Our favorite restaurants -- Feb 2011

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TC

TC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:An avid cook, sailor and all around water-baby, our bareboat sailing and diving adventures have taken us to ports in the Carribbean, French Polynesia, Thailand, Africa and Australia where we lived on-board for weeks at a time interacting only with locals. But our special love is Cozumel -- where we spend much of each winter for the sun, the food and the reefs. 2013 will be our 20th year at the Coral Princess. When not on the beach, I travel world wide as a courier for The National Marrow Donor Program - transporting donated bone marrow to leukemia patients in need. Next big adventure.....Botswana!

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

We're just back from spending the month of February on our favorite island. Just thought I'd jot our restaurant thoughts for this year. Thanks to you all for keeping me posted on new places and new locations for old favorites.

** Fratelli's -- absolutely loved this little place. They've done a great job converting the old Manatee location. The food was outstanding. Four of us had dinner on several occasions. Starters of the Fratelli salad (lettuce, beets, apples, and goat cheese), followed by two of those great puffed up garlic breads (comp at Fratelli's), two special pizzas and two entres of lobster stuffed ravioli, a bottle of delicious red wine and two "glasses" of white (which was nearly a whole bottle in a decanter over ice) and the grand finale of flaming crepes (at table by the chef) -- total bill, $100 for four people! What a value. Everything was delicious and the staff is charming. Sadly, we were the only customers on most nights. I hope this place makes it.

** Del Sur -- OMG! Those empanadas are wonderful, but the veal sweetbreads are "to die for". The salad is delicious and the Argentine wines are real winners. The steaks are big enough for at least two, if not three, people. Rene is charming. Visited here three times. Love it.

** Kondesa -- Another great entry from Kris Walenta. A few rough spots with service in the first week, but the setting is beautiful and the food is outstanding. Try the guacamole trio and the cucumber cooler. A great place for a special evening.

** Olive (Le Chef) did not disappoint. Our final week they had fresh tuna on the menu. We made a whole meal of tuna starters (sashmi) and grilled tuna mains -- done to perfection (nearly raw).

** Tried Candela's evening menu. Food was very good, but the service could use a refresher course. We had to track down the waitress for a second drink. Found her playing on Facebook with the bartender. I guess its slow and they get bored.

** Sorry to see the Rock & Java Thai Noodle shop diminished to such a small place at Mega. We really like their food, but there just isn't anywhere to sit now. I hope they pick up a new location later.

Casa Mission (for Valentine's Day) -- in 18 years this was our first visit. Its a beautiful location, but we felt the food was a bit "dumbed down" for our taste. Still a lovely special occasion place.

Especia's -- still love the grilled fish with cilantro sauce. Mostly love Abraham's music! Can get a bit noisy here with lots of wind surfers partying with Adrian.

Lobsteria -- good food on a very rainy night. A bit overpriced compared to other places we found.

Old favorites that just continue to deliver:
  • Parilla Mission (the BEST tortilla soup!)
  • El Moro (the BEST fish, shrimp and lobster)
  • Guidos (wonderful shrimp and garlic pasta)
  • Kinta (delicious -- everything!)
  • Camillo's (can't live without his fish tacos for lunch)
  • Rock & Java (best burgers and fries - when we need a taste of home)

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:17 AM

Thank you, I needed a refresher.

Having dinner at Kondesa on Thursday, and want to try Fratelli's

Olive's for the fresh tuna...love it.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:15 PM

We were there Feb. 12-19 and you listed some of our favorites. I think Kondesa may have become our favorite. I thought I would post pictures from the places we enjoyed. I hope the link works.

https://picasaweb.go...LjO0tGD5t29ngE#

#4 TC

TC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:An avid cook, sailor and all around water-baby, our bareboat sailing and diving adventures have taken us to ports in the Carribbean, French Polynesia, Thailand, Africa and Australia where we lived on-board for weeks at a time interacting only with locals. But our special love is Cozumel -- where we spend much of each winter for the sun, the food and the reefs. 2013 will be our 20th year at the Coral Princess. When not on the beach, I travel world wide as a courier for The National Marrow Donor Program - transporting donated bone marrow to leukemia patients in need. Next big adventure.....Botswana!

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

Do go to Fratelli's. They are head and shoulders above Prima at half the price. I don't know the chef's name but he said he had worked in Mexico City and also trained in Italy. I really, really, hope to find them thriving when we return next year.

#5 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for posting your list. We are staying in the north this next trip (11 days: woo-hoo!). I've made a list and plan to get out to Fratelli's as well as

The Armadillo (lunch-Calle 6 y 15)
Al Pie de Carbon
San Carlos Pescaderia
Buccanero's on the water
Kondesa
La Herradura

As well as our beloved must do's:
Otates
Guidos
Los Seras
Albinos for fish (late lunch-early dinner)
Las Palmas (lunch)
Getting a BBQ chicken on 30th
Don't forget Kinta
And of course, the jamon, cheese & jalapeño empanadas at Zermat's
and the Cozumel Panadería on 10 & 3

Wait, don't I need to lose weight? :o
:lol:

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#6 eaton53

eaton53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Bowling, Sports, Computers... I'm a Senior Product Designer and Engineering Project Manager. Been to Cozumel a few times.

Posted 12 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

As a guy who likes good cheap eats, I love to go to El Foco, then walk to the bakery at 3 Sur and Ave 10 for desserts.
Delicious and costs 20 bucks tops... for two people. And for us there are always leftovers, which make some really awesome beach food.

#7 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

With the closing of Tres Gatitos, one of our new favorites is Los Careycitos Loncheria at Ave 65 & Calle 4 Norte. Best panuchos and salbutes on the island!

#8 brigid

brigid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

when did tres gatitos close? we ate there in feb. and it was one of our faves. it seemed busy much take out and people dining in

#9 DiverDown

DiverDown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

I'm a El Foco fan too, and man, their pico is HOT!-) Good margaritas, too. For a cheap and awesome lunch, Sabores, just down the street, is wonderful. Great food, nice people, great value. Can't wait to be there again.....

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

We just ate at Tres Gatitos about a week ago? Is it closed now?

We also went to El Fish for the first time. They throw the Botanas at you, free if they offer them, while you are drinking. We could have eaten only them and been fine. We did however order the garlic lobster tail there. It was REALLY good. I mean REALLY. (And I am a cold water lobster guy.) Mostly locals there. One passed out on a table, one offering to dance with the girls. Lots of local charm. Loved it.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#11 eaton53

eaton53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Bowling, Sports, Computers... I'm a Senior Product Designer and Engineering Project Manager. Been to Cozumel a few times.

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:16 AM

I'm a El Foco fan too, and man, their pico is HOT!-) Good margaritas, too. For a cheap and awesome lunch, Sabores, just down the street, is wonderful. Great food, nice people, great value. Can't wait to be there again.....

Sabores... another of my faves. I always gotta go there at least once.
It's like eating home cookin' in someone's back yard because... well, you are!

#12 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

We just ate at Tres Gatitos about a week ago? Is it closed now?

I had heard 2 months ago that they were closed. They were not open the 2 times we checked during Carnival (after 8pm) which is what led us to Los Careycitos (the owners are related to the owners of Tres Gatitos). If they are still open, I'd appreciate any conformation. It has always been one of our favorites on the island.

#13 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

I know Tres Gatitos was still open and in operation months back when they were "reported" to have closed. Someone went by in late afternoon, they couldn't read the signs in Spanish and assumed, reported it was closed. Very likely during Carnaval they could have had a food stand in one of plazas and not open at home. Whenever I get over there, I'll try to confirm and post their hours.

#14 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

During Carnival Week, they were open. I am pretty sure it was Sunday, 3/6, we ate there before going to the Plaza.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users