Looking for Info about a House on 5bis and 19

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

Just got back from a week in Coz. Stayed at Casa Martillo on calle 19 and av 15. I noticed a house on avenue 5bis, second lot south of calle 19 for sale. It has a irregular flagstone style facade and is partly pink. It is very overgrown with vines and most of the windows on the second floor appear not to be in place. The lot next to it and a little towards the back is full of brick debris. (I looked at the street view on google maps and see that when the google pictures were taken there was a house there but it isn't there now.) There is a 'for sale' sign with a phone number but I must have copied it down wrong. It had a 'contact Sr Romo' on it. Does anyone know anything about this house, how to contact a sales agent, or why the house next door is now a pile a broken concrete? Any help in exploring this is appreciated.

#2 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

I live near this address will have a look later and post the telephone number to you on this site

#3 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

the house next door was knocked down and had stood empty for years the numbers on the notice are 019988873 then Sr Romo 897 I presume 019988897..The house next to it appears derelict thats all I know at the moment hope this helps

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

Be wary of FSBO signs from Mexican sellers. They are notorious here for being impossible to buy from. Half the time they just put it on the market because they're curious what kind of a price they can get. Then they change their mind. Or at the last minute just before time to start signing papers, they decide they want more money. Usually better to go through a realtor for those kinds of places.

That said, we bought our lot directly from a Mexican seller and we did not have the problems described above. But I've heard of many such cases so watch out for that or you could be in for some bitter disappointment down the line.

#5 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the info. Since you live near there, any issues to be aware of in this area? Does it flood? Are there sewage or odor problems?

#6 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

Carey, thanks much for the advice! The home looks abandoned to me and there is a "you have not paid your electic bill so we're turning off your electricity" notice stuck in the front gate that is dated June of 2009. I will proceed with great caution (and will probably ask the good folk of the CMC webland many questions during this process).

#7 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:53 AM

Carey is right about be wary of private sales and ask why has it been standing for so long empty and left in such a state without any upkeep ...its looks as though the garden has moved inside the house ...basically you need a lawyer for any sales please dont hand over any money even for deposits without a lawyer present there are people here can recomend a good notary and lawyer when you need one ,best to get your own and not one recomended by the seller

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

Unless Pat lives in the same block or the same gulch as this house, it will be difficult for her to say based on her own personal experience whether this lot you're interested in floods or not. It can be block by block and involve things like a big dip in the street outside the lot, clogged or inadequate city drainage (although a lot of this has been fixed in recent years.) There could even be a mini cenote under your property like at Tamarindo rentals on Calle 5.

You need to send someone over there or be there yourself after a really heavy rain and take a look.

Traveller89, a personal friend of AJ and me, saved us a lot of grief with doing that very thing. We were such rubes at the time - 1998 -- and it didn't occur to us that flooding could be a problem. Traveller said the flooding was bad on our lot and we'd better put in a lot of fill before we laid the foundation. Our architect/builder at the time who turned out to be a bad idea as we found out later, was very insistent that 18" of fill would be enough. We stuck to our guns and added a meter.

As it turns out, we should have added even more. When the ground water rises after a big rain storm -- 12" plus in a short period of time will often do it -- and certainly Wilma did it, the water at the back of our lot submerges the garden, comes up onto the terrace and seeps in to a level of about 2" over the entire bottom story of our back house, the one we built on the low spot. So had we added another even 5" we would have been saved by the bell. But as we weren't here to see it ourselves before we started building, too late now. And Traveler could only make an estimate and wasn't off by much, was he?

Our next door neighbor, just over the wall, gets about 3 feet of water -- maybe more -- when we get a storm like that. We call it Peter Pan Land of Mosquitoville back there at such times and are glad we put in the fill we did.

On the other hand, out at the street end of ours and our neighbors long, narrow lots that front on Avenida 15, there is NO flooding. There's a dip down from the street to a low point about 50 yards back in the middle of the block. So that's something you can check -- watch for dips like that.

However, back in the hood in places like Ave 85 near the airport, my Mexican friends have had several grim periods when their house flooded to WAIST HEIGHT and stayed that way for a week. And as far as I can tell, there is no discernable dip there.

Don't count on the Mexican seller to tell you the truth about flood problems. it's Buyer Beware to the nth power in this neck of the world.

#9 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:31 AM

Boy, is it helpful to have such knowledgeable and friendly folks giving advice about these things. Thanks again, Carey and Guitarist!

#10 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

One of the many things required by the notario for the closing is proof of all bills paid. If they aren't paying the electric, I would presume that goes for water, property taxes and garbage. It's this has gone on for quite a time, the bills could be costly.

#11 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:38 PM

Any suggestions on how to dial that number from the US. I've tried 011-52-987-998-8873, 011-52-897-998-8873, and 011-52-01-998-8873 and I keep getting a "your international call could not be completed" message.

#12 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:17 PM

maybe Karen can tell you if you would be liable for all unpaid bills if you boughtthis everything has to be cleared before the sale goes through ... you might think its a bargain but have a look on the realtors sites and some cheaper end homes have probably been more well looked after than the one you are looking at but its up to you as far as flooding goes it used to be bad on our street ave 15 but they have recently put a drain in but my husband has to go out and brush the rubbish off the drain because it runs in from the main avenue and fills up with crisp bags and general debris

#13 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

the telephone number is missing the proper area code. there are no local cell phones in the 987 area code with 998. that is usually cancun.
cancun digits are usually 998-887-1234 or something along those lines.
the number is wrong, simply put.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#14 zoloft20

zoloft20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:05 PM

i can only tell you carey is right,, i bought my home in corpus- in the year 2001- it was just a shell
from a mexican business man,,,,,,,, we bought the land and he started building for himself and
his wife decided she didnt want to live there.... but we luved the location and the house, the
builders, were great, and all the workers that completed it, however,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no on EVER
TOLD US THAT WE are the lowest on the island,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,which meant we recd the most
water when it rained, ON THE STREETS AND IN THE YARDS AND HOUSES.. WELL, we went to the Palicio
and complained along with neigbors, and our mexican businessmen that we bought the house from.
took months and months but finally all our bitches helped, they fixed and paved the street like
4 years later. we secured our windows, along with hurricane shutters, and now, so far so good
but BUYING PROPERTY in mexico can be very tricky,,, use a realator always.... alot of paperwork
involed and u should have someone there that can translate to you, since everything will be
written in spanish. we have to get our fidocomenco translated. its about 200 pages !
so , stay away from the lowest part of the island is which where we live
5 and 23..................corner property Casa Rita,,,,,,,,,,,,we use to get floors, like you would
not believe..............................................but I WOULD NOT TRADE MY HOUSE FOR ANYTHING
ILL just buy a canoe lol
NO REALLY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,STAY WITH PEOPLE THAT KNOW THE INS AND OUTSS... DONT try doing
anything alone, like that in cozumel !
Good luck , any questions, my husband is a pro at this stuff, hes been there, done that, shopped
around for all the laborors, they were great, started from the bottom up even built a pool.
go by it,,, Casa rita 5 and 23 all white, last house on the left coming from malgar

#15 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:49 AM

Flooding can occur from obvious low spots or places that are not very obvious, but get all the drainage from the surrounding neighborhood. There are other locations that flood because right below the ground surface is rock covered with a layer of clay, almost completely non-porous. Just for fun try sticking a knife in the ground. If you hit solid rock at four inches, bad sign. Look at the soil and if it is predominately clay, that is a very bad drainage sign too. The area around calle 2 and 30th avenue used to be bad for that. My neighbors recently dug a trench for water pipe and they had three days work with a jack hammer. That was pretty obvious as their property has two meters of rock like what you see at the CAPA office on avenue 15. I often suggest people try to look at property after a decent rainfall. This is good advice when considering renting a place, but if you're buying, really important. Corpus Christi has many places prone to flooding. Good water sports at Lake Chedraui after every rain.

Cell phones, besides the wrong number aspect, if they are out of credit and/or have their phone turned off or out of area. If the sign is old and weathered. Watch what a call from the States might cost you and somewhat address exactly how to call a cell phone here from the States, it was last year that the extra 1 was added to prevent a huge cost to the receiving end as well.

#16 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

Dan, try 998-887-3897....., I was by there this morning. I know the house, it has been vacant for many years, I was told it was over priced by a friend that looked at it...., that said, it has many possibilities, but the makeover could be $$$$. The house took 2 - 3 feet or more of water during Wilma. The area of 5 bis/10 AV at calle 19 south to calle 23 is one of the lowest reidental areas in town, around 2 feet above water table/sea level, a house that I know well, has a well and the water table is about 2 feet below the level of a ground level patio, it took nearly 4 feet of water during Wilma, it has been flooded 3 times in 10 years. I feel sorry for those that bought in that area, but if are aware of your surroundings and you take a close look at walls and the jams, you can find high water marks and realize the possibility of flooding. There are other area in town that sometimes flood, before you buy, look around and ask questions of those who own nearby or those of us who have been here for some time.

NOTE: Casa Rita is on 5 bis at Calle 23.

T.

#17 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

Dan, what Traveler just told you, is true.

I also went by today, and unless you want to live in a fish bowl, I would look elsewhere.

In addition, what goes on here is quite different then what goes on in NA. You think you have a signed contract, for X amount of dollars, and the seller will simply say "No"...

In addition to what may be owed for taxes, CFE, and garbage the owner can simply say, "you pay them".

And lastly, if they haven't paid any of the above bills, what makes you think they are going to pay the capital gains tax on the sold property? I have seen twice now, where the owner take the cash, and your left to eat their dust.

Guess who will have to pay the CG taxes...YOU.

As a reference point, the CC sale price for vacant property averages, per square meter is :$210-$235 usd's. Of course, some will be higher (location, location, location) and some might be lower (fat chance).

You will find what you want, just take your time, and do exactly what you are doing...ask questions.

Also, I would like to provide the following site that may give you the type of background information that will be helpful in understanding the laws,taxes, and responsibility.

There is a page one, but you already know a lot about Cozumel, so I giving you page 2 first.
http://www.cozumella...d.org/Page2.htm

I also want you to know that my husband who wrote the document, is an agent. He created the site strictly for informational purposes...no selling.

If you go it alone, make sure you hire a lawyer before you sign anything or lay out any money.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#18 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

re: rain and drainage...
charles, i have to challenge your comment about sticking a knife in the ground and if you hit rock in 4 inches, beware. our property has maybe, just maybe 3 to 4 inches of topsoil. of course the house was built another 30cm above ground level, but when they did the foundation, immediately they were on HUGE rock and within less than half a meter, bedrock (or laja). (bedrock is the point at which they need to start the cimentacion, or foundation...if on rock, it will shift with time, the bedrock is never gonna move)

any downpour and within 30 minutes, the little standing water i have is sucked down into the ground. we only put a little bit of dirt on top of the existing ground just so we can actually grow something. the excellent drainage is partly due to the fact that we have a pozo, or well, and next door to us is a small (very small) cenote. which means that the ground is very porous to feed the cenote lines. it is limestone and sucks the water down fast.

while the knife test may be valid in some areas, it is NOT always the case. best to just go check it out DURING and AFTER the big rainstorm. after alone isn't always the best. you may have good drainage after you get flash flooded. happens in lots of areas. gotta see it during a heavy rain.

after wilma, my property had ZERO standing water. i live in maravilla, just on the east side of 65 and 11.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#19 judydivescoz

judydivescoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

My husband and I looked at that house a few years ago. We spoke to and agent who told us that the owner had a mortgage on the property that made it a bit complicated to buy. We got to walk thru it and it needed to be totally gutted, it even had pink carpet (yes carpet in Cozumel!)on stairs that was pretty moldy. Each bathroom was grosser than the next. We liked the locaton as well but were told by friends in the area that it flooded. I think at the time the seller wanted $275,000 US which is far more than it was worth to us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users