15 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

There were two good guys rec.'d on the old forums. That's handy info. Who can recommend computer repair folks on the island? And who is good at working with laptops? Might be looking for someone who can uninstall Vista on a lap and then install Win 7, for example. That's a software issue that takes a certain type of expertise. And also have an issue with a malfunctioning USB port that might be an issue of downloading a new driver or could be a hardward problem.

Names, addresses and contact numbers would be appreciated by one and all -- including me.

#2 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

Here's the information I copied from the "old" forum

Rodrigo 987-101-9006

Martin is the go to guy for Macs 987-564-0143.

Since I have a Mac I used Martin and found him to be very knowledgeable and very reasonably priced.

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:41 PM

harry villar, will come to you or you can go to him. his new shop is located almost in front of mine on 30th between 3 and morelos. very fair with pricing, very good and quite fast. some english too.
987 102 4474
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:02 PM

Carey - just my two cents worth, but I have a bit of knowledge re: changing operating systems on computers. You may be technically able to downgrade/upgrade with different software, but sooner or later, you will run into big problems doing this. Manufacturers build machines with the drivers & components to match up perfectly with one particular OS. You most certainly can do it & the computer companies will even sell you an alternate OS, but invariably you will have issues one day..... Just sayin'

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:29 AM

Rodrigo did some work on my first computer. I purchased a computer from Telmex with Windows 98. He switched over Windows from Spanish and installed an English version. I later learned the bio's underneath had never been changed. That computer and everything sold by Telmex at the time was a complete hodge podge of left over parts from all different sources. I managed to repair it by identifying hardware and downloaded the associated drivers, but it was quite a challenge. Brand new, it was like something put together with new parts from a scrap pile.

The problem I am having with my Vista lap top has been identified as corrupted drivers. Microsoft has told me I need to reinstall Vista to correct the growing issues and problems. What made Vista new and unique was that they included no back up disk. They install an extra copy on the hard drive for you to download and keep if needed. This is a one time download that will supposedly be computer specific. I have never downloaded what is on the hard drive for my back up copy. Microsoft sent a "fresh direct from Microsoft, disk", but it didn't arrive on time and is waiting for me in the States.

Simply put, this computer on top of near universal hatred of Vista, this computer has been a lemon from the start. It was optimized for improved performance by the "Geek Squad" and after spending most of the first three days with online customer support of both Compaq and Microsoft correcting numerous problems straight out of the box, the retailer refunded the $80 dollar charge for services of the Geek Squad. When you need to download new drivers and reconfigure to get the key board and touch pad to work, I didn't consider that optimized. When you need customer service assistance on day one and have to use a different computer to communicate.

Has anyone gone through the process of reinstalling Vista or know a technician experienced in this? I certainly don't want to spend much money as this POS needs to be replaced. All the reviews of Windows 7 is that it is simply the same Vista, but this time it actually works.

ez_stop1, I have heard of people going to the more extreme measure of installing Windows XP with a barrier on the hard drive, but as you mention, so many features are designed for the software and hard drive components working together. It is a potential can of worms. Probably the most practical solution might be to have a diver take it down and drop it off the wall, but I wouldn't want to foul the ocean with this piece of pollution.

#6 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:10 PM

My computer guru is Tom - 872-5551 - an American who speaks perfect English; knows scads about computers; will give you an estimate of what it will cost to repair; he is a no-nonsense type of guy - will tell you upfront if he can't fix your problem. And he is worth every penny! I have used him for over 7 years, and I can't begin to tell you how much money he saved me. He is not cheap, but if he fixes it and if it doesn't work, he wil be right back. He will make house visits, etc. A really knowlegeable guy.
"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#7 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:23 AM

I had sent a message to Tom, I never know if he wants to be advertised, but he is long my first thought in any computer problem. He'd be competent on both sides of the border, but he is especially knowledgeable about issues that seem to arise when your computer freaks from the change in culture.
He is practiced at issues that used to seem unique to Cozumel.

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:17 AM

Tom's a friend of mine as well and really good at what he does. But last I checked, he wasn't working on laptops much -- certainly not for hardware issues. but that may have changed.

#9 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

Does anyone know if any of these guys works on printers? I have an HP printer that needs new paper feed rollers... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

#10 henribos

henribos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:snorkeling, golf, reading, cooking

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:37 AM

There were two good guys rec.'d on the old forums. That's handy info. Who can recommend computer repair folks on the island? And who is good at working with laptops? Might be looking for someone who can uninstall Vista on a lap and then install Win 7, for example. That's a software issue that takes a certain type of expertise. And also have an issue with a malfunctioning USB port that might be an issue of downloading a new driver or could be a hardward problem.

Names, addresses and contact numbers would be appreciated by one and all -- including me.

I bought a new laptop with Vista which was quite problematic from the start. However it came with a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it was released. So, I very happily went ahead and did that but the computer was still very glitchy, for lack of a better term! It worked but would do weird things quite regularly! Anyway, I got in touch with Eduardo, of The Crew Office fame, and he removed the Vista program entirely and reloaded the Wondows 7 and it has worked like a charm ever since! I guess it is normal to install the new OS over the old one but there are always issues and mine seemed to have more than it's fair share!
Unfortunately I don't have Eduardo's contact or office info. Anybody out there know it?

#11 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:03 PM

I bought a new laptop with Vista which was quite problematic from the start. However it came with a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it was released. So, I very happily went ahead and did that but the computer was still very glitchy, for lack of a better term! It worked but would do weird things quite regularly! Anyway, I got in touch with Eduardo, of The Crew Office fame, and he removed the Vista program entirely and reloaded the Wondows 7 and it has worked like a charm ever since! I guess it is normal to install the new OS over the old one but there are always issues and mine seemed to have more than it's fair share!
Unfortunately I don't have Eduardo's contact or office info. Anybody out there know it?

Eduardo's number is: 987-116-8993
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#12 Nelda H

Nelda H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

Eduardo's location is Ave 30 between Akumal and 27,about one block north of the Chevrolet dealership. On the right as you travel south on 30, look for Internet Arroba. Hours for Eduardo: 4 -10PM. Nicest guy on the island!

#13 Mike81

Mike81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:28 PM

Hi Carey,

Can you tell me what is happening with your USB port

#14 Sandy H

Sandy H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

Eduardo is a whiz with laptops, which are all we've ever had down here. He's prompt, reliable and has very good rates. 5 stars from us!

Sandy

#15 Dj Co2

Dj Co2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:19 AM

I had my laptop repaired from Eduardo.. He's the best!

#16 pedro15

pedro15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

after looking online for a while i found a place called cozumel computer guys online or www.cozumelcomputerrepair.com is their website.. anyways i had a pretty bad virus and they fixed it right from his office and didnt even have to come to the house.  the guy i was talking to logged in to my computer and was using the mouse and everything, scanned all the viruses off and from then on its been working perfectly.  he even hooked up my printer to the wireless for me..  anyway i thought you should know about them since they are local and did a good job for me.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users