• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

Went there for lunch today. View out of this world. Great food, great service and
fair prices.

#2 jic811

jic811

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:00 PM

Where and hours open?

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

One OBJECTIVE review of Rolandi's...any more?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:29 AM

I've eaten in the Rolandi's in Playa with my parents before putting them on a private van back to the CUN airport and was not terribly impressed with the food. It being a chain, most definitely a chain albeit a small one, I can only assume that the sauces such, as for example, the ones they put on their lasagna are going to be the same recipe throughout the chain.

Lasagna was what I had and it was kind of mediocre in my opinion. Nothing lively about it to pique my interest. Not a lot better than Stouffer's in other words.

The venue is killer. You are right on the water on that outside wooden deck. So that makes up for the so so cuisine to a large extent. Also the prices are considerably more reasonable than at, say Guidos or Le Bistrot, two fine restaurants with an Italian flair.

I'm a little concerned that Margariteville is right next door. I had dinner with some friends at a restaurant that had a short life in that location about 1.5 years ago ?? and as the evening went on, the noise level next door seem to increase and you could see that flashing light from some giant video screen system they must have set up in there. I'm thinking it could be non-peaceful when the cruiseships are in and they're trying to beat out Senor Frog's and Carlos n' Charlies for tasteless entertainment appealing to a Low Common Denominator.

#5 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:32 PM

As I mentionned, for lunch, the first day it was great! Attentive service, great view. Next door M'ville did not bother us!
Everyone is entitled to the atmosphere they prefer. Yes you can hear some noise from M'ville,
but it was not bothersome, that day. We liked the atmosphere of Rolandi's as we liked it when is was Ansu.
(although they were not open for lunch). This is one more choice in Cozumel to eat at, especially for lunch on the waterfront.

#6 lovecoz

lovecoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

I do not know about the lasagna at Rolandi's, but another place where the lasagna is mediocre is Sonrisi.
Great lasagna at Guido's, also Prima's lasagna is very good.

La Herradura on 30th. also has great lasagna for dinner.

#7 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:08 PM

if you want good lasagna (and i make a pretty good one when i have the time), the one at giardina (sp?) located on 15ave between 17 and 19 is fabulous. i mean really good. you can do it take out or in their little garden restaurant. the owner is italian. wife is mexican. if you call them early, you can reserve a few pieces which are generous in size.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

sounds good. And I'm hearing from my Swiss friend who knows good food when she tastes it that that little pizza place that opened right across from where La Choza used to be on the corner of Salas and 5 has a real Italian chef (with blue eyes, she added) named Francisco who makes a killer lasagna for $60 pesos. She said he double grinds the ground meat so that it has an ultra fine texture as it does in Italy because the Mexicans (and in the US, I might add) don't grind it nearly fine enough.

I'm going to go take a photo of this place and add it to the restaurant page which may actually go up tonight. (I know. Big Talk) And that way I'll have the NAME. Which I will then POST. KaCHING. (as in cross that job of my list).

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:03 PM

Waah! That little place closed up shop! It was there last week and now it's empty. Getting a restaurant going is a tough business anywhere and with the lousy high season we've been having here this year, it's even worse.

#10 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

It helps to own the property and not have rent issues to pay. Greedy landlords have killed a few good restaurants that had real potential to blossom. Rolandi's is a beautiful location, the menu looked like it would appeal to many and the prices were not out of line with what would be average for the rent district. I have read some reviews from people that had obvious bias for personal reasons with regard to Guido's. Guido's is definitely a good restaurant, but I never understood their popularity and that some people might come here for a week and eat at Guido's five nights. It has been a long time since they were partners and Guido's still bore the Rolandi name until recently, 10-12 years ago when they changed the name to Guido's. In the old daze when Cozumel Rolandi's was still run by Trini and Guido, it was often the daily specials that were so popular. They were based upon whatever happened to be available, extra fresh and whatever Trini might want to cook that day.

It takes deep pockets and a lot of luck besides especially good food and value to succeed anywhere with a restaurant and often Cozumel presents unique obstacles. It is real hard to survive on a three month "higher season" and then be faced with nine months until things pick up again. You have to cultivate a local clientele to sustain them and often many locals that earn their living here have to tighten their belts during the leaner times.

#11 realestateroadwarrior

realestateroadwarrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Christian missions, outreach, Bible, Diving, Traveling

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

Rolandi's was GREAT! pizza, desert, view, prices, atmosphere. My new (old) favorite place. See you there for sunsets~!
open everyday 11 - midnight or so - 872-1097

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:20 AM

Can anyone give me some pricing ballpark figures for Rolandi's?

#13 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

went to rolandi's last night. can't tell the exact prices but approx:
fish brochetas (shish kabobs) were around 140 pesos
tuna steak a little more
a ravioli dish around 100 or 110
bottle of very good cabernet savignon (italian) for 450 or so
desserts around 50-60 pesos
free bread and they also have it in integral (whole wheat)

for me:
pluses:
atmosphere great
managers and waiters always nearby for whatever you may need
very professional wait service (ladies order first, the person who orders the wine does the taste test first, a purse rack next to your table, serving all glasses and plates on the proper side of the person, etc)
veggies were fantastic
food quite good (not outstanding)
nice wine list
almost all locals there....for a tuesday night, about half full at 9pm...pretty good!

minuses:
kitchen not in synch...2 dishes came out, and 10 min later the other 2 arrived
my fish kabobs were not thoroughly cooked. they returned it and it was cooked properly and tasty. (they comped my meal completely by the way and i did NOT complain other than commenting that it wasn't done at first, BIG PLUS)
we did have to repeat ourselves for several requests (more bread, the check, etc)

the minuses i feel are just growing pains that will quickly improve.
next time i will get a pasta dish or their pizza.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#14 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:34 AM

Met friends there last night. At 6pm we were the only table in the place. It was nice to see it fill up quickly.

Wonderful view, very attentive staff, reasonable prices and the food was quite good. The first place on the island that I've had calamari the was very tasty. The menu is broad, so there should be choices for most anyone.

I prefer sitting outside, but I could see where during a norte, you'd probably want to sit inside.

#15 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:20 AM

diva, you HAVE to try the calamari appetizer at Chi. absolutely delish. lightly breaded with a wonderful salt and pepper mix. really really good.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#16 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:54 PM

I guess, I could give Chi another try. My first experience turned me off, when I ordered sushi. The california roll didn't even have surimi in it, instead it has pieces of carrots. I can't recall what else I ordered, but I didn't enjoy it.

#17 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

sushi, ain't no place like midori, on salas upstairs, near dori. it isn't cheap but the sushi chef studied in DF and taught all the guys here. very very very good sushi. i'm not a fan of their egg rolls or spring rolls. i leave that to chi.

chi, fantastic and authentic chinese dishes. i agree with their sushi....not great. their chefs are chinese, the owner is chinese (wonderful lady by the way), and they import the proper ingredients. and each dish tastes like it should. jia jang or whatever it's called that is next to the original local of la choza is not (IMHO) real chinese food. at chi, try the tres coronas. wow.

chi has their same dishes as a take out service next door to telmex. limited menu but exactly how they are made in the big restaurant. that way you can try just a little.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#18 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:12 AM

Agreed, Midori is the place for sushi. The prices aren't that out of line and it's always good. In my book, consistency is the key to their success.

#19 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:09 PM

Waah! That little place closed up shop! It was there last week and now it's empty. Getting a restaurant going is a tough business anywhere and with the lousy high season we've been having here this year, it's even worse.

That place isn't closed. Just went by today and they're open. Give it another try. I believe they are closed on Mondays.

I believe the owner's name is Franchesco.

#20 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

Maybe I went two doors too far on Salas. Is it right across from the eastern most Chinese takeout place on Salas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users