34 replies to this topic

#21 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:57 AM

Again, Ron You need to stop relying very much on information you get from Mexican consulates in the US. I've said it before and I'll say it again Federal law which is what a consulate will be quoting you, is often very loosely interpreted and sometimes even ignored in this neck of the woods.

It's good to know your 'rats' as we say in the south. But knowing what you're supposed to get isn't going to help you a hair when you're up against a Mexican official who has their own way of doing things. So best to get info as you are doing from people who have actually done this recently and bag what the consulate tells you for the most part, frankly.

Let me give you a little example. We came down on the Yucatan Express ferry into Puerto Morelos. We had a menaje de casa and were driving our car with a small trailer attached. We were told by the consultate in Tampa that we would need an aduana to meet us at the port and broker our imports so I hired one. We got there and she didn't show up. She was having dinner in Cancun and decided not to come. A Cozumel aduana who is still in business, I might add.

So we had to deal with the customs people ourselves. Who didn't look too familiar with a menaje de casa and the regs of such which was supposed to be free. So they just winged it. They ask us how much we thought out good were worth and Tony gave them some low figure he came up with off the top of his head. They charged us $1500 pesos in import tax based on this figure. And, in parting the young man reminded us that if we'd had the aduana there, her fee would have been more than we paid the Puerto Morelos in import taxes.

So stay on your toes, hang loose and practice your best sh*t-eatin' grin. 'Cause ya need it when you deal with the bureaucrats. This is one of the singularly UNfun parts of living down here. Get angry or even look impatient with a Mexican official and you will rue the day, believa me.

#22 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

Here's a question I have as my wife and I will becoming down in may of next years on a FM3 and at first we were planning on driving our 2008 Jeep down but have now decided to sell both cars here and buy in Mexico and gp with the Mexican plates. Question can we drive the car with Mexican plates to the US if we had need to.
Breath in Breath out move on

#23 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

Yes. Make sure you have insurance that's good in the U.S. I live in a border town and people from Mexico drive over here and back everyday.

#24 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:51 AM

Ron, Carey is right about checking with people down here and/or who have recently shipped things. As an example... I didn't ship a car, but I did ship 15 boxes, 2 cargo boxes, a trunk, and two wooden crates. This was my FM3 shipment. People on the island told me about all the detailed information that had to be on the Menaje de Casa, an English and Spanish version (what exactly is in each box). One person was even kind enough to give me all of her documentation from a few years ago so I could do it exactly like that - they had no problems with their shipment. Anne Harris even sent me the forms to use.

I contacted Marcos, who you know drove my things from Texas to my front door here on the island. He said that you no longer need the Menaje de Casa. Just prepare a table that lists in one column the box number, and in the other the general contents of the box (e.g., kitchen appliances). He said there was no need to list individual items in each box. I was skeptical, but I trusted him. It turns out that Marcos was right. He had no problems whatsoever crossing the border or anywhere along the way down here. Everything arrived in due time.

So, I'd say the best information you can get is from someone who has recently shipped a vehicle down here. I know Marcos is moving your things down here. Can he not also bring your car? I know there are issues with who can legally drive a vehicle that may prevent that, but I thought it would be worth asking. Good luck!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#25 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

I just started to get boxes. I will talk to Marcos perhaps he can tow the car.

I also contacted Tina who is shipping her car by Hyde no word yet.

Thanks

Ron

#26 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

Can some supply the name of Marcos company and a contact e-mail as the wife and I are probally going to use him when we move down next year due to all the favorable things people have had to say about him

Thanks Mike
Breath in Breath out move on

#27 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

He is not a company. He runs a truck or two with his wife.
Contact is MarcosMohoric@hotmail.com

Ron

#28 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

He does have a couple of guys who work with him. The one who was with him when he picked my stuff up in Texas was a former customs agent (convenient). There were two other guys with him on this end when he arrived (along with his wife). He and his wife really are wonderful. I think we talked for about half an hour after they finished unloading my things. I highly recommend him.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#29 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:56 AM

When we moved down here we used Hyde Shipping. We brought a 40' trailer with household goods, a Landcruiser and a 27' Boston Whaler. While I was down here watching the house get built, my wife stayed in the States to sell our house in Florida and worked with her mom to mark the boxes as the movers prepared everything for the trip. The wife did the Menaje de Casa with a list that included every single item. When we got here we had the same experience as Kandy....nobody checked the list (or anything else) and we were told that although the list was fine, we only needed to list in general what was in each box, not the specifics.

You might take an attitude that it's better safe than sorry with the Menaje de Casa, which I think is good, especially here, to be prepared. On the other hand I have never met anyone that had any trouble with getting their stuff (outside of a bribe here or there to speed things up). I have met people that refused to pay any mordida and were refused their goods for a number of off the wall reasons.

Cozumel Diving

#30 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

I was going to have my car brought in with my furniture instead of shipping by boat. I called the Mexican customs.
They said that the only one that can bring the car into Mexico is the owner. I thought I read that people did have their cars trucked down. And that they were able to because they got the permits in advance online. Has anyone had experience with this.

Thanks
Ron

#31 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

I know someone who had their truck shipped down a few years back. But she had a couple of dive tanks in the back and they held her up at customs for absolutely exhorbitant fees on those. I take it if you ship a vehicle it has to be completely empty if you want to avoid that scenario. Maybe someone else will speak up who has done it recently.

#32 cdg85705

cdg85705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

Hello Tina
Can you please tell me what paper work you needed? I know you need the title translated. But what other paperwork.
As far as customs brokers I called the New York consulate they said you do not need a broker. Are you sure about that? I would think if you drove it across a boarder or drove it through customs it would be the same thing,and that is what New York consulate says.
Who are you using as a broker?
Any detailed info would be appreciated.

Ron

#33 cdg85705

cdg85705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

Hi, Ron...email me at cdg85705@aol.com to discuss. There are some issues that I do not want to discuss publicly like "names". I have the vehicle here now

Tina

#34 cdg85705

cdg85705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

I paid a lot more than $500 pesos. I am not sure what the breakdown really is as I asked for the factura many times from the customs broker in english and spanish. I had to pay the fees to get my vehicle so I just did it. If I ever do this again, which I would, forget that the customs broker is providing a service....they know you want your vehicle.........but you are free not to recommend them to anyone!

Tina

#35 Xuxan

Xuxan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Golfing; scuba diving -- enjoy capturing the dives on video and stitch it into film; horseback riding; makes my day when I discovered good restaurants that served good food at a good price; loves spicy food; enjoys cooking (when in the mood!); travel.

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

Can't decide about bringing my car to Mexico or buying a car. Decisions Decisions. Maybe I will flip a coin.

To bring one it is not easy and you need to get it out of the country if and when you get your fm2 and the five years runs out on the fm2. that is 10 yrs from now. By then it will most likely not be running.

Ron

We just moved to Cozumel full-time in March (actually, my husband did, and I arrived shortly afterwards in the beginning of April). So to bring a car or buy one in Mexico was a consideration we went over many, many times.

From the Mexican side:
* Unless we are Mexcian citizens, we cannot get a Mexican plate for our car
* Mexican cannot buy a non-Mexican plated car
Problem: We cannot sell our car to Mexican
* Mexican is not allowed to sell a Mexican-plated car to foreigners

Our perspectives are from the State of Florida only:
* If our plates expired and we failed to turn our plates in, our drivers' licenses will be suspended
Problem: Tags for our plates (or mail in general) will not be forwarded to us by the US Post Office after 6mons- to a year
* If we failed to keep our car insurance current, our license will be suspended
Problem: Since we will be living full-time in Mexico, paying for US insurance (that does not cover Mexico) does not make sense
* To renew our driver's license, Florida requires that the driver shows up in person
Problem: Proof of current US address will be a problem
* We cannot take our car back to the US to trade it in with an expired license plate / driver's license, and no insurance

* Although car inspection is not required by Florida to renew your car insurance / license / plates, that is just another problem for States that have that requirement.

Of course if we chose to buy a new car from a car Dealer in Mexico, a Mexica plate will come with it. But we paying a 10yr regressive sales tax is just too expensive.

In the end, we drove our car to Cozumel. But before we did that, we contacted the Clay County Motor Vehicle Department in South Dakota and changed our Florida plates to state's. The reason why we did that is because it seems that in the entire 50 States and counties, Clay is the only County that to issue plates for your car, they do not require:

* Proof of US auto insurance is required
* Current US address
* The driver shows up in person
* Car inspection

It's all legal. If our car has seen it's time, as long as we have valid plate for our car and driver's license (we have Mexican driver's license), we do have the option to take our car back into the State (with short-term US insurance); and dispose of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users