25 replies to this topic

#1 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Diving

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:55 AM

My wife and I will be renting in Cozumel (North side) for 3 months Jan-Apr 2012. We have visited the Island several times. We love the Island and are trying this and hopefully doing this every year. We are recently retired. Being newbies to the Island I have some questions. The food and water is a concern. Since I have a "week willy stomach" change effects me. Is the gut still a big problem? Obviously we do not drink the water but use bottle water, but should I use bottle water to brush teeth, wash vegetables? I guess the question is how bad or good is the tap water? Since we are on the island for an extended time we were looking at taking taxis instead of renting a car. We are only 4 miles from town and may go in town up to 3 times a week. We are also looking at getting bikes with baskets?

Thanks

#2 henribos

henribos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:snorkeling, golf, reading, cooking

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:10 AM

My wife and I will be renting in Cozumel (North side) for 3 months Jan-Apr 2012. We have visited the Island several times. We love the Island and are trying this and hopefully doing this every year. We are recently retired. Being newbies to the Island I have some questions. The food and water is a concern. Since I have a "week willy stomach" change effects me. Is the gut still a big problem? Obviously we do not drink the water but use bottle water, but should I use bottle water to brush teeth, wash vegetables? I guess the question is how bad or good is the tap water? Since we are on the island for an extended time we were looking at taking taxis instead of renting a car. We are only 4 miles from town and may go in town up to 3 times a week. We are also looking at getting bikes with baskets?

Thanks

Hi,
You might want to ask your doctor about a new vaccine for travellers called Dukoral. It's a drinkable vaccine that stops travellers diarrea in it's tracks. We got it on the advice of our doctor as we were planning to travel to a lot of different locations before we settled down. Since having that vaccine, we haven't had one instance of Montezuma's revenge!
Of course, it's also important to follow the rules for travelling, drink lots of water and keep the alcohol intake down!
Good luck!

#3 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:19 AM

Hi,
You might want to ask your doctor about a new vaccine for travellers called Dukoral. It's a drinkable vaccine that stops travellers diarrea in it's tracks. We got it on the advice of our doctor as we were planning to travel to a lot of different locations before we settled down. Since having that vaccine, we haven't had one instance of Montezuma's revenge!
Of course, it's also important to follow the rules for travelling, drink lots of water and keep the alcohol intake down!
Good luck!

Thanks I will certainly look at getting Dukarol

#4 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

A bike w/ a basket is a great idea. Be sure to buy a really good lock and never turn your back on that bike for even a second without it being locked up. Cabs fares are going to add up fast. Yes, use bottled water for brushing your teeth. You can use tap water for washing food but be certain to use the iodine drops added to the water. You can buy them at the grocery store. My husband is a colon cancer survivor, so his gut is not like most folks'...we have to be careful.

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

You can use tap water for washing food but be certain to use the iodine drops added to the water. You can buy them at the grocery store.

Just so you know, the Microdyn and assorted disinfecting drops sold for washing fruits and vegetables does not contain iodine. They are all iodized or colloidal silver. There is widesread debate regarding the effectiveness. If I needed to use something, I used iodine. Personally which I won't suggest, I wash carefully in tap water and then rinse several times in bottled water.

#6 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

A bike w/ a basket is a great idea. Be sure to buy a really good lock and never turn your back on that bike for even a second without it being locked up. Cabs fares are going to add up fast. Yes, use bottled water for brushing your teeth. You can use tap water for washing food but be certain to use the iodine drops added to the water. You can buy them at the grocery store. My husband is a colon cancer survivor, so his gut is not like most folks'...we have to be careful.

Thanks for the information.

#7 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the information. Do Canadians/US residents ever get together on the Island. We would like to meet other residents, once there.

#8 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

Friday nights at Wet Wendy's (live music) would be a good place to meet people. The Money Bar on Friday is another possibility.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#9 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

They sell colloidal silver in health food stores here. It is used to fight off bacteria. There have been cases where people have made their own (not good) they used it for years and it turned the skin blue never to go back to normal.
This is not the case with this situation you are not ingesting it it gets washed off after soaking.

Ron

#10 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

Friday nights at Wet Wendy's (live music) would be a good place to meet people. The Money Bar on Friday is another possibility.

Thanks for the info are these places both in town? This is a great web site I scuba dive as well so I will be posting a few questions regarding dives and hoping not paying the cruise ship prices.

Mike

#11 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

Wet Wendy's is on the Avenida 5 extension of the plaza downtown. Money Bar is past El Presidente Hotel and just before Fiesta Americana south of town on the old road.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:34 PM

Do not drink tap water. Do not brush your teeth with it. I do not wash my face with it as I also have a weak stomach. The microdyn they sell down here they color to look like it has iodine but it is plata -- collodial silver which has been completely discredited as a disinfectant. Bring something with you from the states and/or wash all veg and fruits carefully in tap water and allow them to dry completely before processing and you should be fine.

In a pinch you can also use bleach as an antibacterial agent but it's tough to get the concentration right and if you get it too strong it makes the food taste nasty, too weak and it doesn't do the trick.

A bike with basket from the northern hotel zone to the groceries is doable although a good work out. Avoid this enterprise on extremely windy days if possible. You might want to strap a plastic milk crate or panniers on your bike as well as using a basket. I went to the store with a bike only for about five years so it's definitely doable. But I only live 10 blocks from the Chedraui.

#13 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

Does hydrogen peroxide work for a fruit soak? Reason I ask is that we grow our own sprouts and Gardens Alive recs soaking the seeds in a peroxide/water solution to kill off e. Coli and other nasties. It fizzes up nicely and is a lot safer than bleach.

We have a bottle of the "old" fruit soak we picked up at Ched a number of years ago that has iodine. Apparently they changed the formula and the new stuff is not effective. I remember seeing a guy with blue skin caused by colloidal silver on a talk show a couple years ago...

#14 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

Do not drink tap water. Do not brush your teeth with it. I do not wash my face with it as I also have a weak stomach. The microdyn they sell down here they color to look like it has iodine but it is plata -- collodial silver which has been completely discredited as a disinfectant. Bring something with you from the states and/or wash all veg and fruits carefully in tap water and allow them to dry completely before processing and you should be fine.

In a pinch you can also use bleach as an antibacterial agent but it's tough to get the concentration right and if you get it too strong it makes the food taste nasty, too weak and it doesn't do the trick.

A bike with basket from the northern hotel zone to the groceries is doable although a good work out. Avoid this enterprise on extremely windy days if possible. You might want to strap a plastic milk crate or panniers on your bike as well as using a basket. I went to the store with a bike only for about five years so it's definitely doable. But I only live 10 blocks from the Chedraui.

Thanks for your response, so if you purchase fruits and vegetables from the Mega or Chedraui the same thing applies about washing? We are exactly 4 miles from Town and understand it is a bit of a pedal but when windy this is a problem? Appreciate the information I do not want to sound like an alarmist but trying to get as much information as possible so we can better enjoy the island. What confuses me is that you can go in any US and Canadian grocery stores in the winter and by tomatoes, lettuce etc from Mexico and it it is not a problem other than washing them. Obviously the produce may not be cleaned as well when arriving in Mexican stores. So do you scuba dive as well? If so I would like to know where to go while there and not get charged tour boat tourist prices. Again thanks for your information.

#15 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:10 AM

When we first moved here a friend had the water tested and result came back: micro-organisms too numerous to count. Now the water is treated in a way where it is much purer. We (the wife) only buy vegatables and fruits from Chedraui or Mega because we feel the quality of those foods are head and shoulders above what you can buy anywhere else on the island. We rinse the vegatables, including lettuce, in the sink with tap water. We have done this for around 5 years and we have never had a negative experience.

Cozumel Diving

#16 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:07 PM

My observation on the scuba price question: The only way you are going to get a discount is to book (and pay for) a series of dives with one shop, i.e. the more you get the less expensive per dive it is. You want to make sure this is a shop you are comfortable with and that meets your needs and expectations. So you may want ask around, get some referrals and try a few out before committing. Scuba Board and TripAdvisor have Cozumel scuba shop reviews too. The people I know who get the "locals price" ARE long time ex-pats who have established relationships with certain shops.

It doesn't hurt to ask about negotiating a price - but timing is everything. In high season (now) there are usually plenty of divers daily. A friend of mine did that last summer (the low, lean season) and got a fantastic deal, again on a series of dives. There are some very fixed costs with diving operations and gas ain't going down. A shop might be more inclined to throw in equipment rental at no cost rather than reduce the price per dive beyond the normal multi-dive discount.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#17 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

Thanks

#18 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

I drink the tap water there and have never gotten ill but everyone is different

#19 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

I drink the tap water there and have never gotten ill but everyone is different

You're really asking for it, Willie. Only the poorest of the poor drink the tap water here and the more educated among them treat it with bleach.

#20 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

I've held off telling this story for over a year, but this seems the right time.
Last Jan. 4 of us rented a very nice home on the south end.
During our stay the water pump went out, the house had a cysterin [concrete underground water storage tank]
The pump was located in the tank and pumped water to the roof top storage tank that allows for pressure.
Well when the plumbers arrived on a scooter the older one lifted the lid and the young man jumped right in !!
We had been provided bottled water of course but the idea was kinda "creepy".
The young man took black tape off the electric wires and cut the cord on the new pump, replaced the hose connection and reused the black tape on the new pump wires.
All completed in 5-10 minutes, no casulties and they never turned the electric off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users