• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 shayners

shayners

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

Wow! I like the look of the new forum, but I really miss all the old stuff I could search through. La familia and I are coming back in May for a couple weeks and I'm shopping for rental cars, so I have a few rental-related questions.

Does anyone know if Rentadora Isis has automatics? Or does she only have manual transmissions? Her website doesn't specify.

Also, can someone please refresh my memory regarding car rental insurance? I know I want to get coverage, but I can't remember what all the different options are and which ones are absolutely necessary to have on the island.

Anyone have any recent recommendations for car rentals? I've used Avis and Thrifty in the past and it was all good, but I'm not opposed to shopping around.

Thanks in advance for your help. I know these questions have been answered before (many times), but I can't find them anymore, so I apologize for beating the dead horse.

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:46 PM

We won't use anyone BUT Isis. Margarita is the best. As of January, she does now have one automatic vehicle and it is REALLY nice! I was the second person to rent it and loved it. Her charge is, I believe, $60/day including full insurance with a 10% deductible. If you e-mail her and ask for it specifically, I'm sure she'd reserve it for you.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:39 AM

I have used both Isis and Less Pay and have had very good result's with both!!!
I thought the cars were a little nicer at Isis, but I didn't think there was anything wrong with the cars from Less Pay. Of course when they brought up a car for us my dauther, our friend and my wife jumped in the back.... two seconds latter my wife comes flying out and said did you see that!!! She had one of the little Geko's come running across her leg, from there we just about had to tear the vehicle apart to prove to my wife it wasn't there anymore.
But hey, this is Cozumel and I wouldn't expect or want anything different!!!
If you are looking for a newer vehicle, I am not sure who to suggest as I have always gone for low dollar vehicles and have a blast doing it... Sometimes they have had side windows, sometimes not, but again that's all in the fun of it!!

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:27 AM

Some people do OK with the ones that look like U.S. National name brands car rental agencies. You can book online through them, but have no expectation of service and protection. I'd avoid any of the companies that do come on gimmick pricing, only $11 dollars a day, $75 for the week only to find out that with all the insurance you should have, they cost triple to five times the stated price. often the cheaper the come on, the more expensive the insurance. At least with Isis and Less Pay you are dealing with a locally owned company.

Remember credit card protection is for reimbursement only, buy all the required full coverage. I wouldn't deal with a deceptive company, even if their final price was fair.

#5 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:45 AM

Last summer, my dad and I were trying to find a reasonably priced automatic to rent. I knew better, but he wanted to stop at Avis as we walked past at the plaza. The agent quoted us a price of over $700 for a week. My dad's response will stay with me forever: "How much??? We don't want to BUY a car, man, we want to RENT one!" God, I miss my dad! Posted Image

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:26 AM

Que roban. What robbery.

Always book your car online ahead of time and bring a print out so you don't get ye old baite and switche which happened to AJ in me once in Playa where we ended up with a jeep that had a hole in the front passenger floor big enough to stick my foot through.

Check with your insurance company back home and find out what if any coverage you have on foreign car rentals and base how much insurance you decide to take down here on that. Be aware that no matter what kind of state-side insurance you have, you will still have to cough up the money in cashola and here on the island and then hope you will be reimbursed for it back home. So query your insurance company carefully about this.

Many car rental companies make liability insurance mandatory here. And that's as it should be in my opinion. If you damage someone's vehicle or someone is hurt in an accident, the police will hold you ransom until you pay the damages in full and that can entail, in the case of a personal injurty, waiting while the injured party goes through the slow hospital system and an assessment is made of the costs involved.

If you take local liability, you are covered for this eventuality. Usually. There have been a few cases reported on the old forum where even with liability insurance, car renters had problems after an accident. This is unpardonable and the reason many people recommend Less Pay and Isis. They may not have the fanciest cars and, in fact, some of John's at Less Pay are beaters for sure. But both business people stand behind their services and you're not going to be left cooling your heels at the police station in the event of an accident.

If I could get other kinds of coverage back home on a foriegn rental, I would not take the other types of insurance offered as it really drives the price way up and you're already covered. But absolutely on the liability.

I've never heard anything bad about Avis here and they have lots of good cars if you need something more moderno as in with auto trans. ha ha

As to the old forums, yes, it was a bummer to lose that info to say the least. On the other hand, anything over a year old was yesterday's paper for sure. We'll just rebuilt the 'data base' of info as we go here and know that its current.

#7 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:05 AM

I have only rented from ISIS and have never had an accident, but here is my understanding of the car rental thing. There are two things to cover - 1. damage to other people and their property and/or vehicle. You can buy zero deductible insurance for this. 2. damage to the vehicle you are renting. I have not been able to find anyone who offers a zero deductible for this coverage on Cozumel. ISIS offers a 10% deductible but that means that in the case of an accident you are liable for 10% of the value of the car. If you don't have one or both of these coverages and you have an accident, you must pay fully in cash before you can leave Mexico. ISIS includes the rental cost, the taxes, the personal injury liability insurance with a zero deductible, and the property/car damage insurance with a 10% deductible in her one cost that she shows on her website. As Carey mentioned, some credit cards cover your property/car damage if you rent the car using their credit card but you still will have to pay in cash before you leave Mexico and then get reimbursed from your card company. My card has a "you must decline all property damage liability from the renter" rule but they told me that since it was all rolled into one price with ISIS that they were OK with that. I've never had to test this assumption. Good luck.

#8 shayners

shayners

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

Thanks everyone for the tips, especially about the personal liability. I knew there was a specific insurance that I wanted to get, just couldn't remember which one.

In the past I've used Avis and Thrifty and never had any problems, but I always reserved online, and they never did the bait-and-switch on me. Pretty much had to use the "big" companies as I required a mini-van and automatic transmission. You just can't fit 4 grown-ups and 2 babies in carseats in a little beater car! Plus, it was nice to be able to get the car at the airport and install the carseats right away.

This trip it's just me and hubby and the two little ones (still have the carseats), but I think we'll check into Isis because we don't need the big car this time around.

As far as doing business with deceptive vendors with good prices, I agree with you, Charles. I won't use Executive precisely for that reason. Last year I called them out on charging an airport concession fee even though they are not on airport property.

Can't wait till our trip!

#9 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

We rented from LessPay last July and had three successive cars breakdown in less than an hour. We'll be trying Isis this year.

#10 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:52 PM

We had rented from Thrifty/Dollar, booked on line, for several years (across from the airport) and never had any problems UNTIL a street light fell on and dented the hood at Punta Langosta parking lot and some tourista rear-ended us in same lot, all while the car was parked. No witnesses. We had to pay cash for repairs and our credit card company eventually reimbursed the actual price, which was about half of what we paid the rental company on the spot. It actually wasn't too expensive but considering none of the damage was our fault in the first place, extremely annoying. We were told that the insurance we purchased would not have covered the damage anyway.

Que Sera Sera.

That said, the guys at Thrifty are personable, speak English, and the cars are clean and reliable. Avoid street lights and tourists driving cars. :)

#11 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:06 PM

Last Sept. when we were down there we needed a vehicle that could haul 6 adults and their luggage. As far as I know Less-pay is the only place with something that big so we rented a suburban. It wasn't the newest or in the best shape but the AC worked and it got us around just fine. We will be back in May and we will be renting from them again.
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

#12 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

I'm glad you posted Gary, as I was just about to ask about the Suburban. Can you tell me how much the rental was with all insurance and tax? I emailed Less Pay but havent recieved a response yet.

#13 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

I recommend getting full coverage on rentals which should cover anything that happens which can often be when the car is parked minding its own business. Since I no longer have a car nor car insurance that covers rentals, I'll often buy the optional coverage in the States even though I supposedly have assorted credit card coverage. I know it is a rip off, but $25 dollars a day for a short term rental is protection from any possibility of a nightmare of forms to fill out. I have never heard of it being an issue here, but in the event that the damage puts the car out of commission until repaired, credit card protection will not cover that charge of loss of use. I know of people in Alaska getting hit with charges as in that location, it might take weeks for repairs that could be a one day problem elsewhere. When you have to transport the damaged car by barge to a repair shop, which will then order repair parts to be sent on another barge, it can take sometime for repairs. I assume Hawaii from its isolation might well be the same situation.

#14 momuv2

momuv2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:15 AM

While on this topic- I posted the same question elsewhere on the forum, forgive me, I'm new! I wondered about contact info for ISIS and Less Pay- where are they located on the island?

#15 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

momuv2, here is the link to ISIS:

http://www.islacozum.../services/isis/

They are located 2 blocks off the NE corner of the Plaza.

Also here is a pretty good free map of San Miguel. Click on it to enlarge.

http://www.seamonkey...cozumel_map.jpg

Hope that helps.

#16 MexFan2

MexFan2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

Just FYI , I have seen several people renting Suburbans at Explora, next to Abuelo Gerrados Restaurant on 10.

#17 desmei

desmei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

jcole, you might want to try contacting Less Pay again, maybe through their website? Whenever I've emailed them, they get back to me the same day.

I rented from them in the fall and we got a beater Tracker, auto transmission. It was awesome! We left the top down and the car got poured on, but fortunately all the water drained out through the holes in the floor--brilliant planning! :lol:

We're renting from them again next month.

#18 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:10 AM

sent two emails nothing yet.

#19 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

Igot a response today. the suburban from less pay is $100 per day with tax, liability and collision

#20 Emma S.

Emma S.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:People, teaching, art, photography, wildlife in natural habitat, nature, snorkeling, vegetarianism, LOVING LIFE AND LEARNING!

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

This might be long-winded but it's my advice about what appeared to be a major time share scam and didn't turn out to be...
My husband and I have been here for a week so far and we just returned our Hertz car at the airport and picked up a different one from Isis.

About Hertz at the airport: When we arrived at the airport, the tourist advisory stopped us and told us that we could get a car for $100 if we went to a resort to tour it. Initially, we thought the deal was meant to get people to tour the resort so they would stay there during this trip or during the next trip so we agreed. It turned out that the resort has a member program that's similar to a time share but not quite. If you're into staying at resorts, this might be your thing because the program allows you to stay at resorts around the world, including the US. However, my husband and I like to stay in off the beaten path when we travel so we didn't sign up. Although we declined the pushy salesman (that's his job, really), we did end up only paying $100 when we returned the car. This price included CDW insurance (I'm not sure what that is though) but it didn't include collision. In the end, I feel like we got a good deal. The only issue is that if you're truly not interested in the member program at the resort, you'll need to be firm in saying no to the program.

About Isis and Margarita at Isis: Thank you to those of you who recommended her! We picked up the one automatic she has (my husband can't drive a manual and I'm tired of driving!) for $55 USD/day, which includes liability with a 0% deductible, fees, and collision insurance at a 10% deductible. The car is very nice and has a trunk so you can hide your things while at the beach or adventuring. What I truly appreciated was that Margarita and the other staff were extremely informative about scams, street signs, pumping gas, parking, and overall driving. I told her about the positive posts about her on this site, which she greatly appreciated so be sure to let her know what people are saying. After working with her and having her help me with my Spanish practice, I told her that I'd be sure to recommend her to everyone else. It means a lot to me when busy people take time from their day to help me out. Go, Margarita!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users