• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 heff

heff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

My wife, two sons (8 and 13), and I will be staying in Cozumel this summer for our first time. Renting a home in the city, 'El Centro' I guess, sounds terrific. However, I am a little confused by this site. It mentions recommending houses, but I can't find where it actually does so...Am I doing something wrong?

Also, if anyone knows first hand of a good place to stay, recommendations would be appreciated. We just want a private place that is in a safe neighborhood. We like to try to get to know locals and be absorbed by the culture when we travel. I doesn't necessarily need to be a large or fancy place..clean and quaint is fine. Low cost would be a plus, as we could then afford to stay longer or do some other activities.

...speaking of which...Is fishing a costly thing to do in Cozumel? I know nothing about fishing, but when my son heard we would be by water, its the first thing he wanted to do. I told him I would look into it. I know little about fishing, so it would need to be something guided. Does anyone have any experience in this area? Or even a guess on prices?

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

Ron and Sherrie White's website http://cozumelvillas.com/ lists virtually every vacation rental on the island including almost all that are in town. You should find something to suit on their website. There are quite a few nice reasonably priced places in centro. Villa Selva is one. Check out their site and come back with questions about specific properties and we'll try to help.

#3 sailboat47

sailboat47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

This was posted on this forum just last week.

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:36 AM
Brand new (just finished in late January) 2 bedroom/2 bathroom family homes now renting, they are located on "Calle 10 norte entre 35 y 40" near the Soriana supermarket. Contact us for a no-obligation tour.

Casa Coral Rates:
$385 p/w (unlimited guests)
$Special Rates for long-term contracts (2 months+)

Contact us at:
aerosa@micasacozumel.com
arieleyanac@hotmail.com

www.micasacozumel.com

#4 heff

heff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

Yes, this was the only property that I could find on this site. As it is quite a bit cheaper than others I had looked at, it got me wondering either if there is something wrong with it or the area or if I am just not finding the right resources for these kinds of properties. Is "Calle 10 norte entre 35 y 40" somewhere one would want to be with a family? Is there a good way of finding more properties like this?

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

You've been handed the best website for intown listings on a platter. Go there and start rooting around.

#6 heff

heff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the link Carey. I looked there and found pricing similar to others I have found. $700 to 1K plus/week. Thats what gets me wondering about the places at www.micasacozumel.com that sailboat47 linked to that are around $300/week. We don't really need a pool when there is a perfectly good beach nearby (We're from KS, so that is a rare treat). Maid service is not required (would be nice though). I'm just trying to size up what is available. Are these small types of properties rare?

#7 TreeSon

TreeSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:53 AM

I also recommend www.cozumelparadisevillas.com Used to be Cozumel Vacation villas. They have a wide selection of properties to chose from.

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:28 AM

$300/week is mighty low. But it might be an intro price. You need to be a bit careful and ask lots of questions if you are renting from an individual not affiliated with a property management firm that handles multiple properties or has a caretaker who lives on the property. Sometimes this kind of place is not well maintained, even dirty. Sometimes not. It totally depends. Sometimes management deals with problems quickly, sometimes not.

Some questions to ask that will give you a feel for the property --

Is maid service included? How many times per week?
Is bottled water included and delivered regularly?
Is there AC? And how old is the unit? (No AC would be a big reason for the lower pricing so if no AC, ask about ceiling fans.)
Also if there is no AC ask about the orientation of the unit. If it faces south, run fast. Best is facing north with windows on the east and west ends of the house to catch the tradewinds.

Safety is not going to be a big issue pretty much anywhere in town. No problem walking around at, say Calle 10 and 35. There is some gang activity back in that area, I'm told. But they're not going to bother you. Except maybe make noise if you happen to be located near one of their party hang outs.

Another place I just thought of to check is Laura and Jim's website. Can anyone add that please? They're local property managers and handle just a few rentals. Perhaps the prices would be less.
Finally Kelly Matthias at http://www.cozumelconcierge.com/ handles four or five intown places that might be more reasonably priced and work for you.

Realistically, do not expect to pay much less than $600 for a one bedroom vacation villa centrally located in town that has AC. I would also advise focusing first on homes below Avenida 30 in the Centro neighborhood. And then expand your search to the Corpus Christi area going no further back then around Ave 25.

#9 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

Here is the website for Laurie and Jim:

http://www.cozumelrentalhomes.com/

I rented through them last year, they are very good to deal with, and the homes are spotless.

Valli

#10 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

I had some email communication with Ariel (from the micasa site) about her properties on Calle 10. Since I will be solo this trip I decided on a hotel close to the square for this trip but I also find the pricing for these places surprisingly good. I am arranging for a tour of the places so that I can consider them for my next trip when more of my family will be with me. I'll be there in mid-May and would be glad to send you some photos/info/opinions after I've seen the places. Don't know if you can hold off on making your reservations (or are comfortable waiting that long). You can 'google map' cozumel to see where calle 10 and avenida 35 and 40 are but you won't see her places on streetview since they have been built since the streetview photos were taken. (One positive on that is that they are very new places.)

#11 heff

heff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

I thank everyone for taking the time to try to help. I have checked out the links and done a LOT of rooting around on my own and am starting to get a picture of how things are. I get a little OCD when planning trips so please excuse me! Its just nice to have all of the details planned out beforehand to avoid problems while on a relaxing vacation.

I found a property that looks pretty interesting that is near the intersection of Benito Juarez and Ave 30. Would this be an OK region to stay?

#12 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:55 AM

This is a very busy intersection, so lots of traffic all day and into the night...?
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#13 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

I would also check out vrbo.com. We rented a condo at Las Ventanas condos on the north edge of town. They are very modern new condos in a nice complex with a huge pool. Based on some of the prices I've seen for other villas I believe they are very reasonable for what you get. For summer they rent for $900/week for 3 Bedroom/ 2 bath. Nice kitchen and laundry room. They are only one block from the waterfront in a very quiet safe area and close to everything. The one we rented is not listed any longer but here are links to two others.

http://www.vrbo.com/348469
http://www.vrbo.com/164610

#14 Mi-Casa-Cozumel-Rentals

Mi-Casa-Cozumel-Rentals

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:35 PM

Hello I am Ariel, Owner and Manager of Mi Casa Cozumel Rentals. I understand why you think our prices are low compared to other properties on the island. The reason is, we are a family-owned business we have no employees so that's why we try to keep our rates low so people can return to our island more often. We also do not offer extra services like TV or internet.

We do everything ourselves (marketing, cleaning,airport/ferry pick up etc) Our newest property "Casa Coral" is $55 per night and this is final. Just multiply it for the nights you'll stay with us and that is what you end up paying. It is that simple.

Some questions that Carey asked were:

Is maid service included? How many times per week? We do not offer this service, yet.
Is bottled water included and delivered regularly? Yes a 20 litre blotted water is given to the guests at no extra cost

Is there AC? And how old is the unit? (No AC would be a big reason for the lower pricing so if no AC, ask about ceiling fans.)2 AC's one in each room plus 4 fans. one in each room plus 2 in the kitchen/living room. Casa coral is less than 2 months old, is not even on google street view.

Also if there is no AC ask about the orientation of the unit. If it faces south, run fast. Best is facing north with windows on the east and west ends of the house to catch the tradewinds. The houses are always chill because of the multiple fans and AC's

The houses are extremly clean, this is our first priority. Each house takes us up to 7 hours to clean, and we do this every time a person rents with us.

Again you can stay at another hotel and while you are on the Island we can give you a tour to see our properties for yourself (we also have 2 other properties).

Cheers
www.micasacozumel.com Affordable Cozumel Vacation Rentals.

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

Ariel from the website, and your description the places are very, very nice and reasonable.

The local is okay, with kids being near the grocery store, and restaurants to walk to will be a bonus.

The only consideration(s) I would have is the surrounding neighborhood, and transportation.

I would not consider staying past 25, unless I had a car to rent, and even at that getting to the beach is not really walkable (with kids in tow, and distances).

With those considerations, what you offer is much better choice then what I rented when I first moved here.

Your suggestion about staying at a hotel first, then checking out your's and others is the best advice anyone could give...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#16 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:08 PM

Being new is an important consideration. It most likely will be constructed of the modern materials, not solid cement that holds the heat and bakes all night like an oven. New with new air conditioners means no radical mold, mildew issues which are very common in still fairly new constructions. From consideration of allergy reactions now, I will only rent new places with new, well maintained air conditioning.

Regarding Juarez and 30th, it depends upon how close and where. It could be noisy from the street at night (maybe not) since that intersection is one of the busier on the island. If you have the option of advance checking and are interested in longer term rental, you might check and see what the conditions are during both day and night. I try to check the insides during afternoon heat. I have lived in close proximity to two cantinas which gave me pause to consider the noise level. Cantinas close before dark so they have no night time disturbance. Living close to Las Boyas, I could hear the music (a lot professional quality) during the afternoons, but it was never a disturbance. The flip side a few years back, a very quiet neighborhood in el centro, a restaurant opened and then later decided to host a live band playing from 10:00PM to 1:00AM on Friday and Saturday nights. Sometimes places can be night and day different between the days and nights. You can never know what may be built or move to close proximity at some time in the future. The problem used to be roosters and you may not want to live within four blocks of peacocks depending on how the sound carries. Your neighbors and neighborhood can make the big difference and you can never judge how things will be judging only on outside appearances.

There are a lot more public transportation options routes that pass through the different colonias now, not just on the main roads around them. Three colectivo adult fares equals the price of a taxi. I prefer to be close to avenue 30 as I generally prefer to stay away from downtown or near the waterfront in the daytime. I appreciate the areas that have long term Cozumel residents, people that I consider more friendly, more typical of the traditional values here, people I consider to be of higher class.

#17 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:37 PM

East of 30 on Juarez at least isn't bad at all at night. One of the first places we stayed when we came to visit the island many a long year ago was the old B & B Caribo which is at the corner of Juarez and Ave 40. We stayed in an apartment on the second story at the front and didn't find it loud at all at night. They still rent little efficiency apartments but I believe it's all long term at this point.

#18 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:26 PM

I am partial Las Ventanas. Only about 4 blocks to the square. All nice three bedroom units with laundry, dishwasher, etc... What you want is a nice top floor with some ocean views. Like B404....

For full disclosure, its ours.... jefe@casadejefe.com :)

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#19 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:45 AM

Yes, the Las Ventanas condos have a good location in my opinion. Very quiet location and just a couple of blocks down to the waterfront. Haven't seen any of the units but it's pretty new so that's a big plus. You can easily walk to the little Sedana market for basics and things you've forgotten but a car or taxi would be nice for large trips to the two big groceries, the Mega and the Chedraui. You could do a nice exercise walk over but take a taxi back.

#20 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

We don't really need a pool when there is a perfectly good beach nearby (We're from KS, so that is a rare treat).

You are really going to appreciate having a pool in the summer, especially with 2 kids.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users