#21 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

Sounds like you're being exposed to many of the "jewels" of this island, Emma. Margarita is one of our favorite people.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#22 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:59 PM

Yes, she does have some automatics. I rented a small chevy from her last February. Send her an email and ask, she is good about getting back to you quickly.

#23 Emma S.

Emma S.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:People, teaching, art, photography, wildlife in natural habitat, nature, snorkeling, vegetarianism, LOVING LIFE AND LEARNING!

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

Hi Kandy,
When I went to rent a different car today, I was going to use your dad's line if anyone tried to overcharge for a car! That's hilarious!

#24 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

LOL That's one of my fondest memories of our week here together last year. Thanks, Emma. It's good to remember those special moments.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#25 Rachel123

Rachel123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

I chose to use ISIS partially because of this forum. After my experience I created an account to let people know DO NOT USE ISIS under any circumstances!!!! They were the sketchiest place in town! First, the car I wanted did not have a mirror. Next, they tried to get me to sign a bank charge slip that did not have a dollar amount. I asked how much they were charging and they said $30, but they refused to write 30 down on the charge slip. Finally, they admitted that they were trying to charge $5,500 FOR A ONE DAY RENTAl!! It was just in case there are damages to a CAR that is already FALLING APPART.
Do not use!!

#26 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

Rachel123, you simply didn't pay attention. Margarita runs a credit card slip when you take one of HER cars. She doesn't charge you. She gives you slip back when you return the car. Nothing sketchy about that at all.

Do you honestly want us to believe the car you rented had NO mirrors at all, or are you saying one was missing?

#27 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

I would say something, but my guys just made the El Policia page with a national tourist complaining.   I still love them.  They have treated us well.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#28 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

Imprinting a "Blank" charge slip is pretty standard for the car rental agencies on Cozumel.  Many of Margarita's less expensive rentals have minor issues with them, but they are fun to drive, She is not too worried about any minor scratches and if you need help, they do respond.  She does have some newer (and nicer) cars that they are a little more picky about.  They rent for more money, but still one of the better values on the island.

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#29 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

Couple of things that everybody needs to know.

1.  Your credit card insurance will NOT pay for a collision if you have an accident   It will reimburse you, if you have proper paperwork to file a claim. Which means, you pay out of pocket, in cash first.   So take full coverage.  Only liability insurance is required with every rental.

2.  Having an imprint of your credit card is standard business when renting.  Not only Mexico.

3.  Inspect the car first.  If it doesn't meet your needs, then ask for another, or move on to another vendor.

4.  There is no such thing as "lost wages" if you have an accident.  People who WORK here have benefits.  If you don't work, you have lost no wages.

5.  ISIS, runs an honest business.  

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#30 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

Hey chief.  If your guys are the same as my guys I'd like to know what it's about.  You can pm me if you don't want to put it on here.  Hope to post a report about our last couple of trips (Jan, and July) in the next couple of days.  

#31 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

My guys are Rooster/Pirata rentals. Best I can make out of it, a group of MX tourists rented a car and it broke down.  It took them a while to get back to or in touch with the agency and then I think maybe they were just demanding all their money back?  I think the agency was was giving them a replacement car rather than all their money back or something like that.  They were complaining that they spent most of the day messing with the car rental and they were only in Coz for one day.

They don't have brand new cars.  We have had an issue or two over the years.  We tend to get the same car time.  They have switch it out, fixed the issue and returned it before for us.  The price is great and they have always treated us well, so I have no issues.   In fact I rented one from them this week for friends who are coming down and I have one on order for us in September.  We had the whole fam down in July and they got me three cars, all fine.  It was a little shocking though.  They ran out of their cars so the got us one from someone else. It was a brand new nissan.  Little shocking to have a new car in the fleet.  I kinda prefer the already scratched and dented rentals.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#32 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

One more thumbs up for Isis. We have been renting from Margarita for the past 7 or 8 years and never, I repeat NEVER had a problem. The one time we did have a car with defective brakes and she replaced it no questions asked. We rent a newer model VW or Chevy for a week and the rates a reasonable. I contact her about a week in advance and she sends a driver over to the Coral Princess to pick me up on the day we want the car. They drive us back to the CP after we turn it in.

One cautionary tale from last year. We got ripped off at the New gas station out on the Transversal heading toward the east side. Made the mistake of paying in dollars and they cheated me on the exchange. It was my own fault for not paying in pesos and for not doing the math correctly in my head. Cost me something like an extra $20 US.  Lesson learned.

#33 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

We have always had a great experience with ISIS.  

All car rental companies will run your card and have you sign it.  Also, missing pieces on rental cars in Mexico is very common.  I am afraid you did not do enough research to have realistic expectations.

#34 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

I love Isis too.  I did use them, but I had a hard time getting an automatic with air.  They used to have like one.  So I switch for cheaper and automatic.  If I were ever to change again, I would probably go back to Isis.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#35 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

We always rent from Isis, and really like Margarita. You do need to check the cars carefully, we've gotten one with no mirrors, one with such a bent headrest that I was staring at the floor, one that had the muffler fall off, and one with a replacement battery that was supposed to be newish, but had been switched out for a bad one. Seatbelts are always a challenge. They will replace the cars, no questions, and when things happen at beach clubs, a quick call, and someone is sent out immediately to fix the problem. We chalk it up to manana, and get a big chuckle out of the experience.

If your back seat gets stolen, you will have to pay for it. Otherwise, Isis insurance is a good deal. And anytime you do business, like at a hotel or rental, they always take a blank impression of your credit card, then you get it back and rip it up when you check out.

#36 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

There is indeed "Lost Wages", which apparently no insurance covers, but that has rarely been a problem. If you are at fault, liability insurance covers the physical damages and the cost of any medical treatments. If the party is indeed injured and will miss work, you may be required to compensate them for lost income. Only from a well publicized incident involving a pastor, at fault in an accident resulting in compound leg fractures did the injured party demand compensation that exceeded the amount of money that could be obtained quickly via ATM. If the pastor had been willing to wait additional days in jail it is likely the judge would have reduced the amount of compensation for lost wages. There is no concept of compensation for pain and suffering.

From that incident, a North American hotel owner (with limited Spanish fluency) misinterpreted social security disability payment for accidents as applying to vehicle "accidents" which are a criminal matter. IMSS, Seguro Social is the Mexican Social Security providing most often low quality health insurance and limited benefits for a disability whether temporary of permanent for covered workers. When I had IMSS, but had to have  emergency surgery by a private doctor, it was seven days after surgery when I able to go in person to schedule an appointment to be seen. They were all booked up and it was ten days until the earliest available appointment. Once I was finally seen, 17 days after an obvious incapacity, payments could only begin after the third day. It was on day 21 with a ruptured kidney that I received my first $3.35 daily disability payment. I don't recommend it. IMSS pays 100% of your salary for work related accidents or 65% for an incapacity resulting from something outside of work.

ISIS includes all needed insurance with their rentals recite the faithful. It is 10% deductible which is usually not mentioned by the faithful, but is indeed mentioned by Margarita. The 10% does not cover back seats nor stolen batteries nor even worn out tires that give up the ghost. For those that prefer driving worn out beaters for their island ambiance, I do suggest carefully checking critical concerns like brakes and tire treads.

Zero deductible insurance can be purchased at some agencies for an additional charge. It is wise to confirm if your insurance is zero or 10%, but even the complete insurance coverage does not include "lost wages".

#37 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

I chose to use ISIS partially because of this forum. After my experience I created an account to let people know DO NOT USE ISIS under any circumstances!!!! They were the sketchiest place in town! First, the car I wanted did not have a mirror. Next, they tried to get me to sign a bank charge slip that did not have a dollar amount. I asked how much they were charging and they said $30, but they refused to write 30 down on the charge slip. Finally, they admitted that they were trying to charge $5,500 FOR A ONE DAY RENTAl!! It was just in case there are damages to a CAR that is already FALLING APPART.
Do not use!!

Actually, running your credit card is standard.  Both in Cozumel & in the USA.  I have to travel for business and the 1st thing the front desk asks is for my credit card.  When I check out I use any card or pay w/cash.  My choice.  In Cozumel the hotel has always run my card, I pay them in pesos (if any charges were incurred) & they always give me the blank printed slip to tear up.  Same when we rent a vehicle.  It's all good.  Let's say my sweetness & I rent a car to drive around the island.  We stop at Coconuts and stay too long (great margueritas!), turn towards town on the Transversal and veer off into the jungle, total the car & we die. They'll get their money for the car and our very grown kids get a little less.  It won't effect me, eh?

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#38 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

I have no problem admitting when I am wrong/misguided in regards to the "lost wages" issue.

I have no interest in being argumentative, but this issue has been kicked around for years.

Couple of questions;

1.  When a tourist is in a accident,and they are at fault, how do they settle up and be on their way if "lost wages" are claimed?  How many days, weeks, a lifetime is determined to be paid for "lost wages"?

2.  From the reports of accidents that I have read , it appears that a settlement is reached pretty quickly, and the party that was "injured" signs off on additional demand for payment, such as "lost wages", and how would you collect that debt?

3.  How does one prove they are entitled to "lost wages"?  If you don't work, you have not lost wages.

I would like to have a definitive,legal resource that states that if I am found to be liable for an accident "lost wages" is my responsibility.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#39 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

The doctor or clinic providing treatment to the injured party would have an idea how many days of work might be missed. Once the injured party signs off as satisfied, you're done. As I said, it is rarely a problem, but people do indeed pay it in settlement of all damages. If an accident damaged and ruined clothing, they should receive compensation for that too. In a nutshell, the victim is made "whole again". Once again, when the victim signs off as satisfied, you are released from custody and you're both on your merry ways. Now pain and suffering, that still doesn't exist. I am not sure I am understanding your questions though. If you want a definitive legal resource, I'd suggest you take your own usual advice to others and speak to your attorney.

#40 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

I think my insurance company would be the most qualified to answer this question.

I will ask her for my benefit, and share what the story is.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users