• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:53 PM

Just spent 7 days at the Fontan (North Hotel Zone) and had a great time. Spacious oceanfront rooms with balconies with a great sunset view. Friendly staff, continental breakfast included which consisted of toast, fresh fruit plate or juice and coffee. Internet in lobby; not in the rooms. Clean rooms, air conditioner works great, hot water showers work great. Itty bitty coffee-maker (bought a 12 cup at the Mega and left it there) Great snorkeling! Man made not-so-sandy area with lounge chairs, no palapas. Cost: I paid $73.00/night.
Changes: They are changing the name to Hotel B Cozumel, lots of renovations inside and out; with a July 2011 completion date expected.
Cindy

#2 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the update on the Fontan, Cindy. There is really a slim, mixed bag of feedback on this place (here as well as TA). I love the balconies, but my main concern was shade! I had taken a look at the property last summer when I was in Coz. Amazingly there were no umbrellas outside around the pool or anywhere. When deciding where to stay this year, I found the e-mail of the manager and asked about it. He responded that they would have umbrellas there "by the time we got there". Knowing how things may or may not happen in Mexico, even with the best intentions, I have my fingers crossed on that one. Hopefully this is part of the "renovations". Also there will be a mini-frig for rent for $10/day. Balcony, frig, shade, water = my hubby's happy and so am I. Throw in a microwave and we're really set. We do our own coffee with a cone and an immersion heater. My husband and I are booked in there at the end of March for a week and will report back on our experience.

PS: Hotel B Cozumel? That is weak. Sounds like the choice of a corporate committee.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#3 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

They have 3 different cards on their counter with some pictures of what it is suppose to look like. In the background of the card behing the B is the word 'BELIZA'
I had emailed Rigoberto and asked if refrigerators were in the rooms, he said no, but did not offer to rent one to us; however I had read that you could rent one for $10/day. We took softside ice chests and bought ice at the Sedena when we needed it.
As I said, there were no palapas or umbrellas; although part of the little beach area is shaded through part of the day.
Cindy

#4 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

My husband and I spent 9 nights at the Fontan in late March.....

PRO:
  • All rooms have big balconies or ground floor patios overlooking the gorgeous Caribbean. I can look at that view all day.
  • Excellent snorkeling right out front of the hotel.
  • Mini-frig available for $10/day extra. But bring your own mini ice cube trays.
  • The location is an inexpensive cab ride to town (60p = $5), and walkable if you are in shape or working to get there.
  • Staff was very helpful and went out of their way to assist.
  • Towels provided for pool/waterfront. Hairdryer in bathroom.
  • Free WiFi in lobby.
  • Quiet atmosphere. No piped in music or activities director shouting in a microphone. There is music at the restaurant but the volume is kept low.
  • The hotel is 2 doors down from the Coral Princess that includes the Pepe Scuba shop. Their fast boats leave for the reefs from there. Very convenient!

CON:
  • My biggest beef: No shade! Not 1 umbrella around the pool/waterfront + No cushions on the hard plastic loungers. This not only discouraged us but other guests from spending time down there and patronizing their restaurant/bar - which they are trying so hard to promote. Hello?
  • No ceiling fan or screens on the sliding doors = mosquitoes at night. Closing the door = no natural ventilation, so you have to use the air conditioning to sleep at night. We changed rooms to get a quieter, better functioning AC so we could sleep. A plus: the AC is mini split, not the old style jet engine kind.
  • No drinking water provided (other than 2 little bottles when you check in). We've run into this before at the Coral Princess and know to bring our water pump (bomba) for a giant bottle of water. Got the giant bottle of water at Sedena and were set for over a week.
  • Strange bedding arrangement: no fitted or tucked in bottom sheet. Bottom flat sheet went only to the end of the bed and curled up every night with the mattress pad.
  • Entry/exit to the sea can be dicey - only a railing to hold on to. I sat down and slid in, but had to really pull myself back out. Might be hard for some people.
To be fair the hotel is slowly renovating - there are 4 floors of rooms and only the ground and second floor are available. There is a new manager and hopefully more positive changes will emerge. For waterfront I think this was a very good price - we paid $75 + $10 for the frig = $85/night. Booked thru www.booking.com.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users