42 replies to this topic

#41 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:59 PM

news flash.... but we all know how rumors get spread....so if anyone has connections with the new dept of urban development and/or ecology, maybe you can get the scoop...

it has been quiet for the past week or so. heard (again HEAR SE) that construction has come to a halt due to dept of ecology finding 5 cenotes. also heard that the municipio is wanting to charge more taxes than expected and sam's pulled out of the deal.

i believe the cenote problem more than the tax issue. on my property i have a cenote hole, and there is one next door too. i wouldn't be surprized if that lush property was so lush due to the presence of abundant water sources. if it has to come to a complete halt, what a terrible waste of tearing down so many trees. a simple land evaluation could have found the cenotes and prevented the damage done. now, if true, what will become of the land? will sam's sell? will they make mini sam's buildings? (yeah right)

they started putting in the edge of a sidewalk from 11 to 13 but only did half. no more work has been done. no machines, no nothing. hmmmmmmmmmmmm

again, i will try to get the scoop from the right people, but if anyone else can get it and post, only reliable sources please.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#42 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:07 PM

Aurelio, our new presidente municipal was reported to be having an "open house" or meet and greet shall we say with the pueblo on Sunday, downstairs at the Palacio. You're Mexicana now, it would be appropriate and legal for you to go and ask questions. It is like the road to the new truck ferry muelle, who could have ever expected that they would encounter a cenote on that property. Besides myself, all my old neighbors and half of the people that lived on the island in the 1980s and into the 1990s, maybe only 25-30,000 people could have told them about the cenotes that dot that area. At least they didn't cross the path of the real big one that lots were sold in the early 1980s that did have conditional status, contingent upon getting the land removed from potential ejido status.

You mean there might be other cenotes located close to avenue 65? Like the one that Victor Vivas raided in June of 1996 when a team of volunteer North American divers were assisting UNAM in an underwater archaeological investigation. What was it 3-4 North Americans and two Mexican divers spent three plus days in jail until the original permits were sent from Chetumal. Then someone had to be sent to bring back the originals on file in Mexico City. The mayor to save face quoted the law that required that his office be notified in advance. Since none of the copies in hand, nor faxed copies of the permits from Chetumal of D.F. were acceptable, that was the one original signed letter of notification signed by the mayor that was on the island. Boy I was glad I was in Chiapas that week as surely I would have been volunteering with my credentials in underwater artifact conservation.

You'll probably have to fight your way through the other ladies to the front, Aurelio is nice eye candy for the ladies. I figure he'll get the nick name el guapo. Remember folks, what put Cozumel on the maps from the early Spanish conquest days to pirate times was the availability and easy access to such good drinking water.

I'm sure they will find someway to work around things, but at least you have some peace and quiet as the eye of the storm passes.

That really detailed good demographic and geologic survey done during the Gustavo administration, illustrated the continued development and excavations were posing a potential threat to more pollution to our most precious natural resource on land, our underground aquifer and sweet water. I worry about the wells still in use in el centro and early areas of development before CAPA put in water lines. So many drainage pozos have been drilled to drain water from the streets, we're putting a lot of polluted water awful close to clean water without benefit of being filter by the upper 6-10 meters of soil and stone.

#43 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:44 PM

i have other connections with lito so no worries getting any comments to him from me. a good friend of ours is his head of communications guy.
got word today that they did indeed find several cenotes so sam's will have to work with ecology using the proper construction regulations to build their floors, avoiding contamination and maintaining security for their building as well. they will complete their construction and will open, come hell or high water, by december. they just have to do it a bit differently, just like the new car ferry pier.

i can say this cause i am mexican.... what the hell was the government thinking when they hired the idiot architect or engineer to design and construct so may of the ridiculous buildings and parks here over the past 3 years?
a major via for semi trucks over one of the largest cenote holes on the island...
a ferry pier uglier than anything i have ever seen with absolutely ZERO aesthetics and engineering that to a engineer's eye, makes no sense...
tearing down a perfectly great and SAFE park for kids, destroying the cement animals that represent cozumel, making big $$ fiberglass animals that the kids can't even climb on meters from the street with NO barrier between the play area and the road...
and this new road back on 135. WHAT??? i feel like a airplane should be landing on it while i am driving.

i hope lito does some good and LISTENS to the people. keep dreaming?
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users