33 replies to this topic

#21 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

That pastor is scum, i hope he burns.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#22 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:11 PM

Thank you to all the locals for providing some very informative information. If any of you come across information regarding the ability to purchase lost wage insurance.... Please post. I have heard that Avis and Hertz may carry this type of insurance.

Mark..... I believe you owe Charles and CZDM an apology. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but your posts are way over the line and very offensive.

#23 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:38 AM

Actually, I don’t really care if anyone is offended by what I’ve said above, so no apologies. Actually, I found the pastor’s bible beating offensive and as a father of an teenage little girl I took even HIGHER offense to what Charles said.
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#24 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

Mark
You are a newcomer to these forums or you would already know that Charles writes with dripping, sardonic sarcasm. Sarcasm doesn't play well in writing unless you know the writer well enough to know they are doing a parody. Many people use emoticons to get around this problem but that doesn't always work either.

Let me assure you that Charles was poison penning the guy all the way. Not defending him in any way shape or form.

#25 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the clarification, but i wouldn't have even said those things jokingly.

That's freaking sick...

#26 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

now guys I have read all posts on this topic and some of what has been said by certain parties
leads to a conflict of opinion.
Let me say to you no one should condone what happened to the child. The perpetrator deserves
due punishment.The law of Mexico as we view it is not carried out with the best interest of the
innocent or guilty parties, money seems to play a big part in obstructing the correct punishment
to be handed down.The more frequent posters to this forum and you all know who you are,in my humble
opinion comment in a fair and unbiased way on whatever topic they choose to follow.
As for the original subject that has somewhat been dissected into 2 issues
driving in Mexico and being extremely cautious is paramount knowing how the law works be it right or
be it wrong.
My comments in this thread are my thoughts and my thoughts only, take them any way you wish but please
respect them.
Now I'm off to do some real work and get some money to come back down again in May ;)

#27 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:39 PM

For someone as knowledgeable and with the experience of 6-7 trips over 20 years as Mark, who knows the local scene and has done everything, I still don't think it safe to assume anything. One might have thought he would have known the location of the ferry pier. I feel certain he would have purchased trip insurance knowing that September is the official start of the hurricane season for the Western Caribbean. He wisely chose a resort to the south to be closer top dive sites, he did get that one right. Given that September will be the absolute dead season and by benefit of a couple of resorts at 60% occupancy will boost the hotel association members occupancy rates hopefully past 20%. Little did he know that the closest to congestion anywhere would be in his neighborhood and from the two Carnival cruise ships 5-6 days per week docked at Puerta Maya. We average 10-11 Carnival boats, one RCL ship weekly and usually one ship downtown every other week. Of course the cruise ships most board and depart between 4:00 & 5:00PM so they are really a non-entity in affecting anything except some beach clubs and time share hotels the passengers are hustled to as cattle. If his resort sells day passes, those people will be gone long before dark.

It is about a $15 dollar taxi ride each way into town if one wants to dine in a real restaurant or is in need of medical treatment from eating spoiled food at an all inclusive resort. When they are near empty and have give away prices in dead season, food is the only place to stretch the budget. Personally I avoid food that is not freshly prepared and items are not kept hot or chilled as needed. The main draw of all inclusive resorts is the all you can drink alcohol and many seem to try to get their money's worth in alcohol alone.

People are sure to receive very personal attention in September as most nights if they have people dining, the waiters and staff will out number the guests. Pepe's Grill was indeed very popular with locals, especially on Sunday nights. Many were friends or business associates of Pepe's or Mimi's. Since don Pepe turned the restaurant over to his son, I haven't heard complaints except for the prices. Even at the height of tourism, there is no problem getting a table at the window. Even during Carnaval the best I saw was maybe 1/3 full. Now if Mark wants to hit Frog's or Carlos and Charlie's, most likely Sr. Frog's will be closed before dark. Carlos and Charlie's still stays open out of habit, but again, the staff will probably outnumber guests two or three to one. I did see it really bustling one night recently when there were FIVE couples (three tables). Two couples were local Mexican youngsters at one table, but they did manage three tourist couples and it was late, almost 7:30PM. Things change over time, but he probably knew that.

There are numerous, high quality dive operations that offer every level of personalized service. They all LOVE taking out certified dive masters, especially arrogant ones. Some of the dive masters have logged only 5-10,000 dives here. There are many dedicated clients that have logged hundreds if not close to 1,000 dives themselves, so it is a treat to have an experienced dive master that likes to hang back and avoid the group. I am confident of your skill level to be able to read the ever changing currents and I can't imagine a dive master here more qualified than one from Texas, even if they have been diving here near daily for 25 years.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC THEME, ACCIDENT VICTIMS ARE BEING COMPENSATED FOR LOST WAGES, SOMETHING THAT NEVER EXISTED BEFORE. PREVIOUSLY IT WAS DAMAGES AND MEDICAL BILLS ONLY AND IT WOULD APPEAR THAT SINCE THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE WHOSE BULK OF INCOME COMES FROM TIPS, NOT OFFICIAL SALARIES, I DON'T KNOW HOW ANY LIABILITY INSURANCE WOULD BE ABLE OR WILLING TO HANDLE THAT AND FORM AN AGREEMENT IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. IT MIGHT BE BEST TO KEEP AN EXTRA $5,000 IN CASH AROUND, JUST IN CASE.

#28 nascarcharchar

nascarcharchar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Nascar, Golf, PBR Bullriding (Not Myself, just on TV), Cooking

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

Opinions are one thing, obnoxious is another. La Administradora work you magic on this newbie.

#29 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

I guess you must be from Mississippi...

First of all, I knew the location of the ferry pier, I just did not remember, it was something I have previously chosen to not do, and probably will again avoid. Trip insurance, yes, I know what time of year sept is... I do not mind the cruisers, it’s the feeling of being away from a busy town that I wanted, and I know the traffic is less there. Yes, I know the cruisers do not port over night like they used to, which a good thing. Again, my plan was to be a little more isolated, therefore not staying in my usual place, I moved further south – that is my choice. As far as A/I resort food, I have yet to get ill on it, so I am not worried about it. if charlie’s or frogs closes early, I really would not care, I just remember having a decent time there before. As far as dive operators, I only asked about the onsite one located at allegro, and if they really charge a day use fee if you use an operator other than them. I know dive with martin runs a great operation. as far as dive mastering, I never claimed to be all knowing, or claimed to be more qualified than anyone. I merely mentioned I preferred smaller dive groups and I liked to remain towards the rear of the group.

Charles, if you felt short changed in the humor and sarcasm arena, I’m sure there are comedy clubs you could visit to get some fresh material. Joking about rape, young girls and pedophelia are NOT funny.

#30 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

I don't remember reading that Allegro charges for diving with other ops. I know Iberostar does, but it charges the op a fee, not the diver. Sand Dollar USED to charge the diver themselves to use their dock.

On the food, the grand's food was fine. Yea there was some stuff that looked maybe a little old, but I would guess its generally ok. The grand was a little bland. The ibero did have some nice brown sauce for fresh made fajitas that was pretty decent. Personally though the AI's quickly became for me just to dang much food that was just ok or a little good. Also when we had a family with us, they didnt want to eat in town, becuase the felt they were giving away a free meal. Cheap so and sos.... But I have a friend who just loves the whole everything in the compound thing of the AIs. Each his own. I am complete sold on eating in town now. I want to enjoy the locale. Course I got a condo now and the wife does not offer an AI option.... Posted Image On the bars, if you want someone to grab your tookus, blow a whistle and put balloons on your head, I guess you might have to pick chuck or the frog. I get enough of that waiting for the ferry in Playa at the frog. Of course Playa seem way more subdued that what I have seen driving by the place on Melgar with the cruisers.

Oh and back to the original:

Some shared with me on the lost wages, you maybe should ask the police to bring the employer in? Seems like the best is to have access to cash and have Ann on speed dial. I would like to know more about the wages thing. That really sounds like there is a possibility of getting on the wrong side of that one and getting fleeced.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#31 CozDuo

CozDuo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

I was driving home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield Listening to gospel music on the colored radio station
And the preacher said, "You know you always have the Lord by your side"
And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran twenty red lights in his honor

Thank you Jesus, thank you lord

Well the preacher kept right on saying that all I had to do was send
Ten dollars to the church of the sacred bleeding heart of Jesus
Located somewhere in Los Angeles, California
And next week they'd say my prayer on the radio
And all my dreams would come true
So I did,

And we got our wish to come back to Cozumel

#32 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

Well the preacher kept right on saying that all I had to do was send
Ten dollars to the church of the sacred bleeding heart of Jesus
Located somewhere in Los Angeles, California
And next week they'd say my prayer on the radio
And all my dreams would come true
So I did,

And we got our wish to come back to Cozumel

If I was a drugstore truck driving man, I'd send in my money and wish for a girl with the Far Away Eyes

Sometimes you need somebody, if you have somebody to love.
Sometimes you ain't got nobody and you want somebody to love.
Then you don't want to walk and talk about Jesus,
You just want to see his face.

Best Wishes and Kind Apologies to Gram, Nanker, Phelge et al. & Thanks Duo

#33 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

The law per the paying of lost wages is fairly new and was greatly needed, but it seems that a lot of insurance being offered may not cover this particular law. So be careful and make sure the policy that you purchase includes this coverage.

Cozumel Diving

#34 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

LMFAO @ CozDuo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users