#1 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

Greetings all. Tax season is upon us, and I'm grateful that mine are filed. HOWEVER, I just received the following from another owner in our condo complex. Are any of you familiar with this filing requirement?

2010 US TAX RETURN REQUIREMENTS IF YOUR MEXICAN PROPERTY IS OWNED IN A MEXICAN FIDEICOMISO
OWNING REAL PROPERTY IN MEXICO REQUIRES SPECIAL IRS FORMS 3520 AND 3520A IF YOUR REAL PROPERTY IS LOCATED IN THE FEDERAL RESTRICTED ZONE
(This is also true if you are beneficiary or creator of any foreign trust including a fideicomiso)

If you, as an American who does not have Mexican citizenship, own a home or other residential real property located in the "restricted zone" close to the coast in Mexico, the Mexican constitution has been construed to require that you own it in a bank trust called a "fideicomiso." The Mexican bank acts as trustee and you as the equitable owner of the real property are the beneficiary. The trust has a term of 50 years and can be renewed thereafter.

Under US tax law the fideicomiso meets the definition of a "foreign trust." That means you are required to file Form 3520 when you initially establish the fideicomiso or foreign trust and the trustee is to file Form 3520A for each year thereafter. The Form 3520 is to be filed by the extended due date of your tax return. Form 3520A is due on March 15 of each year for the previous calendar year. You can apply for an extension of time using Form 7004. These forms must be filed for any foreign trust controlled by a US citizen or those of which a US citizen is the beneficiary. This rule includes "asset protection trusts" created in other foreign countries also.

Some international tax professionals have argued that the fideicomiso is not really a trust but is an agent for holding title to real property in Mexico. Recent discussions with an IRS International Division Counsel has reaffirmed that the IRS considers Section 6048(a) to apply to fideicomisos as used in Mexico and Form 3520 and 3520A should be filed. They have indicated they have no current plans to issue any future rulings on this subject. This means regardless of the recent articles written by some attorneys stating that in their opinion a Fideicomiso does not have to file these tax forms, the IRS DOES NOT AGREE with those opinions. If you ignore the IRS position that the Forms 3520 and 3520A must be filed, you at risk of being assessed very high penalties for failing to file these forms.

Items that are required to be included in the 6 page Form 3520 include:

The name and address of the trustee and all beneficiaries

The value of the property and money transferred to the trust

Distributions from the trust

Copies of Trust documents

The name of any US agent appointed for the trust, etc.

If you fail to file Form 3520, there is a penalty charged equal to 35% of the value of the property transferred to the trust, or of any unreported distribution. This penalty can be waived by the IRS for reasonable cause (which has not been clearly defined). The IRS has issued no guidance with respect to what is considered reasonable cause for failure to file Form 3520 and 3520A for a Mexican fideicomiso. We have helped many taxpayers who have filed this form late or are many years in arrears, and to date have successfully had penalties assessed for late filing abated. There is no guarantee the IRS will continue to be so generous in the future.

The Form 3520A reports each year's income and expenses for the trust. It includes a year end balance sheet for the trust and information on distributions made to beneficiaries. The US owners or beneficiaries of the trust are subject to a penalty of 5% of the trust's gross asset value for failing to file this form. Penalties can be waived for "reasonable cause" but as stated above, what that reasonable cause is has not been defined by the IRS. You must file this form if the Trustee Bank does not. To date, to our knowledge, no Trustee bank in Mexico has agreed to file this form for the US Fideicomiso beneficiary. Therefore, you must file it because you as an American will be the taxpayer who will be penalized if it is not filed, or if later the IRS discovers it should have been filed but you do not cause it to be filed.
Many clients have asked us if it is possible for the IRS to discover if they own property through a Fideicomiso in Mexico. The answer is YES! When you purchase the property the Mexican registry of foreign property ownerships gets a copy of your passport. Your US passport is tied to your social security number. This information is regularly sent to the IRS. The US and Mexico have a tax treaty which allows them to conduct tax investigations and receive information on each other citizens in the other country. Therefore, should the IRS wish to discover which Americans have Fideicomisos in Mexico, it would be easy.

When you purchase property in Mexico outside of the "restricted zone" you can have title in your name and is no requirement to file these forms. The same non fiing requirement holds true if you purchased commercial property using a Mexican or foreign corporation. However, you should be aware that as a US Citizen, you are required to file Form 5471 each year with your tax return if you hold a 10% or more interest in a foreign corporation any where in the world. There is a $10,000 penalty for failing to file this form.
If you have rental property in Mexico owned by a Fideicomiso, you must report all income and expenses of the property on your US tax return each year. You can however, claim a foreign tax credit for any income taxes you pay in Mexico on that rental income against any US tax due allocable to the net rental income on your US tax return. Because the rental property is located outside of the US, it can only be depreciated using the 40 year straight line method of depreciation.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#2 dangen

dangen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

Just had this brought to my attention last week. It seems it is part of the FATCA act which was passed last year http://usexpatriate....y-2010-has.html
It very likely will be a royal pain in the ass if you are just using your Fidi for your home. I would be very interested in any further info.

#3 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

Dammitt,dammitt,dammitt. Ow well thank you for this posting. As soon as I finish this post I will inform my CPA, who just today finished and filed our taxes ,what he thinks of this news. I should not really speak my opinion of this news as somebody may have children who read this forum. I must say that if I lived there full time and no longer kept our Colorado residence I would tell our great country to kiss a duck.

#4 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

I'm pretty peaved about it myself. I no longer have a residence in the states and live here full time. I've sent this info to my CPA as well and she's going to research it. I didn't sign my fideicomiso papers until 2 weeks ago, so it may not apply to the 2010 taxes. I already feel like telling our country to kiss a duck! This is ridiculous. I really wonder how closely it's checked. My luck.... I'd get caught if I didn't file it.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#5 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:42 AM

Wow. Thanks, Kandy, for researching and posting this. What a pain!

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

In regards to the 3520 that Ron mentioned, I found this article.

6th, and 7th paragraph down, starting with "Many People".
http://www.taxesinme...y_20Jan2011.pdf

The article comes from the site http://www.taxesinmexico.com/
(article mentioned above can be found under "tax information"

I have no information about the author, or validity of the information that is provided.

With that being said, it is a bases to start to do research with your accountant, CPA, or Tax Attorney as to what/if you have any tax/income liability in regards to reporting it in your home country.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if you could use the U.S. Consulate for U.S. mail for IRS and Social Security issues? I'm talking normal postage would still apply, but the mail would make it to the U.S.P.S. via diplomatic pouches without going through the completely non-functional Mexican mail system. On related matters, the U.S. Embassy was completely useless in filing for Social Security benefits and being outside the U.S. excludes many online options for electronic filing and reporting.

You shouldn't be renting a home held under a fideicomiso "trust", you have corporations to own income producing property. Talk to a Mexican certified accountant about that one. You would be responsible for paying taxes to Mexico first on income derived from Mexico regardless of where the money changes hands. Mexico has managed to ignore the situation in Cozumel/Quintana Roo that has long been enforced on the Pacific coast, SAT even sends notices in both Spanish and English. As supposedly the sharing of information between Mexico and the U.S. continues to grow, both the IRS & SAT should be exchanging information including banking. The U.S. could make the most minor changes that would greatly ease matters relating to ex-pats that are still paying revenue into the system. It is no easy task to find a competent accountant qualified in these matters. I went through hell trying to find someone that could do a return that included income from U.S. Virgin Islands, a U.S. territory with uses identical W-2 and 1040 forms, I had to give up and go with someone that produced a return that looked good, but I know was incorrect. I finally found an accountant that seems to know almost everything and if she doesn't know, she finds out. I have stuck with her for years and will continue even though I have short form returns.

I believe the IRS estimates it should take less than three hours work to file a simple, short form return now. I pay an accountant to do it, but in high school I could fill out a return in ten minutes. Do you think they would have greater compliance if they didn't work so hard to make things complicated? I don't think a fideicomiso is the type of trust the IRS had in mind, but it is a trust and you better CYA always. The IRS has become so complicated they offer tax payer assistance, but the last I saw their assistance was wrong up to 65% of the time.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:42 AM

After a little research, I found the reason for the "opinion" of the author of the site I posted.

As I stated in my post, I had no way of vetting the information as being accurate, or true, but strickly to be viewed as a starting point to ask YOUR Accountant, CPA or Tax Attorney the question(s).

As Ron has pointed out, and Charles confirmed, it was wrong based on conflicting interpretation of what a "Fideicomiso" is.

The reason it is not correct is that some professional (example in the site I posted) do not consider a Fideicomiso to be a trust but is an agent for holding title to real property in Mexico. Therefore, the conflict.

However, the IRS does not hold the same conflicting opinion, and the form(s) must be filed.

With that said, I went to the US, IRS page and found the forms Ron has been referring to.

Form 3520-Annual Return to report Transactions with Foreign Trusts...http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3520.pdf

Form 3520A http://www.irs.gov/p...-pdf/i3520a.pdf

If Kandy had not posted this information in the first place, most of us would be happily obvious to the BOLDER that is/may be hanging over our heads.

Ron's post about the reporting forms would not have been known either without a discussion that has followed.

It is only my opinion, but transfer of information is critical to all of our success.

Sometimes, even when it's wrong, it triggers research, and correct information being posted.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

Printed a copy of this off and dropped it off at our CPA's office a few days ago. I'm interested to see what he finds. Been using him for years. Hopefully just a few more papers to file and no back taxes or penalties.

#10 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

This is not so bad, so fear not! Kandy's revelation couldn't have come at a better time and thanks to Karen for doing the research...

For those that don't use the services of an accountant and didn't know that Fides should be reported to the IRS:

-- If no tax is due (you have no income or you've already paid the tax on any revenue), the IRS will waive failure to file penalties under its 2011 Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Initiative (OVDI.) You must file by 31 Aug., 2011.

-- You may apply online for a tax ID (EIN) for the trust. Link not working, so google "File for EIN online" and it will come up...

-- Once you have the EIN, fill out a 3520 for the initial trust year and 3520A's for each year thereafter. Attach a statement as to why the forms are filed late and mail to the appropriate IRS Service Center per the 3520's instructions.

-- In the future, answer "yes" to the question regarding owning an interest in a foreign grantor trust, Form 1040, Schedule B, Part III.

#11 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

Don't recommend Correo Mexico under any circumstances. Internationally, use Fedex or DHL. Or ask someone going back to the US to mail with Delivery Confirmation, which gives you a tracking number. (Priority Mail is very reasonable.) You don't have to pay extra for signature delivery if you use the USPS.

If you have a relative in the US willing to help, you can fill out the form, scan & email or fax it to them for mailing. If no tax is due, they receive it on time and your file is clean of misdeeds, the IRS probably won't worry about the fact that a copy was sent vs. the original -- they understand that you are out of the country and did the best you could -- plus it's too much work for them to follow up.

#12 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

For those that don't use the services of an accountant and didn't know that Fides should be reported to the IRS:

-- If no tax is due (you have no income or you've already paid the tax on any revenue)

How does one produce revenue with fideicomiso held properties, not corporations as required? Taxes on legally rented, revenue producing property must be reported and subject to Mexican taxation before the IRS gets their hands on any money. No, it doesn't CYA if you receive payment in the U.S. and just declare it on your U.S. taxes. Since the IRS and SAT continue to exchange information and share data banks, what happens when Mexican SAT learns of U.S. taxes paid on Mexican income? What will be the back taxes, fines and interest due to Mexico, not to mention the higher commercial rates for utilities charged of commercial property? Besides the assorted taxes due besides IVA, the 3% hospitality tax intended for tourism promotion never gets paid. Many collect it "supposedly", but many websites of rentals still add 10% IVA and 2% hospitality tax, but those taxes are long since been raised.

Since SAT has sent out annual notices to condo owners and other property "owned under trust", for years on the Pacific coast, they even send the notices in English and Spanish, no one has any excuse of ignorance of the law. If you come forward and volunteer information and claim ignorance as an excuse, Mexico often gives you a break (more than you have a right to expect). These assorted unlicensed, non-taxpaying properties offer unfair competition to all those legal and hurt the island collectively with lack of contributions toward promotion of tourism. As the government squeezes legal business people harder to obtain every last drop of revenue possible, hostility increases toward those they don't pay as why not tap an open and obvious source before sending legally licensed businesses to SAT taxation hell. It amazes me that so many people can invest such money in a foreign country, know so little about the law and requirements and make "common cents assumptions" based upon experience in North America. It is a different country here, if not a different planet. If I was going to pluck down hundreds of thousand$$$, I'd sure want to do my homework on rules of both sides of the border.

Granted it borders on impossible to understand on both sides of the border. It can be a challenge to find the right people that will tell you all you need to know. Again, wouldn't it be wonderful if the assorted U.S. Consulates provided mailing assistance purely for communication with the government, the IRS and Social Security as examples? You could certainly try to claim you mailed the forms to the IRS and if it has only been five years, maybe it hasn't arrived yet and will eventually and bear a post mark as mailed on time. Mail service to the States is not nearly the problem from much of the world as it is in Mexico. Mexican Post office is doing better, I have seen the motorcycle postman three times in the last week.

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

who to heck is Karen? And what is it she did?

Anonymous

#14 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:52 AM

Karen is the friend who called the IRS for more info and learned about the OVDI program. She did the work that makes catching up delinquent reports easy for many of us. Many thanks, Karen!

#15 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:03 AM

Correction re obtaining tax number:
The IRS onlne application doesn't cover foreign trusts.

The IRS recommends that you download form SS-4 and fill it out as follows:
Line 1: Name of the trust per the trust document.
Line 3: Name of the bank that holds the Fide
Lines 4a-5b: Your addresses
Line 6; Mexico
Line 7a: Your name as owner/grantor of the trust
Line 7b: Your SS#

Then telephone the IRS international trust department at 215-516-6999 (or 215-516-1040) and ask for an EIN number. Be sure to tell the agent that you are calling from Mexico and that you are the grantor, owner of the trust and you are authorized to sign from SS-4. (Signed return not required.) To help the agent describe the type of entity you're applying as, explain that you need the EIN to file form 3520, not Form 1041.

They will assign you a number over the phone.

#16 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

More corrections to prior posts!

I finally had a chance to read the instructions for forms 3520 and 3520A and understand a bit better what these two are about:

Both forms need to be filed each year.
Do the 3520A first -- this the trust's annual report (file under trust's EIN) and you need to attach the Owner's Statement part of it to the 3520 to complete that return.

The 3520 is the US. citizen/trust grantor's report and, as far as I can tell, is filed under your name and SS#.
In Item 2, Who Should File, 3520 Instructions, the return needs to be filed annually whether or not there are trust-related transactions.
This return may be filed jointly if there is more than one owner of the foreign trust.

Will let you know if/when I learn more. Please let us all know if YOU find out anything new!

Buena suerte & all best,
Deb

More re applying for EIN: Don't fool with the SS-4, just get the name of the trust per your annual billing statement (for example, mine is Trust 8002), the bank's mailing address, your SS# if you don't know it, and call for an EIN.

The corrected phone# to apply is 267-941-1099, option 2.

For most of us, the Mexican bank name & address don't fit the space they have to enter mailing addresses. You can use an "in care of" address -- like your home in MX or a US mailing address instead.

They're getting tons of calls for Fide EIN's right now, know what to do and make the process very easy.

#17 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:12 PM

The 3520 and the 3520A get filed but the 3520 you only file once and the 3520A gets filed every year.
The 3520 goes under you SS number since you are not assigned an EIN number then the 3520A goes under the EIN.
Do not use the bank address!! I did and when there was a problem they notified the bank and I never was notified . I only found out there was a problem when I called them for a question on an extension. The problem was that they did not have my 3520A for several years since I did not have an EIN number they did not file it. But all communications went to the Bank and that is not good!!

#18 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

The 3520 and the 3520-A get filed but the 3520 you only file once and the 3520A gets filed every year.
The 3520 goes under you SS number since you are not assigned an EIN number then the 3520A goes under the EIN.

The first statement is incorrect. 3520 is filed every year. The first clue is that the IRS has named it the "Annual Return To Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts."

The instructions for Who Must File state:

"2. You are a U.S. person who, during the current tax year, is treated as the owner of any part of the assets of a foreign trust under the rules of sections 671 through 679."

Sections 671-679 apply to Grantor Trusts, which is what a Fideicomiso is.

That instruction goes on to state:
"You are required to complete Part II even if there have been no transactions involving the trust during the tax year."

These statements make it very clear that 3520 should be filed each year.

Re 3520-A, the Trust's tax return: This is supposed to be filed by the institution that holds the Trust. This return works just like the domestic trust return (Form 1041) that issue K-1's to beneficiaries and similarly to a 1099 where the payer both reports to the IRS and sends a document to the people it's paid during the year. K-1's and 1099's, as you know, are used to prepare individual returns.

With the 3520-A, each trust owner receives a Foreign Grantor Trust Owner Statement (FGTOS) as well as an attachment explaining "the facts and law...that establishes that the foreign trust...is treated for US tax principles as owned by the US person." The FGTOS serves as both a wake-up notice to file your annual personal return (3520) and a consolidated report of the info needed to file.

The IRS recognizes that Mexican banks don't comply with 3520-A, so it has placed the responsibility for filing on the US person(s) who own the Trust. Since this is the case, it's best to use a personal mailing address when applying for the trust EIN so that you receive any correspondence the IRS sends out regarding the trust. When applying for the EIN, let them know you want to use an "in care of address", especially if your mailing address is in the USA (vs. Mexico) -- the EIN application must show that the taxable entity resides in MX.

Ron -- You may catch up any unfiled returns for years 2003-2010 by filing per the instructions with an explanation of why they are late. No failure to file or late penalty will be imposed by the IRS if filed by 31 August, 2011. 2010 Form 3520 is due on the regular due date for your personal income tax return if you want to get that one out of the way first.

For those who file Form 1040 or 1040A: In the future, remember to check "yes" to the question about interest in a foreign trust: Schedule B, Part III.

#19 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

To help you complete the FGTOS, Form 3520-A, here is sample text for the attachment required by Line 7.
-----------------------

Form 3520-A. 20XX (year) Continuation Sheet

Name of Foreign Trust EIN

Foreign Grantor Trust Owner Statement, Line 7

This trust is a Fideicomiso -- an irrevocable, renewable beneficial trust created to comply with Mexican law concerning land ownership in that country by citizens of foreign countries. The corpus of the trust consists solely of a deed to real estate in Mexico which is held in trust for the foreign owner(s) -- in this case, U.S. citizen owner(s) -- by a Mexican financial institution. The trustees/owners reported here enjoy all rights of ownership, including the right to sell, lease, encumber and pass the property to heirs under U.S. law.

The IRS treats Fideicomisos as Foreign Grantor Trusts, citing Sections 671-679 of the Internal Revenue Code. Under Section 6048, it requires annual reporting by the trust on this Form 3520-A.

To comply with IRS International Tax Gap regulations, U.S. owners of Fideicomisos are required to file Form 3520 for any tax year in which they have an ownership interest in the trust.

The information contained in this Foreign Grantor Trust Owner Statement is provided to aid in preparation of owners' income tax returns and Form 3520.

#20 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

I am speaking to the IRS as I type I am on hold. It seems from the first rep that you only file if there is a reportable event or an outstanding obligation.
The first year the creation of the trust is a reportable event. Since the trust earns no money and has no investments there is no reportable event or outstanding obligation. Therefore it only has to be filed once.
If you go to the form and instructions read who must file.
When the reps supervisor comes back on line if he says different then what the rep said I will post. But it seems you do not have to file more then the first year. And now that I think about it that is what my accountant said years ago.

I hope I am right I am almost sure I am.

Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users