DENI

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

I would advise your friend to "keep her shirt on". At least at the beach clubs. And downtown. Coz is a very family oriented, religious island. When in Rome... There may be some adults only beaches and resorts but we haven't been to them.

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

Your friends will not be bothered by anyone. Lots of women sunbathe topless here. That it insults the locals is a myth. The local Mexicans could not care less about what tourists do on the beach as long as they keep it to themselves. Although no beaches are marked topless, in the time I have lived here I have seen women topless on just about every beach including hotel properties.

Cozumel Diving

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

My husband would like to know which clubs? <_<

#5 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

Chen Rio, Punta Morena, Paradise Beach, the beach behind Mescalitos, Ixpalbarco, Cozumel Palace, Playa Azul, Punta Chiqueros (sp), the pool area at Park Royal. There are a few for you. I would imagine that anyone that has ever been to Coconuts has seen the dozens if not hundreds of photos of topless American women that were taken there. There are many more. If you need more names let me know, but frankly it would be easier to think of beaches where I haven't seen topless sunbathing. There are also more topless clubs here than I have ever seen per capita anywhere else. Over the many years I have lived here the only people EVER that I heard negative things from concerning topless sun bathing were and remain Americans. Of course I have seen dozens of posts on websites, all from gringos,saying this practice is not allowed/is looked down on/is illegal.

Cozumel Diving

#6 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:12 PM

On our first visit about 15 years ago we stayed at what was then the old Fiesta Inn. Everyday there was a lady who took her book and spent the day topless by the pool. No one payed much attention. (My wife told me, I didn't look) We spend a lot of time on the east side and it seems to be pretty common over there, especially at Mezcalitos and some of the others.

#7 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

Good list for families with children (and other "interested" persons).;)

#8 deni9271

deni9271

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

I really appreciate the honesty, I just didnt want them carting her off to jail for bathing topless, she is not a swinging flewsy, but she is definatly not shy. And where she is from this is normal, and the Island being know for the goddess of fertility she automatically assumed it was ok, so thank you again for the truth.

DENI

#9 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

I guess I go to the wrong places at the wrong times to see this kind of thing. In 15 years, I've seen it only once. Two women and a masseuse walked down the beach from San Francisco Beach, walked up into the palms in front of the villa we were renting, set up the table and proceeded to get a massage. Frankly, my husband and I were surprised. HOWEVER, don't take that wrong. We've attended MANY clothing optional events in our time and have no issues with nudity.

I do disagree that this is commonplace, but that is based on my personal experience. I just haven't seen it.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#10 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Kandy I had no idea that you had lived here for 15 years.

Cozumel Diving

#11 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:38 AM

My wife and I were on the east side in a very secluded spot that could not be seen from the road nude sunbathing, when several policemen walked up and told us it was illegal and that we would have to go to the plice station to pay a fine. I told them that there was no one around and that was why we chose this spot. I told them that I was not going to the police station and asked what the fine was. We argued back and forth for a while and finally settled on $80.00 cash. I figure they pocketed the cash and went on. They said it was okay to go nude only past Mescelitos on the road to Punta Norte. I did'nt try that since I figured they would follow me and try to get some more cash. You gotta love the Mexican "pay as you go" fine system.

Sam

#12 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

I sunbathe topless and sometimes nude on the east side in very discreet places.. and not on busy days like Sunday. I have seen many other women go topless as well, never in a flaunting way. Occasionally, someone has caught a glimpse (big deal) but no one has ever bothered me.. usually just a wave from a stroller on the beach.

#13 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

In discreet areas there certainly is nothing wrong with it but I've not seen it very often in our 20 years of vacationing there. No big deal. IMO your children see as much skin on TV everyday.

#14 Layback Lenny

Layback Lenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

At one out of the three pools at Sabor it is posted topless optional but never saw anyone doing it myself. A few friends did say they saw a few women doing it, though.

#15 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

Since the Wyndham... oops, Sabor went adult only last year I have maybe three topless sunbathers on the beach there. I think I have caught glimpses of another three or four as in all my drives down the east side of the island and trust me, I do keep a close eye out for this sort of thing ;)
Never seen anything anywhere else though.
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

#16 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

Someone has to do it Gary. I really admire you for courage and fortitude. It brings a tear to my eye.

Sam

#17 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

The way I look at it, if you’re going to topless sunbathe, please have something worth viewing/displaying. I’d say I have never seen anyone doing it that I actually wanted to see topless... :)
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users