limes is a pain and time consuming even with the squeezer. When you arrive, ask somebody if you can buy some lime juice somewhere.

#11 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

It is a PIA even with one of those tools. I usually squeeze about 40 or so for mojito making while on island. It sure would be nice to pay a bit more and have it already done. If anyone finds some please post up ;o)

Mikes

#12 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:57 AM

That fruit and veggie place, Maharaj (sp) will sometimes have fresh squeezed lime juice.

#13 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

Where is this place located?

#14 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

Limes went waaay up in price recently so comparatively to other juices they will be expensive and cost five times as much as last year. Go to the mercado, offer $10 or $20 pesos tip, whatever it is worth to you, buy the limes and have them fresh squeezed. I saw a sign that implied a place had lime juice the other day, but they were closed. Unlike the other juices that people will drink by the bottle, orange, grapefruit etc, limes would be way more costly and thirsty people won't slam down a half liter of lime juice often. Far less chance of it being prepared in advance unless someone has a specialty market customer as most bars would squeeze as they go.

I'd suggest mid morning for the mercado and they may have the parking lot open on the new front constructed at the old Red Cross property on avenue 20. Quite a new makeover of the mercado or at least the frontage.

Maharaja's new main location is on avenue 15 between calle 1 and Salas. They also have two locations on avenue 65, one being primarily wholesale. When they used to be located across from the mercado entrance, they were the main juice producers. They don't carry near all the specialty import items they use to have and the prices on avenue 15 seem to factor in the cost of the construction. I occasionally get something that I want of better quality there (rarely), but I have done a real double take on some of their price increases. Their restaurant there might be worth trying, they have gone very upscale in their construction.

#15 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

Charles, has the Maharaja on 10 - facing the back side of the yellow zocalo bldg - moved? I always stop there to get fruit to take on the dive boat. It's small but convenient.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#16 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

Yes, they closed there when they opened on avenue 15, only two blocks away. Ten times the space, but they carry barely double what they had on avenue 10.

#17 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

Lime juice (limon) was available today at the taco & torta shop La Serenita, N.E. corner of calle 1 and avenue 30, across from the Burger King drive through. Price was $65 pesos a liter compared to $20 & $22 for orange of grapefruit juice. That seems like a good price considering that the limes have shot up in price and many are not exactly juicy. That is the price of two kilos of limes and my guess it might take that much to get a liter of juice.

#18 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for the info, Charles. I'll stop by there when I go visit Nauticab at her shop.

#19 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 09:41 AM

Yes thanks for spotting that (taco & torta shop La Serenita). The Maharaja on 15th is a stones throw from our apartment and I hear they have a good breakfast but we have never been ;o( Maybe that will change soon.....? That is crazy about lime prices. Used to be you would have a few that no matter how hard you squeezed nada would come out and you would just toss em.

On a side note if you microwave whole limes for :30-1:00 and then roll them on the counter under your palm before you cut them in half, it makes them a heck of a lot easier to squeeze and you get more out of them. I think so anyway.

Mikes

#20 henrykipson

henrykipson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for sharing this information with us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users