9 replies to this topic

#1 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

I recall several posts stating BOA ATM card has no fee internationally. How did you get started? We have no BOA brick and mortar building around here, so I am guessing we would need to open up a checking account online, then get an ATM card. Or would we be better off with a debit card? We are down at least 3 times a year and are frequent ATM visitors with the resulting fees and charges using our local bank ATM. Also, how is the exchange rate ordering pesos from BOA? We usually bring enough pesos back from Mexico to get us started for the next trip, just wondering what others' experiences and advice might be!

#2 John D

John D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Boating, Hunting and Travel

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

As a BOA customer and a frequent international traveler, I have never heard of a no fee ATM/debit card for international use. While on the island we use the Santander ATM for pesos it has no fees and gives the current exchange rate. I have never ordered foreign currency from BOA because the exchange rate is always low.

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:16 PM

Thanks John D! I know several folks previously mentioned BOA no fee AtTM cards, perhaps in combo with Santander. Kandy, was it you?

#4 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:16 PM

BOA and Santander are partners and thus no fees. So in this case no fees internationally
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#5 abbyresse

abbyresse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:56 AM

ATM fees have been going up for a while, and some banks have been looking into raising them higher. Chase bank, though, is canceling its pilot project with massive fees for non-customer use of Chase ATMs. Chase decided to see just how much people were willing to pay to use an ATM. So the bank elevated ATM fees to $4 and $5 in some areas. Chase won't be raising fees that high, as fewer individuals are willing to pay that much to use an ATM. I found this here: Banks will not raise ATM fees too high for now.

#6 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:08 AM

I don't think it was me, dawnb.

Now that we live here full-time, we just withdraw funds from the ATM at the Palacio twice a month. It's convenient and costs $10 a month to do it. For now, I'd rather do that than deal with the hassle of moving my money to BoA in the states. I was with them before, and they almost caused me to lose the purchase of my condo here because of their ridiculous procedures.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#7 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

FYI, my ATM card was compromised after using the Banco Santander ATM in Cozumel. Thieves managed to withdraw $800 (US) in Spain before my bank caught on. Of course, the money was put back in my account by my bank, but it was an inconvenience nonetheless. I only use the ATMs at Chedraui any more, and have never had any problems since.

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

thanks for reporting that, Cozdude. Did this happen recently?

I only use swipe card machines for fear of an eaten card. Banamex has the only swipe chines on the island. One is in the Ched and the other which I vastly favor is on the Avenida 30 one block south of the big intersection with Juarez. Easy parking here so if you have a vehicle at your disposal, this is a good one to hit.

#9 John D

John D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Boating, Hunting and Travel

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for posting this. BTW when did this happen? I have used both the ATM's at Santander numerous times and never had a problem, but I guess you never know. One bit of advice when you use ATM's always cover your hand while putting in your pin number. Some thieves that attach swiping devices also attach hidden cameras to atm's to record your pin as you punch it in the keypad. If someone uses your pin to withdrawal cash it is very hard to get banks to put the money back in your account. If they use the debit card as a credit card, it's easy to get banks to understand.

#10 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

It happened two years ago. I suspect someone had some sort of card reader or the like on the thing, because I'm usually good about masking the keypad when I enter my PIN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users