Photo

Biodegradable Sunscreen Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Hi, would anyone have any recommendations of biodegradable sunscreen we could bring with us, or would it be more economical to buy it on the island?

My wife paid close to I think $20 (online, I didn't ask where)for a SMALL 5 oz bottle of Tropical Sands SPF 50, but I donít think that will be enough for a family of 4 for 7 days, and we plan to be in the water a lot!

Thanks very much in advance!

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

Burts Bees also sells it in a pathetically small bottle as well. You might be able to get a discount through Walgreens.

#3 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

Thanks. Is Burts Bees sunscreen going to be approved at the places where they are sensitive about sunscreens?

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

Should be, it says biodegradable on the label. The company has a good rep for using natural ingredients. There are probably cheaper products, but Burts is readily available.

I would save the expensive stuff for more sensitive adventures like dolphin and manatee swims. Otherwise, store brands (Walmart, Walgreens, etc.) or brands like Bullfrog and Coppertone will be fine. Actually, have not found those to be terribly expensive at the grocery stores on the island if you want to save some space. Don't recall ever seeing biodegradable, I could be wrong. In a pinch we have used children's sunscreen which was quite cheap.

Have fun!

#5 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:48 PM

For most places on the island, and where we might take a family snorkeling, will we need biodegradable sunscreens?

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

No. Just use one you would get at home. There are no sunscreen police. If you swim with caged mammals, they may want biodegradable. Otherwise just use the brand that you would normally use. Good to get one that is waterproof and has an SPF of 30 or so.

#7 joanie4c

joanie4c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

Can you readily buy biodegradable sunscreen on the island? Is it reasonably/comparably priced?

#8 brain007

brain007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

The reason for the biodegradable sunscreen is not to protect the large mammals, but to protect the coral. Some of the chemicals in the non-biodegradable sunscreens are toxic to coral.

#9 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

We have not seen biodegradable sunscreen anywhere on the island, tho we may have missed it. Hopefully, if it's waterproof, nothing will leach into the water. Have never seen anyone at the beach clubs using anything but the usual brands.

#10 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:22 PM

oh my god! the marine park rules clearly state that you are NOT to use any sunscreen that is NOT biodegradable.
sadly true, there is only one biodegradable sunscreen, spf 30, commonly found in both grocery stores. cvs carries some too in the states and is much much cheaper.
for the coral's sake, buy and use a big bottle of generic or name brand biodegradable sunscreen. i have always found it in walmarts and cvs in the states.

apply the sunscreen at least 30 minutes BEFORE going into the water so as much as possible is absorbed in the skin. best bet is to use a rash guard which is typically 30spf to 50spf using nothing at all. that way you only need some on your face and perhaps legs.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#11 RyanlovesCoz

RyanlovesCoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

I bought some biodegradable sunscreen online from Amazon for about $12 but I did see the same stuff at a pharmacy I think it was here on the island; if I remember right it was about $10 for a 6oz bottle. This store was a block back from the waterfront between the pedestrian plaza and calle 2, amongst all the shops.

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:40 AM

The only kind we found in Mega was a pump spray spf 50 that was biodegradable. I forget the name, but it was a common one. The bottle changed color too.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#13 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:12 PM

that's the one... it's a pump kind, pretty blue bottle if i remember correctly.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#14 itzrandy

itzrandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

I just finished reading a ton of information on Trip Advisor regarding sun screen that is accepted at Xcaret/Xel-ha and the lagoons. Just go to Playa del Carmen or Akumal forums and search SUNSCREENS. Bio-degradable is not the same as reef safe. A couple of brands to check out are Badger and Mexitan. Try WWW.mexitan.com and the same with Badger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users