25 replies to this topic

#21 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

Drinking water from the tap is a very bad choice. Even if the water has no E-Coli (and that is not 100% assured), people who drink tap water have a high incidence of kidney stone problems.

Cozumel Diving

#22 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

maybe some of you have very very problematic stomachs. i have rinsed my veggies in simple tap water for 11 years now, and brushing my teeth and rinsing my mouth with tap water. i do NOT however, drink tap water. i too use bottled water for drinking and cooking. if i have to boil water for a long time for pasta or something that i will drain, i often use tap water, as it is the same as purified.

our uncle is a civil engineer who is often contracted by CAPA (for many years for many projects including being in charge of the new water treatment plant on the north end). he has told us that the tap water here IS DRINKABLE. it just doesn't taste good.

listen people. if you are drinking the water in the states, it is just as bad if not worse. they put in ammonia to reduce the taste of chlorine in the tap water in the states. ahem, mix bleach with ammonia and what happens. well, you are drinking it. which is why drinking water has more sales than coca cola and beers COMBINED. all "safe" tap water sucks.

this is why the dept of sanitation comes by all houses to check for possible places for mosquitos to grow and they put tablets in your pozos (wells) and little bags of chemicals for your cistern. it is all in the name of water treatment.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#23 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:14 PM

The water has improved a lot in the last ten years. Fifteen years ago, the director of CAPA told me, el agua potable, no es potable. Don't drink the water. Besides potential health concerns, it didn't taste good and the mineral content was very high. City water used to be supplied for only three hours a day or less. There was a rotation schedule of the different colonias. When the water would start coming into our cistern at 2:00PM in 10 de abril, it was loaded with chlorine. It smelled about right for washing whites, loaded. Like with fruits and vegetables, bleach (chlorine) will kill most things, EXCEPT for the nasty ones. I have always used the water for brushing my teeth, but avoided it for cooking because of consideration of the taste and mineral content.

The tap water I get in Alaska is untreated, absolutely delicious. Melted glacier ice filtered through 800 feet of rock. Absolutely pure, well, we have some heavy metal traces, I know that I don't need any extra copper in my vitamin/mineral supplements. A good friend, a neighbor grows vegetables and she's where I get most of my salad greens. The entire town was a toxic waste, Super Fund clean up site and we have been assured the government "vacuumed" the upper layer of soil where most of the goodies like arsenic and lead dust were found. You bet I wash things carefully and I have 100% confidence at the care, handling and growing of the vegetables. I think there is a huge false sense of confidence of water being safe if it comes out of a tap in the U.S. The FDA says that chlorine and their approved methods are 95% effective in treating the fruit and vegetables at home. That is only a 5% NOT effective rate. I wash and clean most things in Mexico, just like I wash and clean most things I buy or pick in the States.

What CAPA told me back when the water was worse than it is today was that the water lines were conveniently placed in the same trench that the sewer, agua negro pipes ran. In an ideal world, you might want them on other side of the street. There are still a lot of people that are supplied by well water, lots of pozos in downtown still in use. Cozumel was first recognized by the West for its ready supply of fresh water, a good place to port to fill your ship's supply of drinking water. Downtown has had numerous "well points" (if that is a correct term) for draining water from the street. We can't wait for rain water like today to slowly seep into the ground and enter the aquifer, it needs help. Drill wells to drain the water. I really wonder about the quality of well water as more and more pollutants, the streets and sidewalks are clean for Carnaval now and much of it gets dumped down drain holes in the ground. It joins the aquifer with minimal filtering, maybe just passing through enough rock filter to pick out the big pieces. The quality of water from the wells that once was probably good, even back when out houses and before sewage treatment, now those hand dug (dynamite) shallow wells are facing increased risk of pollution from street wastes that get funneled down machine drilled wells. There is a group of rooms, small apartments that I watched the well being enlarged to accommodate the increase of demand while just outside, the city drilling rig was punching out a series of wells to drain the water from the street.

There are a lot of things that might bring cause for concern if you had a better view of what really existed. A nice, comforting false sense of confidence. It is best, you don't really want to know. People by tradition are concerned (paranoid?) about the water, salads and the biggie....ice, are they safe or will they die from consumption in Mexico? Well, just how safe are they really at home?

#24 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:30 PM

Nauti, I am with you. I have always used tap to wash veggies and brush teeth and also to boil pasta and potatoes...have never had a problem nor has any of my family. My well water in North Florida was alot worse..yuk!

#25 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

We wash our clothes, vegetables, brush our teeth and shower with tap water. We use bottled water for cooking.

I installed a 2 micron carbon fiber whole house filter that the water goes through before it enters our tank. I change it once a week. It goes from white to brown. Because of the clear housing it is easy to see when it needs to be changed.

We bought baskets for our bikes and they have come in handy. I have a set of folding metal wire saddle bags on the back of my 18 speed and Donna has a single basket on the front of her bike.

#26 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:28 AM

We own a condo at Nah Ha at the North end so I assume the water supply lines you will use are the same as ours. We brush our teeth, cook with and wash vegetables with the tap water. We use our bottled water for hydration, ice and bourbon. Neither of us have ever gotten sick.

I bike into town a lot. One of the best purchases I made on the island was buying a used bicycle trailer. It is perfect for a week's worth of groceries and carrying scuba gear. We brought our bikes from the states and they are multi-speed mountain bikes. The gears are a pain to maintain, but as we keep the bikes inside, we don't have the problems with rust most bikes do. Buy an aluminum bike with aluminum wheels in the states and put it in a bike box and fly it down with you.

Single speed cruisers are probably better if you don't know how to do the maintenance. You will need a bike pump and maybe some basic skills for changing a tire.

My wife has a detachable basket on her bike that she likes. We have decent locks and wear helmets 90% of the time. The north end has some really nice bike paths now. They were just completed.

WD40 is your friend for rust prevention. It is not a lubricant.

Speaking of bikes......here is my bike trip around the island that I did last month:

Bank of America has a free ATM service with Santander bank. We opened a free account with BoA. They also have SafeSend so you can wire yourself money to most banks on the island for no charge.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users