• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chicagofamilia

chicagofamilia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

Is it better to bring your own snorkeling equipment or just rent/use what's provided. Our hotel provides it. Don't know if that means you can leave the premises with it or not though. Thanks!

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

I would definitely bring your own mask, especially if you have prescription lenses. Masks are a personal fit, make sure you have a good seal. Fins, meh. Snorkel, if you don't mind someone else's spit. We always bring our own equipment. That way we are portable.

Enjoy!

#3 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

You will not be allowed to leave the hotel property with their snorkel equipment. Plus, alot of times you have a time limit in which you are allowed to use it. Then there's the sanitation issue...I don't care what anybody says-ick. Snorkeling with an ill fitting mask can be such a disappointment. Buy your own and bring it down with you. Be sure to take water shoes and teach the kids not to touch or step on any coral and please don't feed the fish.

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:13 PM

Pecosgirl is right. Definitely booties with hard soles that fit in your fins. They work great on iron shore. You don't need the scuba boots, just the ankle ones. And I so agree, please do not stand on the coral and don't feed the fish!

#5 Tricia

Tricia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

We purchased our gear for our upcoming trip to the island at Amazon.com. Very good prices for name brand gear. We bought the fins that cover our whole foot so we wouldn't have to invest in dive booties. Will this work?

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

Don't you just love Amazon? Great service!

We use our booties as shoes, the minute we get to the beach clubs, we put them on. I had a painful experience at the bar across from Rasta's, ran my bare feet thru the sand and ended up with a toothpick stuck in one. Luckily the bartender had peroxide at the ready!

I guess I would still bring water shoes of some sort even if you have full fins. Or wear your sneakers. Watch out for glass too. Cheds or Mega may have water shoes.

BTW, don't put your fins on till you are in the water. We see so many folks trying to walk with them on shore!

#7 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:46 PM

You can't walk with your fins on...smiles. And you'll need some kind of water shoes to walk across ironshore. We buy cheap water shoes at walmart.

#8 Tricia

Tricia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

Cheap water shoes from wal-mart sound great. I just don't see spending big bucks for diving booties that we are only going to be using one week.

That would be funny watching people walk on shore in fins! I was just thinking a pair of flip flops would suffice. This leads to another question, Do you wear your water shoes inside your fins? I was going to wear flip flops, leave them next to water and then switch to fins. Is this wrong?

I am so sorry chicagofamilia for taking over your post with my questions!

YES, AMAZON ROCKS! (overstock.com too)

#9 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

We wear our booties with fins, but your idea with the flip-flops works too. I suppose the water shoes could fit in the fins as well.

#10 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

One year when we stayed at the Playa Azul there was a newlywed couple that put thier fins on at thier chairs and walked all the way to the water. They did this every time, several times a day and it was soo funny to watch. I probably should have said something, but surely they saw us go into the water before finning up. Oh yea, and they also put on thier mask and stuck thier snorkel in thier mouth to walk to the water. It was just soo funny and great to watch!!

Sam

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

LOL!

With a new mask, be sure you clean it well with mask cleaner. Some say Dawn dishwashing liquid, some toothpaste. As I recall, we used toothpaste. They also sell mask cleaner at the dive shops. CZMDM would have good suggestions. Also, for anti fog, I would use some sort of drops. Spit works for some folks, (not me!) but we prefer Seagold gel, which is also sold locally or online.

#12 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

We snorkeled for years without any fins....just water shoes. You don't HAVE to have fins...but it helps.

#13 chicagofamilia

chicagofamilia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

Wow, thanks for all the info everyone!!

Tricia, no worries... the more info the merrier :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users