Is Cozumel safe to visit?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:02 PM

Newbie, I won't rehash what everyone else has said, except to say Cozumel is incredibly safe -- even if you are brave enough to wander into the residential areas some 20 blocks back from the ocean, or into the local Taquerias back around Avenida 60 where no one speaks a word of english, you are almost certainly safer there than walking to your local 7-11 in nearly any large city in the US. I've been going to Cozumel since I got certified to dive in 1989, and I've NEVER had a problem there (well, outside of a bad Moped Accident - DO NOT RENT A MOPED!), but I never took a Cruise until 2 years ago, and I also heard the Cruise people telling passengers "Don't go back into town, stay on the main street, only shop in our approved stores". As someone who has regularly been to Cozumel when the Cruise Ships are not in Port, I can tell you that I NEVER go into the "Cruise Ship Approved Stores" when Cruise Passengers are in town -- the prices are uniformly raised by 50% or more, so they can give the Cruise Passengers a "20% Discount With Cruise Ship ID".

I can guaranty that you WILL get mugged on your Cruise - but most likely only by the Cruise Line when you get the bill from the Cruise Line for all the drinks, souveniers, extras, etc., that they sell you; if you are taking children, start saving now for all the $3.00 cans of Coke they'll drink at the pool deck. Before believing one single word out of the mouth of a Cruise Ship Employee, remember that to them, you are a walking Wallet, and their sole job is to ensure that you are empty when you disembark.

#22 MexFan2

MexFan2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

I agree with all the posts and I feel safe most anywhere day or night on the island. I did read in the press this week that the mayor is thinking of imposing a curfew on young people being on the streets at night. But I see that as a plus--the mayor is trying to keep ahead of any problems that can and will happen if you allow young people to congregate and roam the streets at night .

#23 TiaTia

TiaTia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:31 AM

Cozumel is not perfect but it still is pretty close to paradise in my book.

We discovered las isla on a cruise. Daughter was married onboard, a lot of family in tow. First cruise. Great way to check out other cultures and can be quite educational. While everyone else was recovering from the previous day's port or getting ready to go on the excursion of their choice, I was at a beach bar that wasn't opened yet at Puerta Maya. Other son-in-law was to meet me and he and I would go exploring. Yes, I sat in on the shopping "seminar". I didn't learn anything other than don't trust anyone but our approved stores. Red light for me. Didn't make sense.

While I was waiting I sat down under a palapa in a beach lounge. Then I laid down and watched the people coming off the ship. I like to watch people. Next thing I knew, I was waking up to a dog licking my hand! I had dozed off. Imaging that, on a nice early May mid-morning.

Would I have done that if I didn't feel safe? Not on your life. Son-in-law finally showed up and we went exploring the island. We drove all around it, through "downtown", picked up water and snackies at a little store. People were friendly and helpful. Even if I couldn't understand them or they me, it worked out.

Now we try to go several times a year, have made numerous friends and can't leave home without MY mother, lol. We bought timeshares on resale (never from a developer) and have never looked back. We KNOW where we are retiring to!

Go, enjoy and use a little common sense.

~Tia
Returning to Cozumel soon...

#24 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

While I was waiting I sat down under a palapa in a beach lounge. Then I laid down and watched the people coming off the ship. I like to watch people. Next thing I knew, I was waking up to a dog licking my hand! I had dozed off. Imaging that, on a nice early May mid-morning.

Go, enjoy and use a little common sense.

~Tia

Sweet story, Tia! I think for me, too, its the small things that make it a pleasure to be here. People smile -- and not just when they are hoping to get money out of you. They also tend to be charmingly unself-conscious which I find very endearing.

#25 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:28 AM

In Cozumel you are only at peril if you are a Lionfish or a Conch. :)

Cozumel Diving

#26 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

&%$$$&(/%/&%(/ This makes my blood BOIL!!!!! I just shot off several emails to the Governor's office, and the press.

This slanderous attack cannot be tolerated. If I was the Governor I would fly to Miami, demand an immediate audience with the FCCA and hold a press conference, then have a Legal Firm deliver a Cease & Desist warning to any cruise line involved....

Just what Cozumel needs after Wilma (and the bad press that didnt go away for 2 years) then the passport debacle which cost the island dearly, then the recession/election/war situations of 2008, which also saw a reduced number of travellers, then "drug violence & swine flu" in 2009 (neither of which were tru for Cozumel, and NOW THIS!!!!

God please make it stop!!!!

Kudos to Antonio for getting his hands on the flyer. He succeeded in getting a copy of the flyer and his letter published in Por Esto. The article includes a link to this board.
http://www.poresto.n...5&idTitulo=7434

#27 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

Now one shouldn't blame the ships, they really have nothing to do with this. The cruise ships will never dirty their hands if they can have henchmen do the dirty work. I have lost track of which one is which and who is the worse. PPI and On Board Media handle all the promotions and sales. Carnival's battled over tour commissions last year, trying to get back to the old daze when they got their rightful 65% of gross share. It seems that they are shifting directions to concentrate on retail sales on board ship. Since everything happens in international waters, they are free of government taxes and any other pesky regulations.

Ships have been increasingly selling more jewelry and everything else they "promote" on board ship. They will still give their same shopping talks promoting shops downtown or off the ship as they are paid to do. They will use all the publicity materials provided by their recommended stores. It is business as usual aboard ship, but now at the end of their multi hour infomercial, BUT HEY, we have the very same things I just talked about right here and since we are the ships, we don't have to pay cruise ship commissions. We carry everything I talked about and at even cheaper prices than onshore at all the shops I recommended. The classic story I read about was a man from England that was about to finalize his deal to put diamond jewelry in consignment on board Princess ships (this recent hand-out was the Princess Oceana). This fine British diamond jewelry merchant had the mistaken idea he was dealing with a company of class which used to be associated with P&O Lines. He flew from London to New York, personally carrying $3.5 wholesale value diamond merchandise. He said he had never traveled with such nervousness, crossing the Atlantic by plane and then ground transportation to the downtown offices of Princess. I have no idea how he could have progressed so far without having a better idea just who and what he was trying to conduct business. In the jewelry trade today, it is dependent on small mark up and moving volumes. When he heard the final terms that Princess demanded 65% of the gross sale price and he would have various overhead responsibility to pay and provide besides, he had a heart attack. Right there in the Princess offices, he keeled over and hit the floor. He did survive and took all his jewelry back home as for the prices required to move the volume, if successful, he would barely break even.

If Cozumel would dare to fight back against the ships, information can be printed and handed out to tourists, the ones risking leaving the ship. Any person that gets into a taxi is someone that has "escaped" and deserves to be properly informed. Print up a short brochure detailing just the high lights of the manner they do business. Take their tours for example. They demand a huge discount to sell the tours which used to be priced higher on board ship than when booked independently. First they required that any of their providers that sold to outside people must charge the same price as the ships charge. Not satisfied with that, they want exclusivity of services so if you deal with the ships, you will stop selling to hotel and other land based tourists. The ships want to insure that they get all of their passengers money that is spent. Not content with that, they want their contract providers to deal with them period. On a slow day if a tour is transporting cruise passengers and obvious space is available, it is prohibited to sell trips to non ship passengers. It is easy enough when cruise passengers want to buy a tour, to direct them back to the ship. But when land based tourists show up at the office and see people directed to the ships, know for a fact there is plenty of available space, the provider company is hurting for revenue, the employees want additional people to earn tips, but no sorry, the general public can not buy our services.

I haven't bothered to pay attention as to which dolphin jail tank show is being promoted. It appeared that Carnival was ending their contract with Chankanaab. For a period the Chankanaab dolphin experience was offering a special discount to Carnival passengers that dared to book independently.

Carnival owns roughly 65% of the cruise lines and is even more dominant here. Royal Caribbean-Celebrity is in distant second place with about 30%. the few independents left are Norwegian and Disney which are minor players. Carnival pretty much runs the show and dictates policy with the others goosestep to the tune as ordered. What Carnival (cruise market in general) is doing, they want to get all the money and carefully plug any leaks of revenue that might drip to someone else. What I see them doing, they get as much as they can quickly and then are willing to lose additional money if it can prevent any revenue from reaching others hands. Their level of greed has reached new heights and should be dealt with accordingly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users