How to include photos in trip reports

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:15 PM

I saw some trip reports a few months back that were collections of photos with comments. I liked the format. I just wrote up a trip report with a lot of photos. I noticed that the file attachments have a 500 k limit. I divided the report into 4 word doc files, each less than 500 k. However, it appears that as a user I have a 500k limit. I have not seen a way to include a embedded image into the text of a posting (you can reference a web posted photo but not a local drive one). Any suggestions?

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

Dan:

I found this under the help menu:

I haven't tried the Flash uploader but for multiple files, I think that is the one you might want to use.

Attachments
Depending on where in the community you are posting your message at, you may be able to upload attachments to your message. There are two types of uploaders available: the default uploader and the flash uploader.

Default Uploader
The default uploader allows you to upload attachments one at a time. To begin, press the button. A box will appear for you to select the file on your computer that you want to attach. Select the file you want to upload.

If you change your mind, you can press the button and then choose a different file.

Once you have selected the file you want, press Attach the file.
If there are any errors uploading the file, you will receive an error message, otherwise, you will see the attachment appear.

Flash Uploader
You can enable the flash uploader from your settings menu. When enabled, you will be able to easily upload more than one file at a time.

To start, press Click to Attach Files. A box will appear for you to select the file or files on your computer that you want to attach. Select the file or files you want to upload. You can select more than one file at a time by holding Ctrl (on Windows) or Command (on Mac) and click on the files.

Once you have selected your files and clicked "Open", they will begin uploading. If there are any errors uploading the files, you will receive an error message, otherwise, you will see the attachments appear.

Managing Attachments
Regardless of which uploader you use, once the files are uploaded you will see them on your screen. By default, all attachments are added to the bottom of your message, however, you can add any attachment to a particular section of your post by pressing the "Add to Post" link.

If you wish to remove an attachment and have it not appear in your post, simply press the "Delete" link.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am running into a different problem. The 'single file' uploader works fine for me. And the 'advanced uploader' works fine also. However, there appears to be a 'global file limit' that limits the total size of all files from all posts for a specific user to no more than 500K. I broke my trip report down into 4 Word docs, each under 500k. I created the first post and uploaded the first document. It uploaded fine, but when I tried to attach the second document to the first post, it told me I have a global limit of 500K and would not accept the second file. So I filed the first post with the first file attachment. I then started a second post, intending to put the second file onto that post. However, when I updated the second file, I again got the "you have exceeded your global upload limit of 500K" message.
I then tried to embed the photos into the text area of the posting itself. There is an 'attach image' button above the post text box but it wants a website URL link to the photo. It looks like I have to put all the photos on a web-accessible location, and then point to those photos on the web from inside the posting. I'm not sure how to do that. I have a facebook page where I can display photos but I'm not sure how to link to photos on facebook to the CMC posts, and am not sure that the 'login/security' functions of facebook would allow the display to CMC users who are not authorized facebook users. Perhaps the new site software will not allow the kind of photo-based trip reports that the older software did. But if there is some technique I can use to include photos, let me know. I have already downsized the quality of the photos from 4mb to 50K each but the entire trip report with all the downsized photos will total about 1.5mb.

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:41 PM

Dan,

Have you tried signing out and then logging back in? I don't have a clue, if you are staying logged it, maybe, and that is only a maybe, coming in fresh might make a difference. You're in uncharted waters here, maybe Carey will have some ideas, you're ahead of me.

#5 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

Tried the log out/log in thing. No difference. Under the 'attachments' section of the post screen it says 'used 461.5k of your 500k global upload quota (Max. single file size: 38.5K) I'll keep trying to find a way to do this. I might be able to create a website and put all the photos into a subfolder on the site and then reference each of the photos thru a URL link. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be a technique that most CMC users would be able to duplicate. I'd like to find a method that a 'non-programmer' can use.

#6 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

Charles, I noticed that the new software platform for the CMC website forum is IP.board. I searched their website for a knowledgebase or something to try to get some hints of what might be going on. I couldn't find anything. I then called their customer support telephone line and they were nice enough to talk to me (even though I am not a customer of theirs). It may be that you and/or Carey as the administrators have to change some settings for the forum. 1. To include photos in the post (like Steve's trip reports), the administrator has to include the file type in a "permitted file extensions list" that the administrator maintains. The cust support people are surprized that a .jpg file is not listed in there as default but suggested that you check it. They say that if the file type/extension is listed, you should be able to use the 'insert image' button at the top of the posting box to point to a photo that exists somewhere on the web. Thus, I can copy the link to a specific photo in my facebook album and paste it in as the url in response to the 'insert image' button, and it should display. When I try that, I see a little orange box with a little block symbol in it. But then when I try to submit the posting I get that "not a permitted file type" message. It may be that the "permitted file extensions list" is specific to a user group type so there may be more than one such list to maintain. This suggestion makes sense to me except for one thing. Steve (I assume the famous photo trip report guy) has a posting called something "photo test". And he has a photo that displays in the post. I have replied to his post and emailed him asking him how he did that but have not got a reply yet. Anyhow, could you look thru your secret administrator such to see if this suggestion makes sense?

Second issue: The global attachment quota is also something that is an administrator setting. Again, there may be a global setting and then separate settings for each user or user category. The setting (at least for me) is 500k. That means that the site is limiting my total attachment space to no more than 500K. Since I have already attached a Word doc that is about 450k (as part of the part 1 posting for the Feb 2010 trip report), I have only 50k left. You might want to look at that situation also. Maybe you are trying to limit your overall site size and have done these things intentionally. Or maybe not, its just the leaning curve for the new site software.

If you have further questions, you should be able to post support tickets to customer support and ask for clarification on these issues. Let me know if I can do anything to support you and figure out how to best allow this functionality. Thanks for all your work on making this a great site.
Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users