Photo
- - - - -

Purchase ferry tickets at dock or in advance?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

I see one can purchase tickets for the ferry in advance. Does the ferry ever sell out, or is it normally pretty easy to just show up when we are ready and purchase tickets at the dock for the next available ferry?

#2 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:31 PM

Purchase at the dock. You never know if you want to stay later or leave earlier.

#3 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

Purchase at the dock. You never know if you want to stay later or leave earlier.

Actually, we know the day we want to leave (the last day of our island hotel reservation which is the first day of our mainland hotel reservation), we just don't know what time we would want to cross.

So if there is any chance the ferry's might sell out, we should probably pick a time and a ferry, and purchase the tickets online in advance. But if this is something that never happens, it makes our vacation much easier if we can just show up at the dock when we do. Do the ferry's ever sell out and leave people stranded on a side?

Are the two ferrys pretty much the same?

#4 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:50 PM

DON'T buy in advance! You don't need to. And if you do buy a ticket in advance, it might not be for the ferry that is leaving the soonest. The two ferry companies alternate times. Just show up.

#5 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

You check departure times by checking with the two company's web sites. They leave on the hour, however there are certain hours when there is not a departure.

http://www.granpuerto.com.mx/

http://www.mexicowaterjets.com/eng/

#6 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

We purchase a one-way only at the ferry terminal because we don't always know what time we will return.
Cindy

#7 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Have you seen how many locals can fit on a scooter? They won't run out of space on the ferry.

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:13 AM

If possible, I prefer Ultramar. They have the band playing on the top deck.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#9 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

This happened yesterday at the ferry...A family staying on Cozumel island for a week, went over to Playa on a prepaid tour to Tulum. They bought a one way ticket from Cozumel to Playa with Ultramar and paid for it on a credit card. When the tour was done, and they wanted to buy a ticket back, the booth clerk asked for ID to verify their credit card. This is policy. They didn;t think to bring it with them and had no cash. Their credit card was not authorized for ATM withdrawals. They were stuck and in somewhat of a panic mode. We assisted them by buying them their tickets back to Cozumel and they paid us back when we met later. It was just a life lesson when travelling anywhere to have a copy of your ID with you, especially when you are using credit cards.

When we travel we have an extra colour copy of our passport or drivers licence so if these get lost for some reason the originals are safe.
This could have been a very upsetting thing for this family. yes some ignorance on their part, but it could have marred them from ever coming back to Mexico or to Cozumel. I suggested that they Pay it Forward in case they encounter anyone having issues in the future and offer help. They plan to return to the island in a few months and we will probably be friends forever!
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#10 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

Wow...they were so lucky to meet you! Why should your passport copy be in color? Mine is not.

#11 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:45 PM

Canadian and USA passports photos and ID info are in colour i think? we are Canadian and they are in colour..so is our drivers licences from Canada as well as the ones we have here in Mexico.
Make a colour copy of it...?
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#12 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

Sailsgal, that was so kind of you. What a scary situation for that family, and how lucky for them you were there!

We take color copies of the first page of our passports in our luggage and in my purse, my husband snorkels with drivers license in what we call a his "purse" (a small waterproof container he ties to his shorts and tucks in along with a $500 peso note which would cover any beach club purchases). Just in case.

I color copied both DL and PP on our copier. We also stick business cards everywhere. I make my luggage tags out of duct tape with only our initials and cell numbers on them as thieves have been known to seek out your address when you are gone, not so much from Coz, but from your departure city.

#13 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

I may consider doing this - where exactly does the ferry leave from?
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#14 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

Mark- it leaves from the middle of town. You can pull up a map of San Miguel and see it. Your attitude so far on the forum is not making you any friends...so if you want folks to answer your vacation questions...don't be so radical.

#15 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

Mark, I know that I do not post here very often but, I do need to agree with pecosgirl. This is just my observation, but how is it that you have been to Cozumel 7 or 8 times in the last 10 or 11 years and not know where the Ferry Pier is located? :huh:

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#16 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

Oh yeah, I have seen that pier, just never paid attention to what came and went out of there. it always looked so um... "busy" I never bothered to figure out what it was. I figured it was a tour boat, not a taxi to IM or Playa.

Actually, i've only been to CZ 6x over the last 20 years

Thanks and sorry about the flaming in the other thread, some things I take very seriously. :)

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#17 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

We are coming down next month for a few days and I have some questions that hopefully the regulars can help with.

We will be flying into Cancun(airfare is about half the cost of direct to Coz) because Continental has started a direct from Austin to Cancun....but I degress from my questions. We need to buy a chair for our condo in Cancun or Playa. Not something big & upholstered, but like a wicker from Pier 1 or somewhere.

1) Would it be possible to take something like that on the pax ferry out of Playa?

2) If not, & we need to catch the car Ferry in Calica, how early should we arrive there to get on say the 4PM crossing. I guess we would also need an idea of timing for the return from Coz. Oh, we would be coming in on a Sat. & leaving on Tues.

Thanks for any info!

Mike

#18 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:36 AM

Had my schedules backwards for the car ferry.....would need to catch the last one from Calica at 6PM.

Thanks!

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users