8 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

Finally made it out to Buccano's for lunch. It's in the northern hotel zone about 1/2 mile past the Coral Princess behind that huge old condo building up north that juts out into the water, faces south and always looked like it was rotting into the sea. But which they now seem to be fixing up. Sign is there but watch carefully.

This is an absolutely stunning restaurant on the beach. Totally open air and excellent food at typical beach prices but not so typical large portions. There's a $100 peso cover charge if you don't eat and I would say its well worth it as there's a beautiful pool right on the water, all sorts of comfortable, under the trees places to sit. Just a really lovely, classy beach club. Which was barely 1/6th full at the height of high season.

Sister had guacamole and shrimp ceviche. Portions were huge and both very good. AJ had the hot buffalo wings which were great and a very large excellent looking Cobb salad. I had the blackened mahi mahi tacos. The fish was well cooked and the sauce, although too sweet for my personal taste, was definitely interesting and unusual and, again, large portions.

We all decided we would definitely come back here again for lunch!

I forgot to write down the exact prices but the tab before tip was $675 pesos for large shrimp ceviche, large guacamole, large platter of fish tacos, large cobb salad, 6 buffalo wings and a scotch for AJ. I call that a square deal for lots of good food in a truly lovely venue.

I did notice they are bragging about their burger and fries which is priced similarly to Rock n' Java. If someone tries it, give us a report. The R&J burger and fries is pretty hard to beat but maybe this place will give them a run for their money on that item.

Great place!

#2 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:08 PM

We LOVE this place and go quite often because of the ample areas of shade, fast and friendly service, kid friendly pool, sandy beach entry, and the food imo is not like other beach food that I have tried. We started ordering their bacon cheese and guac omelette, which comes with juice, coffee, a big fruit plate, and finally the omelette which takes up the whole plate...this past week. All for 9.5 usd, with all of the other breakfast items being this amount.

Best bang for the buck for us at least are the fajitas, which two can share and be filled up. Also another winner is the ginormous plate of fully loaded nachos. The size of these is just ridiculous. Had the burger and eeeeeh it was just ok. Other items on the menu that we have tried are the crunchy chicken tacos (good), BLT (good), Calamari rings (huge and way good!), and some other sammmich can't remember the name (so not so good lol).

If you have a large group there is a seafood platter that comes with calamari, fish fingers, lobster, shrimp cocktail, fried shrimp, and fries that is KILLER. Better bring at least 6 or more to eat this one.

We heard others this week saying they were charged an entry fee but we have never been charged one. Now the ship people is another story all together. I hear people saying my taxi driver charged 20-30-40$ for an entry fee. Just crazy, but whatever...NMP

I am glad to see the level of service stay the same at this location since we started going in 2005....food has not gone downhill either in quality or size, which in Czm you know one day you will get x amt of something while the next day the same plate can be completely different.

Nice review Carey! I think you should give their breakfast a whirl next time you are out there ;o)

Mikes

Forgot to add plan local gets ya 10% off you just got to ask for it.

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:47 PM

Re the cover charge, the guard at the gate hands you a piece of paper in Spanish explaining that they expect you to spend $100 pesos/person. He may be making a little one the side from people who misunderstand and think they're supposed to pay him to lower the rope. Who knows. I just told him we were coming to eat lunch and we would pay at the restaurant and he lowered the rope with no further ado.

I expect the idea is to let people know they are expected to spend a certain amount of money. Which is enormously fair. That's just a lovely spot with super amenities and an excellent restaurant. And, yes, I'll be back for breakfast!

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

Another vote for Buccanos here! We didn't make it there this time due to so many great places and so little time, but last year shared the mahimahi tacos, they were great. Such a pretty place too. No one asked us for anything when we drove in, no cover charge. Maybe something new?

Portions are so big at many places, we frequently split entrees and save a lot of $$!

#5 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

We love this place too and agree with MikeS about the nachos! Enough to feed 6 people for sure. I like their crispy chicken tacos and their guacamole is really good also.

We always bring our cooler and Mario gets us two buckets of cerveza and puts them in our cooler with a little extra hielo and they stay cold while we're there.. hielo melts too fast in the hot sun!

They tried to get us to pay the 100 pesos a couple of weeks ago but we told them "vivo aqui" and "yo no tourista" and they dropped the rope. Some of us actually call the club "rope drop beach" LOL

Mike we've never tried the breakfast but will make it a point.. that sounds scrumptious!

I love walking South in front of the building and getting in and snorkeling back to the beach - but we usually wait until 2 or 2:30 to go and that's when the cruisers are leaving.. Sundays are (in my opinion) the best day to go there!

#6 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

We've never been charged either. I always thought the guard was an employee of the large house to the south.

I can't imagine paying a fee and over the 4-5 times we've been there in the last year, we've never been asked for a fee. The food and snorkeling is very good.

Rumor was the ghost ship was being torn down.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#7 diverdicozumel

diverdicozumel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Travel, Culture, Rotary, Real Estate,Food,
    Great People

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

I have never been charged a fee to go past the rope. Simply say Buccanos! Love the breakfast! A deal at 9.5 us.
The coffee is delicious, juice, a fruit plate and main dish. The french toast is yummy. We eat there often. Owners are thinking about opening for dinner. What an incredible spot for a band, dinner...A Money Bar type place, but better, for the North siders! Hope they do this soon. Also, a great place to go for lunch, then snorkel, swim and just enjoy the gorgeous water.

#8 minneSNOWta

minneSNOWta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

(I had sent this to CMC as some recent updates for the restaurant section of the site and was asked to post it here)
Buccanos - great food, large portions moderately priced. They now have an entrance fee of $100pesos per person at the rope drop gate which gets applied to your bill as a credit. What is unclear is, for example, husband and I go there, both pay 100 pesos to enter...do we get 200 pesos applied to our one check? Or is it 100 pesos per check so we should get separate checks?

Olive is no longer Olive tho the sign is still up on the Calle 5 side, it is officially Le Chef now according to Lalo.

#9 mjs

mjs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the tip.... will have to check this place out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users