• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:39 AM

Can't decide about bringing my car to Mexico or buying a car. Decisions Decisions. Maybe I will flip a coin.

To bring one it is not easy and you need to get it out of the country if and when you get your fm2 and the five years runs out on the fm2. that is 10 yrs from now. By then it will most likely not be running.

Ron

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:25 AM

Technically you cannot have a foreign plated car under an FM2.

Cozumel Diving

#3 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:41 AM

From what I read for a non working retirement fm2 you can have it until the fm2 runs out the you have to move up to imigrado

Got this from another board. It also said that the fm3 is good for 5 yrs and then you have to move up to an fm2 you cannot stay with an fm3 upon renewl. To do so you would have to leave Mexico then reapply for the fm3.

If all this is true then you can only keep your car in country for 5 yrs and either re apply for the fm3 or move up to the fm2 and you need to take the car out of Mexico according to you, But if the other board is correct I can keep the car 10 yrs 5 under fm3 and 5 under fm2

Ron

#4 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

The most recent information I have received from my attorney is that you do not have to move to an FM2 if you don't want to. Further, there are now changes in the regulations/laws that allow you to make the switch much sooner if you choose. Interestingly, a friend of mine just last month got his FM2 - he never had an FM3. So, it's clearly not a hard and fast 10 years. Does this make your decision more difficult?

If it were me, I'd avoid all hassle and just buy a car in Mexico. Used or new doesn't matter. It's simply easier. I'm glad we did it. I still have my car in the states, but I plan to sell it soon.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#5 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

We have been doing the same thing . Have decided to buy a car there as we want the mexican plates also. Will be touring the mainland and possibly going to Belize as we get the time to do so . I know it is safe to do so but driving a plain old car around that looks like it belongs is just one more ounce of caution.

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

You never have had to change from an FM3 to an FM2. I have had an FM3 for 16 years. Since my wife is nationalized, which means we can own property outright, can matriculate the car under her name and have a different tax code, I don't feel the need to change it. Drawbacks on FM2 are minimal. There is the car thing and then there is some specific amount of time that you can leave the country and if you exceed it you loose the FM and have to start over again, but this is usually not a problem for the majority. When I moved here there were few car dealerships, even on the mainland. Now there are many. I would definitly purchase a car here if possible. However purchasing a new car is not in everyones budget.

The law regarding cars under FM3 (Article 106) specifically states that the car is legal as long as the FM is in effect. There is no time limit. When your FM expires you turn it in and get another one. You do not have to leave the country, nor does the vehicle. This is in regards to foreign plated cars.

If you have a foreign plated car you should keep a copy of the title, a certified Spanish copy of the title, the importation document you were given by the aduana be it here or the border, a copy of your passport and FM, your drivers license and finally you should have a color copy of "ARTICULO 106 LEY ADUANERA EN VIGOR" in your vehicle. The last document defines the conditions for legally having a foreign plated car here under an FM3. You can find it on-line at the Mex.gob website or if you really need it I can email a copy of it to you.

As I previously posted it is technically illegal to have a foreign plated car here under an FM2.

Cozumel Diving

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

All of what Mike is telling you is correct, Ron. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet. You need to verify the source when using data so obtained as part of an important life decision.

Even more specifically, since you are in the Yucatan, which was only upgraded from a territory in the 1930's and which is a looooong way from Mexico City, you need even more specific information re how the law is actually enforced so far away from the Federal capital. Cancun and Merida won't cut it either. You need information on how things are done right now on our isolated little island where bureaucrats can be stubborn and/or like to stick to the old ways of doing things unless forced to change when someone kicks up a huge ruckus. So federal law as it is enforced on Cozumel island seems to often be in flux. Meaning right before you make a decision, check with someone like Monica Sauza to get the straight skinny. (And then pass it on to us if you learn something new. Thank you very much.

Total bs about having to move to an FM2 after five years by the way.

We've been on FM3's for 11 years and just renew every year. No problems whatsoever with our foreign plated car and we can come and go as much as we please.

#8 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

I have to jump through hoops to get my car to Coz.
1 get a South Dakota lic. Plate
2 drive to Florida
3 change plates
4 send N.Y. plates back
5 get a letter from New York and send it to my insurance co. in New York to cancel insurance
6 ship the car
7 go to Cancun pick up bill of lading
8 go to the ship to pick up car
Whoooo a lot but I love my old Toyota and would be perfect for the island
I got to think and re think this
But I am starting to get excited about the move before I was just plain nervous. LOL

Ron

#9 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

I asked Monica about this and she said you have to get the FM3 first. I guess I will have to look at that.

Ron

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:05 PM

Ron, you do need an FM3 if you want to bring your auto with you, and will stay here as long as your papers are current...the rest of what you are talking about I have NO idea.

Why would you change your plates, drive to Fla....no need.

Get your FM3, buy your import tag at the boarder, and buy international insurance...that's it. You will need to keep current on your US insurance to be current with your international insurance. To keep current on your US insurance means that you must be current on your tags from your home state.

My husband and I both have FM2's and have had them for a number of years and have a foreign plated truck here, with US and International insurance coverage.

I have been stoped by the local police and want a foreigner who has an FM3/2 to have a Mx drivers licenses...no big deal.

With what is going on here with the liablity insurance, I would NEVER NOT have complete coverage.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

Good day Paula
I will try to explain.
I have no intention of keeping my U.S insurance since I am not going to be in the states.
In New york I have to hand in my plates if I give up my insurance hence getting plates in South Dakota no insurance needed.

2 So I keep my New York plates on while I drive my car to Florida. When I get to the dock I switch New York plates out and put S.D. plates on

The reason I am shipping I will not drive the car through Mexico at this time.

3 There are several companies that will insure the car without U.S. insurance they will give full coverage for 365 days and then it renews

I just need to decide if I will keep my car or go for a Mexican plated car

That is the jist of it.

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:46 PM

I would purchase a new MX vehicle here.

Insurance is inexpensive, and you know you will be covered.

You can have your vehicle shipped down, or you can follow the shipper down. Marcos will be down in about a month.

How much is switching the registrations from one state to the next, and don't you have to show proof of insurance when you change plates from one state to the next, as well as smog checks and the like?

But, perhaps these are non issues.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#13 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:26 PM

Registration is a few dollars insurance is not required to register, NO smog checks there are no issues.
So I got to put on my thinking cap

Ron

#14 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

Not to be arguementative but thousands of US cars enter Mexico every day of the week without the owners having an FM3. My truck and boat were here a month before I applied for my FM.

Cozumel Diving

#15 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:20 AM

My car came in on a tourist visa, no problem if you're driving it down, which was an adventure that I don't care to repeat anytime soon...

Question for CZMDM, since your wife is naturalized, can she drive the car without you in it? Just curious.

If I could do it over again, I would have just bought a Mexican car here. 'Cause now I don't what I'll do when it's time for the gringa-mobile to retire... Cross that bridge when I get to it I suppose.

Good luck with the move!

#16 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

Erin, my immediate family is allowed to drive the car. No one else. I have seen foreign plated cars seized because the owners allowed the wrong people to drive the car. We were going to import our Landcruiser a few of years ago but the people at the Palace told us that the truck was registered in the Cozumel computer system and could not be matriculated unless it left the country and then was re-imported. Since my wife's name is on both the title and the importation document and since she has her citizenship she is allowed to matriculate it under her name without it leaving, which is what we are planning on doing.

Cozumel Diving

#17 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

I heard somewhere you can now nationalize cars that are older then 10yrs old true or false?
Also if the car dies and you cannot bring it back to life does it still have to leave the country if you leave or if you move up to imigrado ? I know I spelled that wrong.

Ron

#18 cdg85705

cdg85705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:55 PM

I just shipped my car from AZ to Florida by truck and then it is to come by sea with Hyde Shipping. Hopefully, it will be here next Tuesday. There was a lot of paperwork I had to provide, as well as get a customs broker. It was not overwhelming and my auto insurance is about half of what it is in the US. I have to go to Cancun to pick up the paperwork, then go to Puerto Morelos to pick up the vehicle. I plan to take one of my Mexican friends to go with me so I can make sure I understand totally what they are saying. It cost about $2400 to ship it. I don't know what the customs broker will charge..I got the title translated last fall as I was planning to do this anyway. Monica was very helpful and it only cost $200 pesos. We'll see how it goes. I have FM3 status and the vehicle is a 1998...good condition living in the dry desert and low miles. I got it undercoated before I shipped it. I am just tired of having to pay taxi fare to go to the beach, bike to the dive shop with gear on my back, and when my family and friends come, it is so much easier to go places with them. I still will ride the bus downtown and in high traffic areas. I have a bicycle and will continue to use it. Hey, I will be 55 next year! It's time.

Tina

#19 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:27 AM

Ron you can import the car if you have a document indicating that you are a permanent resident. About 5 years ago the Aduana was charging about $500USD for the documentation.

Cozumel Diving

#20 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

Hello Tina
Can you please tell me what paper work you needed? I know you need the title translated. But what other paperwork.
As far as customs brokers I called the New York consulate they said you do not need a broker. Are you sure about that? I would think if you drove it across a boarder or drove it through customs it would be the same thing,and that is what New York consulate says.
Who are you using as a broker?
Any detailed info would be appreciated.

Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users