• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

I cant remember when we were there last time if we ran into any problems with not knowing much Spanish. I took 6 years of Spanish but dont remember much. Are there any references you guys know about online that could help me out with my Spanish? Or do you guys know some phrases I need to know?

#2 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:40 AM

I have already read the article of how to more than a visitor or whatever its called. I am also downloading an app on my phone to help me. Im sure it will work even if I dont have service

#3 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:54 PM

You won't need spanish. It helps to know a few phrases and especially paticular questions you may need. The locals appreciate your attempts to converse in their language but being a tourist destination just about everybody understands your needs. Just be nice. You are in their country speaking a foreign language.

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#4 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:19 PM

The local Mexicans really appreciate it when visitors attempt to speak Spanish.

There used to be a motto at Carlos & Charlies: "We don't speak English, but we promise not to laugh at your Spanish".

Don't be embarressed about anything, most of the Americans that live here and/or own condos here do not speak Spanish. The locals will love ya for trying.

I think it's great that you want to try. Hope you have a killer vacation.

Cozumel Diving

#5 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, books, food, culture, people, fish, art, the world.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

I think most people appreciate it when you smile and say hello, good morning or good evening and please and thank you in Spanish. Even if you don't know anything else, those are good things to remember. If you took six years of it you might be surprised (and happy) at how fast some of it comes back. Once I'm there for a little while mine gets a lot better. Smile, relax and have fun!
I'm a fish!

#6 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Im excited. I cant wait!

#7 ericadawn

ericadawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

My hubby & I got translation apps for our phones. He's already been pre-loading what he considers "useful phrases", but most of them involve complimenting females, if you catch my drift, lol!

#8 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

Let me mention a couple things I've done. 1. There is a 'learn conversational spanish' program called Rocket Spanish. Its a CD/MP3 product that I've used to start learning Spanish. It is about 30 45minute 'lessons'. If you have the time for it, I found it very good and it only costs about $95 bucks. It also has 'intermediate' lessons and other add-ons that are very inexpensive (like about $50). It is like a 'rosetta stone' type of product. 2. I recently found a REALLY cool phone app call Jibbigo. It costs $25. It works without any wifi or G3/G4/G5/G6 connections. The screen has two buttons. First you press the top one and speak English. The words it thinks you spoke display on the screen (so you can check its interpretation). Then it speaks the Spanish translation (with the Spanish words written on the bottom of the screen). Then the spanish speaker presses the bottom button and speaks Spanish. The spanish words are displayed (as a check), the the phone speaks the english translation. WOW! Is it cool! On my past trips I could usually make myself understood as long as I limited myself to simple concepts. (Even though once when I was looking for ground pork at San Franciso grocery I pointed to the ground meat case, said 'Quiero' and then oiked like a pig.) Now I think I will be able to have more in depth conversations with people and not be limited by my poor language skills.

#9 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:16 AM

I downloaded an app to my iphone that is pretty good its called translator. It seems pretty accurate on the small things that I already know. So I think I will go with that. I doubt I will have any time to do any kind of learning. I will be working all the way up till I get there and I have many other things to do before I go. Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users