To book or not to book

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

Hi,will be coming back down on the 17th May to the 24th and my dilemma is to book
right now or wait till later.When is the best time to get the best deal ?I know
some people say book earlier but is the high season not about to be over in Cozumel
Would welcome your opinions

#2 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

D&B,

I was checking several sites prior to booking, the two front runners were Expedia and Cheaptickets. What I noticed at the beginning was that Expedia was ~$30 less than Cheaptickets. Over this past weekend, when we decided to book it, Cheaptickets stayed the same rate and Expedia literally went up by ~$700 per person! During this week, the price on expedia dropped ~$500...

So, I would check all the websites, note down the resort, date and the price, compare with other websites, and then make sure it doesn’t skyrocket over the weekend.

I went out to work at the lake last night and a friend of mine told me he saw airfare for czm (may have been can) for 300 total.

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 30 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Also check the airlines directly. Some offer lowest price guarantee. Kayak.com continually checks and updates prices, and we have had good luck with Orbitz and Expedia regarding hotel rooms. If you find a price you can live with, grab it. With rising gas prices, things can only get worse. Also, try to be flexible in your dates. When I was booking our March trip, one day made a difference of $600! We returned on Thursday instead of Friday and saved that much, I was going to book the higher price, then went back a day and saw the savings. Weekend travel tends to be more expensive, if you can fly out on a Tuesday or Wednesday, it seems to be cheaper.

I'd book 'em, Dano.

Good luck!

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:00 PM

I believe Orbitz has their 200ENTERTAIN code for a 7 day package stay as well as a 50ENTERTAIN code for a 3-7 day package deal available for booking until March 31 for travel through DEC 31 2011. thats a nice savings.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

who-oh just stuck the code 200ENTERTAIN into orbitz and my price came down from 703 to 569
god I just wanna book it now lol

#6 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

With the way fuel prices are rising, my suggestion is to book a trip when you see a price you can live with. Orbitz prices have been good from Texas for the last month. I'd been searching for a price I could afford for the last 6 months. I used the 200entertain for air and 7 nights at Villa Blanca Hotel for $582.pp That savings code ends tonight I think. That's a little bit less than we paid 2 years ago. I also check airlines directly. Let us know what you find or buy. Best of luck.

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:26 PM

Can I get an amen.....? love that 200 entertain!!

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#8 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

I'm not sure because it is unpredictable but I think the orbitz 200 entertain code might expire the end of March (tomorrow). I remember reading when they brought it back that is was good through March. A new code may not come out again until fall. If I were you I would book it.

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

Yes that is my understanding: book by tomorrow.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

well just went ahead booked it with the code 200ENTERTAIN which gives you the 100 bucks of each ticket
so dtw/iah/czm and back for a mere total of 1138.70 bucks :P :P :D

#11 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

Congrats! Ain't it a grand feelin'?

#12 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

Truly not a bad price from Michigan! You will have a great time in Paradise!

Enjoy!

#13 Fin74

Fin74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:45 AM

Just an FYI...you can use the 200entertain code to book the hotel/car package if you plan on booking your own air. This will let you get the discount. For us, we save over $300 booking with a vehicle, even if we don't pick it up or use it than if we only book the hotel. Crazy.

#14 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

It's anyone's guess as to when you will get the best deal. We like to book early and know that everything is in place from year to year and we will have the arrangements that make us happy. We have a price in mind that we are willing to pay. I start watching airfare as early as I can. When it comes below our set expectation, I book. Yes, it sometimes goes lower, but generally goes higher as time passes. If it goes low enough, there can be a savings even after the penalty for changing. We have taken advantage of this option in the past also.

#15 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

I'd sure like to know where you find that airfare for $300 total, MarkC! Round trip Cozumel to Houston, I can't get under $500 regardless of the day of the week I look! Posted Image

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#16 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:00 PM

Hey Kandy - he said he found it on Sun Country - thats all I know.

MC
“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#17 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

You guys rock! Special thanks to Fin74. Saved a bundle today with 200entertain booking hotel /car compared to just hotel. We already had airfare. Can't wait to return to Paradise!

#18 Guest_davidandbess_*

Guest_davidandbess_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:49 PM

if we are handing out thanks one must thank broylance for bringing to my notice :D ;) :D ;) :D ;)

#19 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

Hey I thought I started it..... :(

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#20 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:32 AM

cvchief,
You did mention it before me. :)

daveandbess-good thing you booked. I just checked and the orbitz code did expire yesterday. I just hope they come out with another before its time for me to book my next trip. Enjoy your trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users