#1 ljohnson

ljohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Salsa Dancing, Kiteboarding, Scuba Diving, and living in Paradise

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:37 AM

Hi Friends,

We are looking to buy a used dune buggy or similar vehicle good for all terrain with an open top or open sides to carry gear in when going daily down the road to the Laguna (towards Isla de la Passion). It's a really rough road and we need something that can handle all the potholes without getting torn up. Do you know anyone who has one for sale?

Thanks!
Laura Johnson
www.salsacozumel.com

#2 mlfoto

mlfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, river running, guitar, tomatoes, chiles. Latinjourneys.net
    Mandjphoto.com

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

Hi Friends,

We are looking to buy a used dune buggy or similar vehicle good for all terrain with an open top or open sides to carry gear in when going daily down the road to the Laguna (towards Isla de la Passion). It's a really rough road and we need something that can handle all the potholes without getting torn up. Do you know anyone who has one for sale?

Thanks!

My neighbor is selling a used GMC pickup. Since he is asking $36,000 MXP, perhaps you could remove the doors and chop the top?

#3 ljohnson

ljohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:59 AM

I still haven't found any leads on where to get a dune buggy. I keep asking around, but I understand they are hard to get, even the buggy tours won't sell their vehicles. )-: Any other ideas? We really need a fiberglass vehicle due to the fact that it will be sitting by the water at the laguna on most days for work purposes and because it will take a beating going down that long dirt road every day.
Laura Johnson
www.salsacozumel.com

#4 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

You might want to check www.mercadolibre.com or www.vivastreet.com

The ebay/craigslist of Mexico. I briefly looked on mercado libre, and there is a dune buggy in Guererro for 28K pesos... Not sure how you would get it here, but you never know :)

Good luck!

#5 ljohnson

ljohnson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:41 PM

Thanks Erin. The problem with buying one that far away is that you really have to go there and check it out first and take your mechanic too. That would be a hefty price tag added to the price of the vehicle. I was looking for something more local...no further away than Cancun. Any other ideas?
Laura Johnson
www.salsacozumel.com

#6 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:16 PM

No picture, but might be worth a look...
http://autos-usados..../buggy/33124349

I typed "usado buggy mexico" into google and there are a bunch of used car sites/classifieds... I love the hunt :)

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:47 AM

You probably know this Laura, but most of the dune buggy's on the island are VW Beetle framework (with minor modifications) and engine with a locally fabricated fiberglass buggy shell. The engine can be turbo-charged for around $150USD. There are people on the island who can fabricate the dune buggy body work. Maybe if you can't find what you want you can build one yourself. A few years ago I had a friend who made several. Including buying an old VW the costs were coming in at around $4K USD.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users