• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

Some fun, and worthwhile things to explore and do while on the island in the coming months.

Site is sponsored by the Cozumel Tourist Board.http://www.cozumel.travel/play/event-calendar/index.html

Next event is that wild, and crazy El Cedral Festival and Fair...April 24 to May 3rd.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

There is also something going on a week or so before that at Moby Dick. I saw the flyer in the bakery window...with food and craft booths etc.

#3 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

Gustavo Villegas / SIPS

COZUMEL, Q. Roo .- As part of the tour that is scheduled the National Ballet of Cuba in Mexico, the company will visit the island of Cozumel on March 29 at 7 pm.

The Quintana Roo park will be the scene where 45 dancers delight the audience, in a free role.

The Secretary of Culture in the state, Ángel Palomo Rivero, said that a preliminary presentation at Cancun was very successful and that the appreciation of art is growing in the state.

It is expected the attendance of people from other parts of the region to witness the spectacle.

Palomo Rivero, was on Thursday in Cozumel, to publicize the dates on which the National Ballet of Cuba will cover part of the entity on March 27 will be in Chetumal and the March 29, the turn of the island of swallows.

The book is divided into three acts, with a total of two hours or so.

These functions have been carried out thanks to the joint work of the Parks Foundation and Museums of Cozumel, the City and Conaculta.

The direction of the Ballet of Cuba is in charge of Alicia Alonso, the cornerstone in classical dance, and cultural promotion.

The head of culture, was accompanied by the Mayor, Juan Carlos González Hernández and the Director of Culture, Minerva Marí Hadad, in the press conference where the announcement was made public.

He said that Quintana Roo has a great inclination towards fine arts and Cozumel is no exception, so expect an influx similar or perhaps greater than in Cancun.

The scenery will be mounted in the park Quintana Roo. "The Cuban company was founded in 1948 and falls short of the best in the world and have you in Cozumel is very special," he said.

The charge of cultural policy in the state, stressed that culture on the island of the swallows has rebounded in the last three years.

For his part Juan Carlos Gonzalez acknowledged that it was not easy to bring to the company, this is achieved thanks to the support of the State Government through the Ministry of Culture.

#4 ericadawn

ericadawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:51 AM

My husband & I will be on your gorgeous island during the El Cedral festival! I've been researching this trip for a while already & I'm getting really excited to experience as much as we can.
Will there be bull fights during the festival? I'd appreciate any info anyone can give us...

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

ah, half the fun is the anticipation...

El Cedral will have bull fights, as well as really wild horse races. Lots of folk art, dancing, and events during festival.

Lots of food (vendors, and people open their houses for lunch and dinners to eat at) lots of cold Sol, DosXX's, lot of new friends to meet.

It is easy to drive, with lots of parking. If you want to bus out instead of driving, buses usually are available for pick up and drop off around Chedrui's supper market...*that needs to be confirmed.

Check out this website that covers a great deal of history about the island, and specifically about the importance of our ruins on the island.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozumel

San Gervasio ruins...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Gervasio_%28Maya_site%29

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 ericadawn

ericadawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for your nice reply! I can't wait to see & experience the wonderful sights & people. My husband & I have both been to Cancun, but I get the feeling Cozumel is extremely different.
Every time I hear about something to do or somewhere to see, I try to research it & learn as much as I can. I used to think I would like to do the "swimming with dolphins", but I'm now advising others not to do it too. We know we need to get biodegradable sunscreen & bug spray, & are really going to try to be conscious of all the natural beauty.
I don't think we'll rent a vehicle; we're staying at the Palace, so I think we can walk into town. To get anywhere further away, we'll most likely get a cab because we both drink alcohol, especially on vacation!

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

:)

Cozumel Diving

#8 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

We will be down there for this also. I would LOVE to see some of the stuff going on. We will get there the 21 and we are diving the mornings of the 22 and 23. Is there a schedule of events? Like times of the day all the stuff goes on?

#9 geovet21

geovet21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

Does anyone know if there will be a mass held at the church on Saturday 4/30/11?

Thank you.

#10 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

Check masstimes.org They show San Miguel (10 and Juarez), Corpus Christi (15 and 20), Sagrado Corazon (6 and 95bis), and Guadalupe (8 and 65). (I hope I have all the spellings right!) Also, here is the link the Cozumel page of the Cancun/Chetumal Diocesan website:
http://sites.google....o-3-san-miguel
Mass times are "misas", Saturday is "sabado" Have a great time!

#11 geovet21

geovet21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:26 PM

Thanks DanB. There is a little church in El Cedral. I cannot find any information regarding mass there. I hoped maybe someone local might help.

#12 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

Don't know for sure, but I've heard that the church in El Cedral is not permanently staffed and has no regular mass times. You'll probably have to find out more on site. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users