20 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:20 AM

I'm almost finished and ready to upload the 4 pages of restaurant rec.'s updated for 2010 and available via the static section of the website.

Then it's on to do the Shopping pages. Remembering, please, that these are store rec.s for tourists purchasing gifts and mementos and not those the locals need and use, here is my current list. Can anyone add a recommendation? Thanks in advance.

In no particular order:

1. Bien Raices -- cute little store on Ave 10 between 3 and Salas. Different artifacts that are sold elswhere

2. El Mercado -- mocajetes, tortilla frying pans, plaid mason's bags, hammacas -- anyone have a favorite store in the mercado to rec?

3. Alvestres -- (used to be Bugmillias) fine embroidered linens, christening clothes, etc. Ave 15 between Salas and 3

4. Instrumentales Musicales -- mostly expensive guitars and stuff but he does have some small musical instruments like hand carved flutes, Juarez and 15.

6. Mi Casa -- branch of Cinco Soles but good place to visit if you need tableware

7. Gallo's Gallery -- artist Gallo's gallery on the corner of Calle 1 and 15 behind el mercado

8. Pottery shop right down the Calle 1 from Gallo's who's name I can remember at the mo'. Glazed and unglazed pottery.

9. Muebles de la Santa Cruz -- mostly big wooden furniture but Jaddie also sells some lamps and smaller carved items that might be of interest to visitors.

10. Cinco Soles, of course. You can't not mention that lovely store.

11. Discover Mexico -- they have a great gift shop if you haven't stopped in with a lot of items you won't even find at Cinco Soles.

12. There's a little jewelery and teeshirt store down on the Juarez branch of the plaza -- between 10 and 5--that all my friends keep telling me I have to include. They custom make jewelry very inexpensively and have some stuff not sold elsewhere. Can someone give me more details on this?

13. My friend Josefina tells me there's a tee shirt shop at 30 and Calle 3 that sells some interesting Alien tee shirts. Got to find out more on that. Anyone know what she's talking about? She so dang busy these days with her cooking classes, it's hard to root her out.

14. Scuba/snorkeling equipment -- the place down the street from me --Ave 15 between 5 and 7 is a good one. Also Cozumel Scuba Repair for those with cars.

15. Considering Viva Mexico on the waterfront. They have some interesting stuff.

16. Jewelry wise, we have to be so careful making rec.'s -- what places do people like? I always mention Miguelon y Hijos around the corner from me on Calle 5 near migracion but his prices are sky rocketing so I'm not sure now. Silver emporium may not have the lowest prices but you won't get fake stuff there, reputable company. Any other silver places you as a local swear by? DelMar on the waterfront selling lovely freshwater pearls creations is one I will include. Others? SIDE NOTE: I'd like to put Black List stores in the jewelry category but that might well be a one way ticket off the island para mi, he he, so, as a foreigner, can't go there.

I'm tempted to add Salome's upstairs merceria to the list as they have such a great selection of oddities for crafts and needle people. But they are not at all set up for tourists and I think it would be difficult for them to figure out how to convey what they wanted and then pay for it. I'm not sure we want to put the staff through that just to sell a little ribbon and some novelty buttons??

What have I forgotten or should know about? This is a free service designed to help small store owners. I'll also be providing a printable map and hope this will help stimulate business around town. Any suggestions would be welcome. As you can see, I'm going for places that are selling something either different and unusual or else doing it really, really well. There are too many stores selling exactly the same merchandise and it can really cloud your brain.

#2 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:09 AM

Consider adding Luis Calaca's Black Coral Factory. He is located on 20th between Juarez and Calle 2 (around the corner from Elektra). I believe he is one of the oldest black coral artists on the island. He has beautiful jewelry (many set in sterling silver) as well as magnificent black coral carvings. He's also willing to do a unique piece for you. He is always willing to give an overview of black coral and demonstrate how he does the carvings.

Since black coral is unique to Cozumel, I think it's a great spot for visitors to go and perhaps pick up a true piece of Cozumel as a memory of their trip.

His prices are listed in both US and pesos.

Another plus is that he does give a discount for locals

#3 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

The Mayan Pearl is the place on the S side of Juarez just before the church. Nelly, has quite a bit of handmade pearl jewelry, handbags, tie-dyed t-shirts, very good quality t-shirts. She recently began carrying Ed Hardy tshirts, hats, wallets, wristbands, etc. She's also got the coconut lamps. Sometimes she has windchimes, but they sell out fast.

For silver Sergio's on Juarez just east of 10th on the N side of the street.

Wet Wendy's shops for the handblown, handpainted glassware from Guadalajara with a good selection. Beautiful & unique pareos, quality jewelry, pearls, amber, corals.

I don't recall the name of the place between Salas & 1st N of the Sports Pub. That lady has many catrinas, some different masks than other shops, some tin art and other stuff.

You may want to include a tequila shop, since there are often questions about where to buy tequilas. I don't drink tequila, so I can't make a suggestion.

#4 jic811

jic811

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

Gallo is at 25th ave

#5 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:23 PM

Unless something changed, Miguelon y Hijos closed that location. We are having new wedding bands made by Miguel, and before leaving in January he gave me contact information. He was going to be working out of his home for a while. I must admit concern because he's not responding to my e-mails. When I return next week, I'll call the numbers he gave me.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:19 PM

Miguelon and Son's shop is right around the corner from me and it doesn't look closed to me at all. He just moved across the street. Literally right across the street on the Calle 5. He and his son are very nice people and do beautiful work.

thanks for the correction on the location of Gallo's gallery. That was a typo. I know where it is alright. I'm not a big fan of his style but a lot of people really dig him. I guess I should include Greg Dietrich's new studio location also, right? Anyone know where it is? Any other artist galleries open to the public? Let's give these folks some work and give tourists something else to buy besides the same old same old.

#7 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

Greg's is on Ave 15 Entre 8 y 10. Closer to 10 than 8. Right hand side as you're coming down 15.

#8 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for the info, Carey. Maybe he changed his mind. I'll drive by before calling when I get there.

Kandy

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:05 AM

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm looking at my notes from Josefina and I see she also rec.s a little shop that sells clothing for chihuhuas and other small dogs. It's on the Ave 25 in the area across from where they sell the masa at the mercado. Very small place and I've never noticed it before. Anyone else? I know this would mostly be for locals -- I'm def going to check it out. But if they have cute stuff, I can see tourists hauling some things back. Anyone been to this store?

#10 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

I just thought of another shop, but can't remember exactly where it is. It's a pottery shop - very small building with a covered patio like area off the back. He has talavera type sinks, vases, bowls, etc. and other terra cotta pieces. It seems like it was on Calle 1 or maybe Salas, no farther back than Avenida 15. Does anyone know that place I'm thinking of?

Kandy

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:59 PM

Yes, that's Alaferia which has been on the website with a photo for many years. One of my favorites.

#12 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

Wanted to post an update on Miguelon y Hijos. When we got to the island, we drove by and learned that Miguel has not moved after all. He was able to work things out with his landlord! Good news for all.

And, I feel like I should give a heartfelt recommendation. Miguel made new wedding bands for us based on the design we provided him. We were in tears when we got them. They are absolutely magnificent and exceeded our expectations. He is a true artist and his work is amazing. I highly recommend him to anyone looking for something special. One of these days I'll buy one of his carved conch shells, which are beautiful.

Kandy

#13 cybertech99

cybertech99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:05 AM

Can anyone help me find Instrumentales Musicales on Google maps. I want to buy a guitar there when I go in Jan 2011 and I want to know exactly where it is.

Thanks,
Roger

#14 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:44 AM

Can anyone help me find Instrumentales Musicales on Google maps. I want to buy a guitar there when I go in Jan 2011 and I want to know exactly where it is.

Thanks,
Roger

Google Maps is not supplying links that work. It is located on Juarez, just before the corner of avenue 15, right side of the street as you go away from the water.

#15 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

Gregs house (showroom) is on the left hand side (East side) of 15 Ave. as you take the avenue South. The Sherwood scuba store has moved from by your house to 5th Ave. between 3 Y 5 and they have greatly expanded their inventory. Pech on 30th has a lot of Talavera and can custom make any wooden furniture. Veterinaria Malix (95 av/Juárez y 2 nte) offers excellent pet medical services, bathing and treatments and clothing for pets.

Cozumel Diving

#16 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

Google Maps is not supplying links that work. It is located on Juarez, just before the corner of avenue 15, right side of the street as you go away from the water.

UNAXI PAX is the name of the music shop, Instrumentales Musicales de Mexico, simple says this business has musical instruments of Mexico.

MUSICA JUBAL 421 Av. 30 and Calle 10 is another place you want to look, ask for Danny...

#17 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:40 PM

ahem... great sandals, fishing sunglasses, clothing for fishermen and people in general....hmmm, where can these items be found? not just locals....locals bring tourists in frequently....hint hint
:)

ps, i know i am on the mom n pop shops (thank you!) but not for locals....yet
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#18 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

Galo's name is spelled with one L, not two.

Re Salome, etc. I shop there frequently & take tourists there -- the ladies handle the lack of Spanish well. Perhaps you should explain the procedures followed in many local stores here: If you want to buy, you will require the help of a salesperson even if the store seems like it's self-service. After you select your items for purchase, the salesperson will list everything on a ticket and give you the ticket. You proceed to the cashier to pay -- sometimes the cashier is hard to locate! -- pay, and you'll receive a receipt. They you should return to the salesperson, show the paid receipt, and pick up your items.

Nauti's should be on the list!

Also, Blue Mar Imports on Calle 11 just east of Ave. 10 -- in the chalet-style house. Not Mexican goods, unfortunately, but Indonesian imports: pareos & other cotton and silk clothing for men and women, shell and wood jewelry, a nice selection of small home accessories and other inexpensive items that could become very nice hostess or housewarming gifts.

#19 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:58 PM

Galo's name is spelled with one L, not two.

Re Salome, etc. I shop there frequently & take tourists there -- the ladies handle the lack of Spanish well. Perhaps you should explain the procedures followed in many local stores here: If you want to buy, you will require the help of a salesperson even if the store seems like it's self-service. After you select your items for purchase, the salesperson will list everything on a ticket and give you the ticket. You proceed to the cashier to pay -- sometimes the cashier is hard to locate! -- pay, and you'll receive a receipt. They you should return to the salesperson, show the paid receipt, and pick up your items.

Nauti's should be on the list!

Also, Blue Mar Imports on Calle 11 just east of Ave. 10 -- in the chalet-style house. Not Mexican goods, unfortunately, but Indonesian imports: pareos & other cotton and silk clothing for men and women, shell and wood jewelry, a nice selection of small home accessories and other inexpensive items that could become very nice hostess or housewarming gifts.

#20 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:03 PM

Someone mentioned a person named Greg with a showroom in his home.. not sure if they are referring to the owner of Galleria Azul or not. Although the gallery is no longer at it's former location I would like to offer a recommendation for this business... where ever it may be currently. I'm sure someone who lives on the island can give an address/location and again, it may be in the owner's home now. I have sent many artist friends to patronize this wonderful little gallery for local creations and some american artists' work who live on the island.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users