Cruise Ship Employee Death?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

This is a bit old, but I was wondering if Carey or any other locals knew anything more about this?

Cruise employee found dead in Cozumel, Mexico
By GABRIEL ALCOCER
The Associated Press

Updated: 2:21 p.m. Monday, Feb. 7, 2011

Posted: 10:13 a.m. Monday, Feb. 7, 2011

Post a Comment E-mail Print Larger Type Small Type
CANCUN, Mexico — A crew member of a Royal Caribbean cruise ship was found dead in the Mexican resort island of Cozumel, possibly the victim of a violent crime, authorities and company officials said Sunday.

The body of Monika Markiewicz, 32, was recovered from the ocean off the southern part of the island Saturday, said Francisco Alor, attorney general of Quintana Roo state, where Cozumel is located.

He said an autopsy determined the cause of death was drowning but added that Markiewicz also suffered a blow to the head. Police are investigating whether her death was a homicide, he said.

Royal Caribbean spokesman Cynthia Martinez said the information the company had received indicated "she was the victim of a violent crime, and did not drown accidentally." She referred questions about the case to Mexican authorities.

A Royal Caribbean statement said Markiewicz, a Polish national, debarked from the Allure of the Seas on Friday and did not return. The statement said Markiewicz worked as a musician aboard the ship.

"Tragically, we recently became aware that the crew member was a victim of a violent crime while ashore in a remote area in Cozumel," the statement said. "We extend our most sincere and heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of our crew member."

There was confusion over the situation of a second person aboard the Allure of the Sea.

The attorney general said Markiewicz left the ship with an unidentified companion who was located Sunday at a Cancun hospital. Alor said authorities were trying to determine what Markiewicz and the companion were doing when the Polish woman died.

However, Martinez said the company had no knowledge of a second missing crew member or passenger.

She said a guest left the ship Friday "but it was for medical attention, which she received at a local hospital."

"She was not related to the crew member. The two incidents are not related," Martinez said.

Cozumel, one of Mexico's most popular tourist destinations, is far removed from the drug gang violence plaguing the country's northern border with the U.S. and parts of its Pacific coast. Violence is rare on the island off the Yucatan peninsula, known for its clear blue seas, scuba diving and snorkeling.

The death in Cozumel came as several cruise ship companies are canceling stops in the Mexican Pacific port of Mazatlan due to crimes against tourists.

Disney Wonder and Holland American Line have both dropped calls to Mazatlan, and other companies, including Carnival Cruise, are considering it.

Mazatlan is in the state of Sinaloa, which is the cradle of several Mexican cartels and has one of the highest homicide rates in the country.

However, Mazatlan has been much safer than the rest of the state. Port officials have described the crimes against cruise passengers as isolated and minor, including purse snatches.

Headlines about beheadings and drug cartel massacres have taken a toll on the cruise ship industry in Mexico, even in destinations far away from such violence.

Carnival's 2,500-passenger Spirit is moving from San Diego to Australia by 2012 because of economic woes and increasing fears over traveling to Mexico.

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:55 PM

Probably never before have "facts been invented, re-invented, total distortions and rapidly changing" then the whole thing swept under the rug and much of it deleted from original media sources. It would be quite comical if the deaths of two women were not involved and if a "confession" was not beaten out of a "mildly retarded individual". I like cruisejunkie.com, I have shared stories, news reports and experiences with the publisher Ross for years. Ross has a solid reputation for solid journalism of reporting the facts accurately that the cruise lines might want covered up or remain quiet. The Human Rights Commission is investigating the investigation and arrest of Nelson. A ruling was issued in Cancun regarding the American woman, suicide from swallowing a safety pin while hospitalized. I wonder how much this cost RCL to cover their asses and protect themselves from civil liabilities.

As I communicated back and forth with Ross, he changed the report with three UPDATES and clarifications. Ross finally gave up and ended the story with the final three lines. Nelson was mostly described as a bar tender or waiter except by his boss who said he was a mozo, clean up person. It supposedly involved the Barracuda Bar, which was confused with the No Name Bar located downtown at the Barracuda Hotel. It was the American woman, Samantha Page Thomas who died in Cancun and the Polish violinist, Ms. Markiewicz was found washed ashore in Cozumel. Starting with a blank slate death investigation, it was determined to be foul play in record time. Thus a murder investigation began which involved no witnesses nor any physical evidence. It took only 24 hours to detain a suspect and then only 24 hours more to beat and torture this mentally impaired individual into signing a confession that is disputed if he can read or write. An American tourist leaves the ship supposedly seeking medical attention in Cozumel on Friday. Saturday she rents a jeep in Playa and drives to a hospital in Cancun on Sunday. She supposedly gave a number of fake names, misc. serious medical conditions denied by her mother, than after no arrangements had been confirmed to pay for medical costs, she was transferred to the public hospital dying from swallowing a safety pin. That was quickly ruled a suicide so no need to investigate what had transpired between the time she left the ship until she arrived at the first hospital 48 hours later. The initial reports had the two women involved in a relationship, reportedly leaving the ship together, but that soon changed. I have read more logical and factual articles in The Onion.

Great Job RCL! Two cases off the same brand new ship and in a mere 72 hours, any and all civil liability for the cruise line eliminated from two deaths under very strange circumstances. It was reported that these were the 5th and 6th deaths aboard RCL ships in the previous ten days. I don't know much in the way of true facts in this, but I am positive that about 95% of the numerous media reports were completely wrong. Neither RCL nor judicial officials could issue press releases without being in total conflict. Both sides kept changing stories attempting to sort of match, but the suicide ruling and "murder confession" eliminated any need for agreement in the events that had transpired. Case closed, three families devasted, far too sad to be comical.

The following is from cruisekunkie: http://www.cruisejun...com/events.html
Associated Press reports a 32 year old female crew member was found dead in the Mexican resort island of Cozumel, possibly the victim of a violent crime. Her body was recovered from the ocean off the southern part of the island Saturday. An autopsy determined the cause of death was drowning but she also suffered a blow to the head. Police are investigating whether her death was a homicide. The Polish woman worked as a musician aboard the ship. UPDATE and Clarification: The Latin American Herald Tribune reports authorities are investigating the deaths of two women who arrived at Cozumel on the cruise ship Allure of The Seas, state Attorney General Francisco Alor said Tuesday. In an interview with Efe, the official explained that so far authorities have found no link between the deaths. The case began last Friday when, shortly before leaving Mexican waters, personnel on the Allure of The Seas reported that a Polish musician who worked on the ship and a U.S. tourist had not returned on board after visiting the island. On Saturday morning, the body of a woman was found floating near the seashore in Cozumel. The victim had the marks of blows on different parts of her body and at first it was thought that it was missing crew member Monika Markiewicz. Meanwhile, at a private hospital in nearby Cancun a woman was receiving emergency treatment after she swallowed a metal brooch in an apparent suicide attempt, Alor said. When she had entered the hospital, the woman had given the name of Monika Markiewicz, but later she said her name was Monica Warshal. When she could not guarantee the private hospital payment for its services, the institution sent her to Cancun’s General Hospital, which is public, where as per standard procedure hospital authorities notified the Quintana Roo AG’s office and the INM immigration agency that she had been admitted. Thus, authorities were able to rule out that the body that had been found on the Cozumel beach was that of the missing Polish musician, and it was determined that that body belonged to the missing U.S. tourist, Samantha Page Thomas. An autopsy determined that the tourist died from asphyxiation by submersion, and it found that the blows on the woman’s face occurred after her death. “We’re working with the cruise ship people. They have asked for videos, photographs and records to establish what happened to Samantha Page Thomas. For now, we cannot say if this was a murder or if she fell into the sea accidentally,” Alor said. Meanwhile, Markiewicz died Monday night in the Cancun hospital from lesions caused by the metallic brooch – about 5 centimeters (2 inches) in diameter – that she swallowed. UPDATE: A 24 year old bartender in Cozumel has been charged with Markiewicz's murder. The two reportedly had been casually acquainted for several months. UPDATE: There appears to be many different, conflicting accounts about what happened suggesting reliable information is lacking. There is no dispute about the two deaths, but confusion about other facts. What is reported here is based on media reports.

#3 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:41 AM

Well that certainly clears things up for me!

NOT!

#4 4aGoodCoz

4aGoodCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Travel, food, family and friends.

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

We arrived on Coz on February 5, the day the body was found. Policia were stationed 24/7 near the entrance of the Residencias Reef condos for our entire 10 day stay on the island. I guess the body was found not far from there? Did some diving with an individual closely related to the ownership/management of the Barracuda bar where the accused gentleman worked as a busboy. Said he was beaten and quickly removed from the island and placed in jail in Cancun. This poor kid didn't stand a chance, I guess. Rode a bike with a basket, worked long hours and comes from a very poor family.
Never did really get the story as to what happened with the girl who swallowed the...whatever she swallowed. I heard everything from safety pin to smuggled/stolen jewels. We also heard that the two women were involved...and that there was some kind of a lover's triangle. We also heard that the busboy was at work when the murder happened. Who knows?
The funny thing is, we asked around for 2 whole days about the police presence outside our gate and nobody seemed to know. We just figured perhaps an important official was vacationing. I guess I have to agree with the "swept under the rug" comment. Locals didn't even seem to know about it for a few days.
If anyone knows what happened to that poor busboy, could you post an update?
Christie
"I have to go, I feel I’m sinkin'. I just don’t know, but I can’t stop thinkin'...Mexico." - Firefall

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Finally an update after over one year and two months, Nelson Pérez Torres was released from jail. Well now RCL, the money paid for two deaths investigations from the same ship "Allure of the Seas" was not sufficient to prove the death of Monika Warsaw Markiewicz, violinist was murdered by a local. I am not certain the evidence actually indicated a violent death. Did RCL ever turn over their security tapes? Has any money been paid to Monika's family in Poland? It just couldn't have been caused by a fellow cruise ship employee? That could open them up to major civil law suits. It would be interesting to see if shortly after the ship returned to Miami, if any employee had to resign and quickly exit the country back to wherever they came from. Heaven forbid, if a crime did occur, it could have been committed by a passenger.

There was never a need for any investigation as in miraculous time, a death investigation was begun, a suspect "identified" that was a viable candidate to beat a confession out of him. In the days after Nelson's arrest, when the press was given access to him to interview, he could just express his happiness at being in jail, not in custody of the police who had constantly beaten and tortured him until he signed a "confession". I don't know if he could even read or his ability to give a signature. He is a person with low mental development, who had found his niche to be a productive worker. He was working at a bar with his brother and worked as a clean up person, a general mozo.

Torture and beatings by police are illegal in Mexico, BUT if they are used to gain a signed "confession", the confession is legally valid and can be used against them in court. There was overwhelming evidence that not only did Nelson not commit this "crime", but that he was incapable of the circumstances reported in the investigation.

A brand new ship, when RCL had several deaths in prior weeks, they wanted the case quickly cleared. Now for the other death that occurred from this ship from the same port of call and all the nonsense and conflicting reports. The woman reported left the ship to seek medical attention in Cozumel on Friday. Then she rented a car in Playa on Saturday. Sunday she shows up at a private hospital in Cancun. After been uncertain of being able to receive payment for "treatment" she was transferred to the public hospital and soon died after swallowing a safety pin. The newspaper showed a picture on a medium sized safety pin which had been straightened which was supposedly the instrument of her "suicide". The Fe de Hechos prepared by a Ministerio Publico on her death ruled a suicide, closed the case from further investigation and again, protected RCL from civil litigation by her family. Various outrageous claims were made in the report, all denied by her mother of existing mental and physical health problems. A very sad case of the dead of two women, but an absolute comedy of ever changing "facts" and press reports.

Justice delayed is not justice and three families have experienced a great tragedy from these events. The nightmare is finally over for Nelson and his family. I hope the two other families can receive some form of justice for their love ones.

This whole mess just couldn't have involved any crew or passengers from the cruise ship, that could result in bad publicity and civil liabilty by RCL.

http://www.poresto.n...idTitulo=162491 from the April 25th, 2012 edition of Por Esto!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users