• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

Hello all. We will be taking our 11 and 9 year old children on their very first major trip next month--Coz! Since we'll be on a bit of a tight budget, I'd like to keep most of our outings to "free" or "cheap". So far I'm leaning towards the Money Bar for snorkeling (we're staying at the Allegro but will have a car), Punta Sur/Faro Celerain, Sunday night in the square, and possibly the pirate ship sunset cruise (it's the cheapest I could find out of all the boat trips). I'm considering taking them to a cemetery since the kids are really interested in the Day of the Dead and the celebrations surrounding that holiday.

Any other ideas? Not really looking for ziplines and mini golf, but stuff that's unique to Coz.

Thanks!

Christine

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:55 PM

The pirate cruise is kind of a booze cruise. Not sure the kids would enjoy it all that much. I know the catamaran sailing trip is more expensive but I, personally, would rec that as the best bounce for the ounce in terms of a boat trip. Yes on Punta Sur. Yes on the Money Bar for Snorkeling although actually the snorkeling is better down the beach aways at shabby little Playa Corona Beach Bar.

Since you have a car, check out the San Gervasio ruins for an hour or so. (Be sure the hang a left at the center of the ruin and walk down a block or two to a ruin the guide doesn't take you to which is quite pretty and memorable.)

Drive to the east side of the island and along the coastal road and enjoy the beautiful and wild coast there.. Playa Palancar is very laid back and funky with a croc in the lagoon behind the place and peacock and roosters roaming about. Too far down to get cruisers.

Park at Puerto Abrigo marina north of downtown and stroll around the marina looking at the sports fishing boats coming back in. It's quite interesting and peaceful. Let's see what else?

Every afternoon starting at around 3 PM local kids come out and practice wind surfing at the Las Casitas town beach which is just north of the intersection of the waterfront and Airport Blvd. There will be many kids there just the age of yours and they can watch -- and even try there hand at it. Chucho is the teacher and I expect also the person to talk to about renter a board. (CHOO-choh) A young man in his early 30's who can invariably be found there at that time of the day watching the kids with a hawk eye from the boat landing area.

I was watching that activity one afternoon when two young German men got in with a board they'd rented and to try their luck. They were having quite a time staying up on the board but they had plenty of free helpers in the form of local youngsters eager to give advice and interact with the gringos.

[/quote]

#3 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:12 AM

Thanks Carey! I think they'd get a kick out of the surfing, and I'd be willing to bet they'd like to give it a try. I'm also not put off by "shabby", so I'll keep Playa Corona in mind. I really appreciate the suggestions. I'm paying close attention to your list of restaurants, as well, especially the places that offer comida corrida (sp??). :)

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

oh, go to the Museum...it will give you a great education of the island, the animals, and the sea life of the island.

If you go early, have breakfast upstairs (great view), then tour the museum.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:20 PM

True! How could I have forgotten el museo! And don't forget to check the little downstairs garden area behind the staircase on the right. They have a little Mayan hut set up there and you can watch the lady make hand made tortillas and get a feel of what it's like to live in a stick house. (Don't forget to leave her a tip. It's all in Spanish but it's fun even if you don't understand a word being said to you.)

#6 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

something great for the kids and adults is palapita den medio, in front of hotel villablanca on the water side. great bar and food and drinks with super music, ocean entrance by stairs or jumping off their awesome wood pier with decent snorkeling, a saltwater small pool to play in plus the sand to play in. lots of locals and tourists go there. after the cruise ships go, almost all locals. super sunsets, free to just hang out, and the food and drinks are very very reasonably priced. my fav spot to take my kid. i can have a margarita while there too.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#7 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:00 PM

Oh, the museum would be a good one--neither my DH nor I have been there yet, either. Palapita sounds really nice. Is that the place that has salsa lessons? Probably at night though, eh?

This is great, thanks!

#8 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

These are all good ideas. Remember that when you stop at beaches to snorkel you are expected to buy food and/or drinks. With that in mind I think Money Bar is more expensive than Corona Beach and CB has an easier entry for the kids. Do the museum for sure.

#9 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

Oh, I have no issues with feeding and watering at the beach clubs! Sounds like CB will be perfect for us. My daughter told me today that she is getting SO excited. I'll have to dig out the map and show her all the places that have been recommended.

#10 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:47 AM

Where exactly is the cemetery? I have the MapChick map, but I'm not seeing it listed...is it on calle 10?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users