• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kramer

Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

We visited Cozumel on February 19th. It was our 10th Anniversary.
We liked it so much we are bringing our 3 children back with us in October.
We only have 1 day on the Island and are going to shop in town and visit Chankanaab National Park.
There will be 5 of us. What is the best way to get from the docks to the park? Do any Cabs carry 5?

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

Well sure. They have full size conversion vans as taxis. Assuming you are coming by cruise ship, there should be plenty of taxis about.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 Kramer

Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:24 AM

Oh Yes, We will be boat people!
I guess the greatest asset we had on our last visit was that my wife is Spanish/Italian and the family comes from the Dominican. She rather blended in with the people of Cozumel.
This forum was right on with all of its advice. We rented a car from Isis, drove to the ruins (That was excellent) drove to the wild side, stopped at the beach clubs, did a little time on the beaches, had lunch, shopped at the little road side stands, shopped away from the cruise ship crowds, and enjoyed the people.
Thank You for the answer. I had hoped we would only have to take one vehicle. We want to get to the park early so we get a nice spot.
I don't think we will do any swims with the Dolphins or anything like that. I don't really like people doing that to sea creatures. Snorkeling, swimming, having lunch, walking the gardens... That is more than likely what we will be doing in the park. (Any Suggestions??)
We are also dedicating some time to walking the real shops of Cozumel. I like it when I know my money is going to a local person, family, or business.
I kind of wish I could rent a car again but my wife has her heart set on the park and shopping. We are only on the island for 1 day.

By the way, We found Cozumel to be very safe and the people to be friendly. On the Carnival Forums I direct anyone who asks about Cozumel to this web site.

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:45 AM

We come for 7-10 days on average a few times a year and we still haven't done all we want to do. Then we keep finding more we want to do. You might consider trying to contract a taxi for the day. I think you can get a pretty good deal on that and they will just sit and wait on you. I like Chankanaab with the fake ruins and garden and all, but my inlaw werent as impressed when we sent them there. For snorkelling you might also consider the Money Bar. That not bad. Make sure you follow the directions. If the current is moving, you want to walk a ways up on the road, then ride it back to money.
We took them snorkelling at Playa Corona. That was really interesting in that so much stuff was in pretty shallow water. You really have to be careful to not kick the fans. They told me they much more enjoyed the snorkeling at the other spots. They are free, but of course if you take up table space, you need to be buying some food or drinks or whatnot. With a party of five, you are going to be paying over a $100 in entrance fees right? Maybe a renting the taxi for the day would be cheaper? Some might be able to give you an idea what you should pay for that. I found a post from 2007 that said maybe $60 a day, but I am sure that has gone up a bit plus you have a bigger group. Offer to buy the driver lunch and keep him in sodas is a nice gesture. You loose the nice statues and the fake ruins and the gardens, but the rest of the experience is pretty much the same.
The eastside is very pretty in that there is so much nice beach with nothing on it. A handful of beach clubs stretch up the side. Nice to stop in at the beach bars and have a cervesa and look at the water.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

Get a taxi van and go to Punta Sur Park...aka Faro Celerain Eco Park. Excellent snorkeling, lighthouse, birds and crocs. I just think it's better than and cheaper than and prettier than Chankanaab...it's more natural.
Then head into town for food and shopping. Don't miss Los Cinco Soles for a huge variety of quality items...no bargaining there though. Then shop the small stores on all the side streets.

#6 Kramer

Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

PECOSGIRL! I love this idea.

OK, Next question, can anyone name some car rental places who will meet us at the cruise ship pier with a car and meet us when its time to drop it off?
We would Love to rent a car... Again!
Isis was great but I don't want to walk there again.

#7 Jean Mc

Jean Mc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:01 AM

Which pier? Less Pay is at Hotel Barracuda, very near the Langosta Pier.

#8 Kramer

Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:08 PM

In February we were next to the Ferry pier. Not sure the Inspiration will dock in the same place again. It would be nice because we were right in the middle of things.

#9 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Langosta will soon probably turn into a ghost town. During slow and then dead season, the number of boats that dock there drop to two per week and then one every other week (by past history). Carnival docks at their own pier, Puerta Maya and only uses Langosta when their pier is full. If Carnival expands its pier to accommodate four ships....well, some slow weeks 10 out of 11 or 12 ships are docking at Puerta Maya. The original International pier gets RCL and Celebrity ships (owned by RCL). Langosta gets Disney and NCL and then any overflow from carnival which can have four or five ships in port the same day. They own Holland America, Princess and Costa Lines among others.

#10 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

I had some friends here over the winter that wanted to go to Chankanaab, but we found the entry fee was way too expensive. I prefer to just find my own little spots to snorkel or walk on the beach away from everyone else, but I think for a visitor the Punta Sur idea is excellent.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users