• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 joanie4c

joanie4c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

I am wondering if there is a season or location (east side) when sand flies & mosquitos are bad? I will be in Cozumel March 26-April 2. Should I come prepared with insect replellant? Thanks in advance!

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:08 PM

I always bring a small bottle of bug spray with me. It has come in handy on several occasions (like Holbox!). I just keep it in our beach bag.

#3 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

I always take a BIG can of bug spray...and take it everywhere I go.

#4 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

Sand Fleas: Skin So Soft (Off has no effect on them). Mosquitos: Off If you can find Skin-tas-Tick, it has both skin so soft and Off in it and will work for both. I suggest you bring a bottle of Band-Aid Itch Repellent. It works very well, after the fact. If there is a lot of rain expect lots of mosquitos at sunrise, sunset and anytime you are in the forest. Sand fleas avoid the heat of day, but will come out if it gets cloudy and there is a drop in temperature.

Cozumel Diving

#5 moonman

moonman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

We found Skin so Soft to be utterly useless. The only thing that has helped us in the past contains Deet. I realize all folks are different and body chemistry varies. I'm sure the local population is not as "tasty" to the little buggers as the juicy tourists visiting La Isla. But just be aware that you may need something powerful if they find you to be a yummy dispenser of tasty food. The local aloe plant can also be helpful if you're in a pinch.

#6 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

The original "Skin So Soft" was bath oil that they discovered repelled biting bugs on race horses. Since then it became popular as an insect repellent, now Avon markets a special formula (I think with vitamin E) for mosquitoes. I have heard negative comments about the modern stuff, but have never used it myself. I long carried a small bottle of the original Skin So Soft. As long as it was in my day pack, I never had problems with mosquitoes on numerous trips to the jungle or in Cozumel. After hurricane Roxanne and the 56 inches of rain that fell in three weeks, the mosquitoes were fierce especially downtown. When there is a problem, the pedestrian area is out of reach of the fogging trucks and the bugs get so bad they almost block out the sun. I watched a Mayan lady sitting on a bench in front of don Nassim's while I was sitting on the plaza wall. She had a cloud around her and she was swatting and fanning constantly. Ever notice how local indigenous will seem immune to what is annoying everyone else? The mosquitoes drove the Mayan lady away. My first absolute perfect chance to test the product. I quickly applied the Skin So Soft and sat down exactly where she sat. I could see mosquitoes all around, but none were landing, none were biting. Finally after six years of always carrying a bottle,(this bottle was two years old) I was amazed to see the effectiveness. I knew then that there must be a problem and it was too good a product and too cheap to not have corporate interference. When it was mere bath oil that was good for washing race horses or taking a soak for humans, we can't have something that in a large bottle costs $5 dollars, is non-toxic, safe for delicate skin, safe for use around plastics, children etc. Thank God Avon came to their corporate senses and changed the product completely. I again have no experience with the current stuff, but I have heard it is nothing like it was originally.

The alternative to DEET containing products is icaridin, also known as picaridine, KBR 3023 etc. It seems to be more prominantly marketed all over the world except North America. In Mexico it is sold under the brand name Autan. The original formula of Autan I thought was worthless and I believe this came on the market in the late 1990s although it has been around longer. It is supposed to be potentially less toxic to delicate skin (children) and doesn't damage plastics as can DEET. Test reports I have read say the percentage affects the length of effectiveness, with 10% being good for only two hours. It seems that the 20% solution has good lasting power and various tests have compared it favorably or better than DEET. I'm not bothered under normal conditions, but the wife will get bitten if there is one mosquito in the block. Opinions vary as to which is better, DEET or picaridine. I'd be interested in any one's field testing here for comparison.

Why do mosquitoes come out right after it rains? I hadn't seen a single mosquito in weeks with the hot and dry weather. Less than six hours after the very first rain, I killed two inside the house. Remember dusk and dawn is when they are most active, but the species that carries dengue is active all day.

#7 QueenAngel

QueenAngel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:55 PM

You should always have some repellant with you, they can get you especially at sundown. Deep Woods Off works OK, as does Autan. Another product that is quite successful at keeping both mosquitos, no see ums, and sand fleas away is Cactus Juice.[url="http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/"]

#8 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

Skin So Soft only works on sand fleas. It won't work on mosquitos. The only thing that works for me with mosquitos is something that has DEET in it like Off.

Cozumel Diving

#9 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

Being from Louisiana we grew up around mosquitos. North, South, Central Louisiana they are everywhere. Of course some places more than others but they never go away.

A few weeks ago we had weather in the teens and low 20's for a few days. Then we had a slight warm up to the mid 50s'. I was at the fuel pumps at work and was swatting mosquitos while I was filling up.

In case you didn't know the brown pelican is not the state bird of Louisiana. Not even close. Hands down the mosquito wins. We think our mosquitos are large enough to fillet and fry up for supper.

We have two large bug zappers we keep plugged in at our house in Cozumel and they seem to really keep the rascals in check. The biggest difference is the size. The ones we have are tiny. You rarely hear them buzzing around. Once in a while you will see one but the zappers are constanly going off when we have wet weather. They may be small in size but they never give up.

#10 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

Skin so soft has never worked for us...the old stuff or the new stuff. I use deet.

#11 joanie4c

joanie4c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

thanks everyone, we'll come prepared!

#12 woofem

woofem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

A great product for mosquito or other bug bites is Andantol. You can buy it here in Cozumel at any grocery store or pharmacy - it's in a white tube with red lettering. Apply it as soon as you feel a bite. The itching will go away and the bite will disappear within a few hours. Just an FYI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users