• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Syenite

Syenite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

I've never been to Cozumel but I've planned a last minute trip for this week. My family and I are all well versed snorkelers. I was 'Google Earth'ing and noticed what looked like some interesting reef at the north eastern most tip of Cozumel. On Google Earth the area is labeled as "Faro Norte". I can't find any info about reef conditions at that particular spot. Does anyone know if this area is good for shore snorkeling and also if the area is accessible? We will have a rental car, but I only spotted a lone sand road going up into that area. Advise? Tips? We're looking for more out of the way spots.

#2 Syenite

Syenite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

Punta Molas Faro, I've discovered. Does anyone know if it is accessible by jeep?

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

I dont think you can drive anywhere up there. A guy named Adrian has a snorkeling tour that I hear is great and takes you up there by boat and you walk the mangoves and see the light house and such. I know people who have done it and its great. You cant drive and most of the jeeps had the 4wd disconnected to keep you from trying.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#4 kentuckoz

kentuckoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

We did the Punta Molas trip with Adrian of Especias fame a couple of years ago. It was a wonderfull day.The trip is pricey $300 for a couple but totally private; Adrian doesn't group strangers together. We met
him at an obscure marina north of San Miguel and set out on his Panga boat for Punta Molas.He will only take you out if the weather is right.Snorkeling at the reef at Punta Molas is good although it can get a little
choppy.Stopping at the lighthouse is neat although you can,t climb it anymore since its been bricked up. Next we stopped at a lagoon with some baby crocs and a small Mayan temple in the middle.Finally we did what
Adrian called extreme snorkeling where Adrian trailed a ropr behind his boat and towed us along utill we found an interesting coral head to visit. The best part of the trip was Adrian himself who is a descendant of
the original founding families of Cozumel and a great guide.Plus he makes some great tortas

#5 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

You can't drive there. And yes, all the jeep rentals are NOT 4 wheel drive. Plus if you take them off a paved road the insurance is void.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users