42 replies to this topic

#1 John D

John D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Boating, Hunting and Travel

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:10 PM

We are currently on the island and have closed on our house. I heard from several people that Sam's is coming along with a Walmart although the walmart may be called Bodega Aurrera.

http://www.noticarib...en_cozumel.html

http://www.occmundia...st=qr&q=&tm=60d

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:32 AM

I don't know about Walmart, but Sam's is a definite. Can't wait since I'm not a boat person and am not fond of that ferry ride.Posted Image

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 diazfletcher

diazfletcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:25 AM

I don't know about Walmart, but Sam's is a definite. Can't wait since I'm not a boat person and am not fond of that ferry ride.Posted Image

I hope not. Sam Walton's enterprises have ruined many small businesses in the US, they are notorious for treating employees badly. I would hate to see them on the island.

#4 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Sam's is under construction on Airport Road.

#5 diazfletcher

diazfletcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

sorry to hear it.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:01 PM

diazfletcher, for those of us who live on an island, where getting goods can be changeling, it is welcome here.

If I held your opinion, then I would NEVER purchase, or enter the store anywhere in the world.

You have to live here to understand HERE.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

I'm pretty sure it's going in at the large construction site on Calle 11 near the University QRoo & not on the airport road. Huge expansion in new housing & roads in that area, too.

#8 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

Wrong!.......: Sam´s Club y Bodega Aurrerá will be at: Av. Andrés Quintana Roo (Av. 11 Sur), entre Av. 75 y Av. 80 801 Maravilla. Bodega Aurrerá is more for "national shoppers", good prices, but don't expect anything like a Super Walmart.

Check the press releases above.....

Traveler

#9 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:11 PM

Not to get into a war over the evil Wal Mart empire. But it is very hard to say that they are evil. Ask the thousand of people who started in the store bought stock and retired very well off what they think of Wal Mart.
Wal Mart has made many people very well off and not just their family member but loyal employees.
I agree if we all had the attitude that we would not shop at places that were less than perfect we would be making our own clothes and growing our our food.
I grew up in Arkansas where Wal Mart started and saw what happened to Mom and Pop stores but that isn't all Wal Marts fault. Supply and demand has a lot to do with that.

If Wal mart can bring some customer service to the island that wouldn't be half bad either.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#10 TreeSon

TreeSon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:21 PM

I just hope they offer us free kleenex at the door on the first day...didn't bring mine to the opening of Mega! Very happy about this news!!

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

Wrong!.......: Sam´s Club y Bodega Aurrerá will be at: Av. Andrés Quintana Roo (Av. 11 Sur), entre Av. 75 y Av. 80 801 Maravilla. Bodega Aurrerá is more for "national shoppers", good prices, but don't expect anything like a Super Walmart.

Check the press releases above.....

Traveler

You forgot to post the press release, Traveler. Woo! I'm excited, too. As I was telling someone the other day, to get the good buys on things you really need or want, you almost have to stop in weekly to these big box stores. But that's not practical to us with the Playa store. And then there's the hassle of getting goods back to the house. I just can't wait! Any idea when it's going to open? Then maybe I can get a fridge that opens on the right side and a flat screen tv that costs $8000 instead of $12000 pesos. Oh and maybe they'll have MILK? Since the mega seems to have stopped carrying it. Down to my last hoarded frozen gallon of the white liquid gold.

The Mexicans are going to be flipping over all the frozen prepared foods I expect. The Playa store carries a ton.

#12 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

I understand why you all who live there want a Sam's store. And I understand that nothing stays the same. We keep visiting and loving a very different Cozumel than what we first saw in 1987. I'm sorry to hear about Sam's and the new Sheraton being built on the south end of the island. The hotels already on Cozumel can't keep at full capacity (or even close to it). Where do they draw the line with construction? If I wanted to vacation in a place that was wall to wall resorts, stores, cruise ships etc...I'd go to Hawaii. I don't like Mega either. This summer might be our last trip. Time to rethink.

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

I understand why you all who live there want a Sam's store. And I understand that nothing stays the same. We keep visiting and loving a very different Cozumel than what we first saw in 1987. I'm sorry to hear about Sam's and the new Sheraton being built on the south end of the island. The hotels already on Cozumel can't keep at full capacity (or even close to it). Where do they draw the line with construction? If I wanted to vacation in a place that was wall to wall resorts, stores, cruise ships etc...I'd go to Hawaii. I don't like Mega either. This summer might be our last trip. Time to rethink.

The Sam's Club location is not south of town. It is back in the hood in San Miguel being built on land no tourist ever trods. That's very good news as a Sam's on the waterfront like we have the Mega wouldn't be a good choice for keeping up appearances. But this will be way back in the nabes where it can be an ugly eyesore all it wants because the only people seeing it are us'ns tearing in to save money on toilet paper and computer monitors.

Don't know about the Sheraton. Where are they planning to build that. Or do I want to know?

#14 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

Re: Sheraton-I've heard south of Iberostar or south of Playa Corona or near Curva Tormentos..take your pick I guess. Maybe they'll have a difficult time obtaining permits because of the mangrove protection.
Re: Sam's-O.K. I guess....for you. I grew up a military family, so we moved alot and was used to cities. The older I get the more small town I become. We just spent 4 years in a town of 9,000 that had one...and only one grocery store...amusingly it is named "La Tienda". We are thrilled to be in a place of 40,000 people now with TWO medium sized grocery stores. I remember years ago when I lived in central Texas and they were opening a newer, bigger, "better" super Walmart...I hadda ask myself..."Do, I NEED a store that offers 50 different kinds of underwear at 4 am?" Decided we didn't and moved away from there. Actually, we live wherever my husband can find work and put food on the table so we can come Cozumel once a year.

#15 diazfletcher

diazfletcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

diazfletcher, for those of us who live on an island, where getting goods can be changeling, it is welcome here.

If I held your opinion, then I would NEVER purchase, or enter the store anywhere in the world.

You have to live here to understand HERE.

I lived there from 1991 until 2004.

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

Question: what does for "national shoppers" mean?

And the Sheraton? Did that por esto article say the gov put the kibosh on it because they were tearing up mangove. I mean I know it said they were screwing up the mangroves but wasnt sure google translate got the rest correct.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#17 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:30 PM

The construction you see on Airport Road is a vacant lot where they are pre-fabing concrete beams for the bridge that is to go over the cenote at the new car ferry pier. The new car ferry pier is a screw up also.

The new Sam's Club is way out on 11th. It looks like construction has begun. I drove by yesterday and lots of dump trucks going in and out of the site.

They must have plans for building a new goverment center out there. A new 8 lane road is already in along with hundreds and hundreds of houses. A lot of them are already occupied. Looks like there might be a lot of strip stores do to the layout of the parking.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

Who is putting up those track-houses? Is this a government-built neighborhood or is this a privately constructed neighborhood?

#19 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the pictures Steve. I'm not surprised but disappointed. The bigger and busier the island gets, the more petty crime and less beauty there is and also less fun it is for me. I HATE to abandon Cozumel as we've made so many good friends there over the years. It used to be a much more affordable vacation too. Hmmm...after our trip in June we might talk about Belize for our next trip. Pass the Kleenex. Every year we tell ourselves it might be the last visit...and we've ALWAYS returned...smiles.

#20 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:34 PM

I have witnessed the steady exodus of many multi-generation Cozumel families. You can get an idea of when the families first arrived here based upon where they own land and where they live. Many of those in el centro which once constituted the primary town, some did prosper and moved beyond from a position of financial strength. More likely they abandoned the island as families disintegrated, children and grand children moved on to other locations with better economic futures.

It would be most curious to compare the last few ten year census counts of just how many that were counted in 1990 and 2000 had left the island by 2010. The population has slowly grown, but the steady influx of new people were offset somewhat by those long time inhabitants that left. Sadly a large number of the original people have left the island, the people that helped to establish tourism, the people who defined Cozumel hospitality and with them left the traditional values and work ethic that made Cozumel such a pleasant place to live and visit.

Hopefully the people that continue to move here will find work at Walmart and the assorted new "mega stores". They certainly need new places to live as downtown continues to decline and more stores and houses sit vacant and empty. I had a great idea for a new business here, one that sells or rents for sale, for rent, going out of business sale, make an offer signs, but it failed as a business model as though the need and demand would be high, I doubted the financial viability of people being able to afford the signs. Sort of like the Saturday Night Live parody of the shopping mall, the only store doing well was the scotch tape store selling tape to post signs for shops going out of business.

I predict the creation of many new jobs on the island and I also predict that just like Playa and the mainland, ten people will come for every job created. All the small shop keepers that will close, they would be the last to be hired. One can only expect a continued increase in crime, general delinquency, disintegration of the traditional family, increased alcohol and substance abuse and the depression and suicide that go hand in hand. It's PROGRESS! It ain't like it used to be, but sadly no place I have seen is either. Wherever you are, today will become the good old days of the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users