6 replies to this topic

#1 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:54 PM

Hola,

Does anyone know if there is a medical rental place on the island? Looking for a wheelchair for my abuela while she's here.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

there are no rental places to my knowledge. I would check with Cruz Roja on 65 to see if they can assist you.

Perhaps someone on the board has a chair to lend you.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

There is a place on Hildago right before avenue 20 that does artificial limbs, they sell assorted accessories, canes, walkers etc and I believe they rent wheel chairs. I'll try to check tomorrow as I have an appointment close by. Another place that would know is Dori pharmacy. When do you need it and for how long? And just a basic, "generic" wheel chair?

#4 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

Found one!

I went to Dori, they were completely clueless and borderline rude.

There is a place right across from the Conalep on 30th that has all kinds of orthopedic shoes, canes, wheelchairs, walkers, etc, etc. I was able to rent a basic wheelchair for 100 pesos/day and had to leave a form of ID for collateral. And to top it off the man that was working was totally helpful and nice.

My grandmother really enjoyed the parade last night, and traffic was stopped for us at every intersection on the way down and back. She's looking forward to the grand finale tonight :D

#5 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

i went to dori last night for a family member and they knew exactly what i was talking about (maybe you got there on a bad day??) and they rent them for 50 pesos a day, with an open voucher as deposit for the chair.

however, for possibly long term, or for at least a month, even 50 pesos a day adds up. anyone on the board have a chair???
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#6 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:02 AM

Must have been a bad day... I asked at the Dori on ARS between 15 and 20 (I think)... Is there another location? I'm kind of shocked they knew what you were talking about, as I got some blank stares and a firm "no". I even asked if they knew of anywhere that would rent them, and got the same response...

Mega has a wheelchair for sale for $2500 (kind of steep), but if you needed it long term, you may be able to sell it when you're done with it... Just an idea.

#7 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

i said to them "hay un lugar donde se rentan sillas de rueda?" and they said "aque las rentamos". not sure if you didn't know how to say wheel chair in spanish.....but there was no hesitation.
anyway, looks like there is no need for the chair. at least for now...
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users