7 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

I stopped reading the local rags for a few months and only have vague recollections that there are reports that they are going to try and start a new ferry company. Will this be passenger or car ferry? Is it going to happen? When is it going to happen. Who can update on this issue?

#2 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

No news on this subject in the last few weeks. It's to be a passenger ferry. Investment to come from foreign sources and Juan Carlos/cronies.

I suspect it won't come to fruition until he's out of office.

Then again, I thought the Aerogolf project was dead.

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

In that case, I'll move it to the Travel forum.

#4 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

Hot off the press:
"We are prepared to start with the dirty war that may arise between the shipping lines currently in operation, since the new company called Island of Peace plans to enter service in April," said the mayor of Cozumel, Juan Carlos Gonzalez Hernandez, who said the cost of the ticket is 50 pesos and the ships will have capacity for 200 people.

In an interview, Gonzalez Hernandez explained that the businessmen involved in this project have already signed the charter, so that the municipality of Cozumel have to make a council meeting for the new company called Island of Peace, SA de CV, the municipal government to donate 5% of shares.

He said the company is about to begin work with two new vessels to be leased first, with capacity for 200 passengers each and began to provide service to late April.

"The idea is to start operations at a cost of 50 pesos per ticket. The dirty war with the competition has already begun, but the project probably will not be back because many Cozumeleños and tourists will benefit from the new shipping company," said the interviewee .

He said that irrespective of craft with which they begin to provide the service, three ships are being built with capacity for 250 people but have in mind that four ships in total to meet demand by constantly asking the community the service of maritime transportation.

My comments, ever the skeptic:
50 pesos a ticket is very tempting to "jump ship" to Isla de Paz ferries.

Impediments to success, just my thoughts.

The city council will have to approve 5% of the shares to be donated by the city. I suppose that Juan Carlos has fairly good control of the council. What of they refuse to approve? Recall the city is in financial trouble, where will this money come from?

Two leased vessels at first. That says to me this whole could fall apart if they can't make the lease payments.

Four ships are being built for a capacity of 250? Really, where's that money coming from and how long will it take to run all the other guys out of the business?

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:52 AM

will have more information on AeroDroma when I get the website.

The biggest plane I have seen is only a 6 seat'r.

Fly, Park, and live is not a new concept. Look at John Travolta place!

They just put up new "low flying planes" sign on the main road.

It is also a Mexican man who is developing this.

As for the new ferry service...my guess is THEY know more then we do as to what is coming to Cozumel.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 MexFan2

MexFan2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

Looks like a ferry price war is coming. Ultamar and Aviomar will do their best to put the new ferries out of business so they can hike prices again. I recall Aviomar tried to put Ultramar out of business at the start by lowering prices. It didnt work. Interesting they are starting with ferries with much lower capacity than the Ultrmar and Aviomar ferries. Maybe this will make it easier for them to fill the ferries and lower the operating costs.

#7 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

I don't know what people are smoking in their pipes, but possession of more than a small amount is still illegal. One can look to the short history of the NSM "El Arcángel" as to what to expect. Aviomar has always complied with their word 100% of the time. If they make a promise (threat) you can take it to the bank. It took about two years of planning and reconditioning the vessel for the Arcangel to enter service. This was owned by local businessman don Pepe Becerra with supposed investment from the community and it lasted seven weeks? Aviomar fought in court and pulled every string to block its operation. I loved the argument that the ship was too old, the Arcangel was 25 years old, but the Aviomar ships were 30 years old.

They made good on their promise to blackball anyone who used the cheaper, far more comfortable service of the competition. They took down names, recorded license plates. Once the Arcangel was forced out, they delayed boarding, denied space toward anyone that had shown disloyalty. The mayor supposedly wanted to bring back competition to lower costs and break the nature of being held hostage by Aviomar. Ultramar had their problems at the beginning with Aviomar messing with them, delaying their docking and departures, but they soon reach a friendly agreement. What was once a single company monopoly, became a two company monopoly which functions as one.

This new company was to be 5% owned by the city, 15% by locals and two 40% shares were to be to unnamed investors. Laughed at in the beginning, when Juan Carlos made moves toward developing this, Aviomar made the promise to drive them out of business and hurt the government revenue for daring to permit competition. They said at the beginning they would lower fares to $25 pesos, below operation cost. When they speak, it is Aviomar that does the talking. Ultramar just nods their head and says, "whatever you say boss". They will then start using the Langosta pier which Aviomar owns to deny revenue for use of the muelle fiscal to officials who dared to question their monopoly. Underneath the pledge to lower fares to below cost, you can bank that it includes the promise, wait until you see what fares are when we are finished.

Interesting that a girl was walking around with public survey papers yesterday regarding the ferry service. It was hard to read without my glasses, but had questions regarding satisfaction of service and which company, Aviomar or Ultramar you preferred. I decline to participate as this seemed too close to political questions even over a consumer interest.

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:40 AM

Well, all's I gots to say, is it sure is never dull living here! Thanks, Diva for the translation. Thanks, Charles for the jaundiced laughs.

Please keep us posted everyone. If they lower the crossing fares for awhile, I'm gonna make use of it while it lasts, she says, her greedy self-interest on shameless display.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users