• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Tricia

Tricia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:30 PM

I was reading the tripadvisor forum and came across this story about a pastor who rented a vehicle, was in an accident, and ended up in jail (long story short). Is this true? It sounds a little embellished.

We are renting a jeep from Isis at the end of April and this story scares the heck out of me.

"Saved from hell in a jail cell in Cozumel"
http://kerussocharis...at-cozumel.html

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

From everything I have heard, buy all the MX insurance. Apparently there is something about the wages when you injure someone and the insurance. I have heard of people being held at the station until a deal is cut, sometimes days, prison is supposed to be less likely. I'll keep driving though carefully.... :)

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:50 AM

I read that story the day I went to pick up my rental car from ISIS 19TH March,I near fell on the floor with shock
but reading the story it was a moment of distraction which caused the accident and we all know what can happen
when you get distracted, Myself I am noted for being one of the world's worst for not concentrating when driving but
after reading the story it gave me new sense of the word concentrate. Just drive safety and slowly especially through
the back streets.Have a great holiday.

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:23 AM

Oh My God... That is the biggest load of bible beating horsesh*t propaganda I have ever read!

I wish I had that 10 minutes of my life back!

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#5 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:17 AM

I am tempted to send him a fabricated email as if I was the Mexican Police stating they he is going to be extradited to Mexico to complete his sentence...

He deserves it for spreading such garbage...
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#6 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:40 AM

hmmmmmm

http://boards.cruise...d.php?t=1381165
Do you really think someone would really take the time and effort to write this if it were not true

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:13 AM

ABSOLUTELY... The extreme Texas bible beaters will stop at NOTHING to spread the almighty gospel. He really had me believing that load of garbage until he brought religion into it....

#8 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

Apparently there is no shortage of lunatics. So because the guy is a Christian he is automatically lying? ROTFL! I have a friend that lives here that just spent a couple of days in jail for hitting a parked car, injured no one and they also had insurance.

Cozumel Diving

#9 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

Not saying that at all, but I know religious propaganda when i see it

#10 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

And a car wreck is religious propaganda? Just FYI: It's a true story that is well known among locals. The religious aspect....I am not interested in it, BUT the guy who posted did everyone a favor by letting them know that even with full coverage things sometimes don't work out as planned, which is very true.

Cozumel Diving

#11 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

No, you’re failing to read between the lines. I am saying the entire story is made up. The car wreck and fear factor was what reeled you in. The bible beaters here in Texas do this cr*p ALL THE TIME. There was no accident, there was no criminal, there was no jail, there was no saving of anyone. I am not saying that the story was not possible, but this SOB took you from Texas to California via New York, then once had you reeled in, launched his crusade to make you a believer.

#12 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

But if just one heavily tattooed child molester has his soul saved.....and after his salvation, The Lord touched the judge's wisdom and decided to not accept the five year old girl's testimony, ignore all the physical evidence and accept the declarations made by two employees of the accused mother, Alan goes free! Praise God Hallelujah. I'm sure mom has him back working at preschool along with the two other employees that kindly gave declarations in his behalf. Since The Lord has now saved his soul, we can know with confidence there is no danger of him being a repeat offender. Here's one more instance of pedophilia on the island, another involving a school employee (his mom owns the place) and another one goes free to not sin again! This incident (Alan's arrest) caused quite a stir on the island, but nothing like what was created by the judge's decision to dismiss the charges. Could I make this up?

The poor man was probably so deeply in touch with The Lord, looking for a fresh soul to be saved, God directed him to turn off the highway at 25MPH onto the old access road and broadside a moto, knocking the two riders into a ditch, both with compound fractures of their right legs. A car bumper does painful things to the legs of people when hit at 25MPH. All this became a Divine Mission to save the soul and it turned out that The Lord had a true dregs of society in need of salvation and having his charges dismissed. Glory! For those with faith, this one was SIN with capital letters. Hopefully The Lord will lead him to seek older girls, closer to puberty next time. One might guess that he wouldn't be hired to work at another school with older children, at least not one that wasn't owned by his mother, but The Lord can work in mysterious ways and this one was a lot stranger than most!

The young girl that was "supposedly" victimized will not be attending and my guess the enrollment may have dropped some. When I first read this man's blog and saw that it was Alan as a cellmate, I knew this one was going to be good. I thought the whole affair, all aspects was too offensive for me to bring up here, but as long as it is here, there are lots of articles archived in the papers over the arrest, general scandal and then followed by the judge's decision. It sounded like Alan pretty freely admitted what he had done. Hats off to the young girl that presented such temptations that he could not control his actions, all along it all seems directed by a Higher Power to lead this scum bag to salvation.

Texas holds no monopoly on religious fanatics. My favorite from Florida was the Daytona Beach prosecutor who was also a pastor. He ministered to Ted Bundy for years while Ted was waiting execution for murdering the 38 women whose cases were proven beside the conviction of killing the 12 year old girl which led to his death sentence. After his execution, the pastor/prosecutor assured everyone that Ted Bundy had been saved, born again, all his murders were forgiven (not by the families of the victims), but could now go to heaven and sit at the side of The Lord for eternity!

In His Name we can read: http://www.noticarib..._guarderia.html Lots more articles as this was the biggest island news of the month. The young girl that "tempted him so", aroused his animal instincts and passions, she may be damaged and emotionally scarred for life, but hopefully she can find comfort that she played a role in a sleaze bag's salvation. I guess since he was the animal's religious counsel, he shouldn't be called to give evidence of the confessions he heard. I don't think any of the facts were in dispute, he pretty well confessed to the crimes, but the judge decided he should go free. The victim's family attorney (remember victims need attorneys too) was beyond furious.

Years ago I was told, what you do doesn't matter so much, it is to whom you do it to that counts. Hey it is in the last daze of the current administration. There are lots of stories of people that were jailed that shouldn't have been and lots more who walked that should not be on the streets.

#13 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

Wow dude, you're really effed up...

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

Mark
You might be interested to know that Charles and CZDM live on the island full-time and are fluent in Spanish. As in read the local news daily. When they tell you this really happened, you can believe it. I don't blame you at all for being skeptical. But having lived here now for 10 years myself, I believe just about anything and the weirder and wilder the more likely it is to be true. Worst stuff that happens here is perpetrated by foreigners against other foreigners. I don't know anything about this story. But if Mikie and Charles say it's true, it happenened.

This forum, you see, is a little different than a lot of travel sites you'll go to because it's not just for visitors -- it's also for ex pats who live here all year round or most of it. So you will get the straight skinny on these boards because of them. We're all a bunch of loud mouths, let's face it. But we don't embellish or fabricate or repeate 3rd hand information we've read somewhere else and try to pass off as a personal scoop as is the case with quite a few people who post on travel boards.

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

I would go directly to one of the key sources of information, Anne Harris, The US Consular Agent in Cozumel.

Ms. Harris was called out in the blog, and has first hand information in regards to the level, and accuracy of the information posted.

Email: usgov@cozumel.net

To be honest, it sounds true enough to me.

A friend had a accident a month or so ago, and it cost an additional $3K usd's for lost wages for one individual on the scooter whom was hit by my friend (dog pile at the intersection).

As a foreigner, you get on a plane, a ship or high tail it out of the country, what is the victim to do? How would they receive compensation for things (such as lost wages) that are not covered by insurance?

Perhaps the demand for wages was high(by whom standards) but I also wasn't the one with a broken leg, no income, and no scooter.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#16 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:46 PM

I am also glad this was brought to our attention because we rent a car every year and I had always assumed we were covered buying ALL the insurance including the SDW when we rent from Thrifty. We are always responsible and take a cab or walk when we are planning to have drinks... but accidents do happened and people should be compensated for loses and injuries. Can you buy insurance to cover lost wages in Cozumel? I am reading on the other forums the larger rental companies along with Margarita carry this type of insurance ?

#17 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

The man did mention in the 20 years as Consulate representative (actually 15 and about 14 too many) Anne had never seen the Cozumel jail before. Everything that the man stated with regard to Alan, being paraded before the press etc, accurately reflected what was portrayed in the media. I just hope that when, probably not if, the "saved" man is arrested again, for the same charges, all those who had a hand in turning him loose will face a just punishment.

A human life used to be worth about $50,000 pesos. It was cheaper to kill someone in an accident than for them to be badly injured and have medical bills mount up. When Kirsty MacColl was killed and the peon deck hand "confessed" he was captain of boat, not the owner billionaire Gonzales Nova (Mega, Commercial Mexicana)nor members of his family. The flunky was found guilty of culpable homicide and received a prison sentence of 2 years 10 months. Instead of the prison sentence, he was allowed to pay a fine of $1,034 pesos (about $90USD). He did have to pay compensation to Kirsty's family of almost $2,150 USD. What is the earning potential for an internationally acclaimed singer and song writer?

Recently a settlement was reached between the hotel in Playa whose lobby blew up, killing five Canadian tourists and two hotel employees. The hotel agreed to pay the family of the security guard something like $9,000 pesos monthly for 20 years. I had never heard of compensation like that before. I know of several accidents where people were killed and the settlement was for $50,000 pesos and paying for the funeral. Chump change in punishment in one case of killing two people while driving drunk. An attorney worked pro bono on behalf of a minor left orphaned when her mom was killed in an accident. It was a true accident, the driver had an obstructed view, but was going against a stop sign. The attorney found a loop hole to collect twice, once from the driver's insurance and again collecting through their household insurance policy. The attorney managed to get 2X$50,000 so the 7-8 year old girl did have a trust of $100,000 pesos to pay for her needs and education.

Previously accident victims were lucky if they had most of the damages and medical bills covered. Until recently I hadn't heard of collecting for lost wages or lifetime earning potential as in the security guard in Playa. Compensation for pain and suffering, take an aspirin. When Kirsty was killed and the scandal over that, the press reported new pressure from the mother of an Argentine who had died in an accident. After six years she still had not been reimbursed for the costs of shipping her son's body home for burial.

Mexican law, still Napoleonic Code based upon early 19th century French law has started to make changes and revisions. The criminal codes have had more changes than civil or labor law, they're probably solidly mid-20th century now, but here we enter the second decade of the 21st century.

If you have car accident insurance, if any alcohol consumption is involved, you will be considered impaired and the insurance null and void. I try to warn people about drinking and driving. It won't be about blood alcohol level, or whose is at fault and the cause of the accident, if you have consumed alcohol, it will be assumed you would have been able to avoid the accident even if someone ran into you. It is very normal to be detained until all damages, medical bills are paid and the victim signs off. It is not always a simple matter to obtain cash here, even among wealthy and those with high lines of credit.

Anne Harris doesn't make a habit of sending out information nor disclosing items of important interest. I have never heard of compensation of this type before and thus, I have never heard of liability insurance that might cover it. The assorted insurance coverage you have typically covers damages and then medical bills. Previously many people if they could complete the obstacles imposed by IMSS, they could receive something like 35% of the wages during an incapacity of 60% if injuries were work related. The man claims to have rented a jeep for $60 dollars and wisely purchased full coverage insurance for an additional $30 dollars. The $30 dollar a day insurance seemingly left his high and dry, covered everything except lost wages.

#18 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

Charles,
Thanks for the "informed" information. It's great to have information that is first hand from local news and not just speculation. This is a sad story in so many ways.

#19 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

I wrote down Anne's number to put in my amigo phone......

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#20 Tricia

Tricia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

Markc, this pastor is from Enid, Oklahoma, not Texas and your comments were not helpful and very unpleasant.

This pastor just seemed a little overboard to me, that is why I was questioning it.

I am saddened by this story and thank you, Charles & CZMDM, for clearing it up for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users