13 replies to this topic

#1 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

A post on TA Cozumel forum yesterday stated that folks Going thru Cozumel airport now need to put carryon liquids in a sandwich sized bag, not a quart sized one like we are used to, and that the bags should be purchased at the airport, otherwise stuff is confiscated and thrown out. Anyone else experience this or know anything about it?

#2 burlygirl

burlygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:My kids and all they do. Reading. Researching vacations. Wine. I'm also crafty!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

What the heck?! Really? <_<

#3 Sandy H

Sandy H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

I just copied this directly from the TSA website, http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/311/index.shtm:

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure.

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

Sorry, I should have specified that this referred to Cozumel airport, not all airports.

#5 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:28 AM

Sometimes there are some specific issues that the Coz airport treats differently. My wife is an artist and has a special umbrella that she uses when she paints outside. US TSA and the airline we used allows an umbrella as an additional carry-on. We were fine going to Coz. But when we tried to go thru the security check (after we had already checked our luggage and couldn't stuff the umbrella in there), they would not let us thru. We appealed to the airline and to the airport managers. All the airline could say was that it was OK with them but the COZ security had other guidelines. We had to leave the umbrella in Coz. I guess on my next trip I'll pack all my liquids in the checked baggage for the return trip.

#6 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:25 PM

dan, if you bring down an umbrella again, i will happily keep in my store for you for your visits. avoid luggin it back and forth. just let me know.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#7 TC

TC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:An avid cook, sailor and all around water-baby, our bareboat sailing and diving adventures have taken us to ports in the Carribbean, French Polynesia, Thailand, Africa and Australia where we lived on-board for weeks at a time interacting only with locals. But our special love is Cozumel -- where we spend much of each winter for the sun, the food and the reefs. 2013 will be our 20th year at the Coral Princess. When not on the beach, I travel world wide as a courier for The National Marrow Donor Program - transporting donated bone marrow to leukemia patients in need. Next big adventure.....Botswana!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

Just returned home last week from Coz and it seemed that airport security could not have cared less what we had. They barely glanced at anything. Didn't even have to unpack my IPad or take off shoes. Its surprising to hear that they are strict in any way. We didn't even bother to remove the few little liquids in our carry-on and no one so much as blinked.

#8 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:11 AM

Nauticab, thanks for the offer. Actually, I had a couple hours before the plane left so I walked over to my friend's (Pancho - the dive master) house and left it with him. You may have more room than him so perhaps we can switch storage locations when I'm down in May. By the way, are York Peppermint Patties still un-obtainable in Coz?

#9 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

glad you didn't lose the umbrella! not a problem to switch locations.
sadly enough, york peppermint patties are still unavailable in cozumel. hint hint. :)
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#10 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

If you back your kids dirty underwear (business side up) right on top, they just look in and zip it right back up. Ive done it several times when bringing back conch shells, the big seed pods from the orange bloom trees and other items I wasn't sure about. Works every time.

Sam

#11 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

I read that post as well, but if you read it again, it says one of their travelers had three one quart bags. They took two away....as they should.

Also, size bag is a "sandwich" bag? Not very accurate to me in terms of size.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#12 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:39 AM

plesae don't buy conch shells. they are often extracted illegally and if taken from the sea (even with no animal inside), you have taken the future home or refuge from a sea creature.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#13 corki

corki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:24 PM

It used to be you could carry a bottle of water into the waiting area (through security) and then had to toss it at the gate before getting on the airplane. It was the opposite of the US. Now they take the water at security and you have to buy a new one inside the waiting area....

#14 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

No problem with quart sized bags this time, though make sure your bottles are marked. The guy confiscated my husband's two unmarked bottles of mouthwash, each one ounce. :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users