Reasonable cost of living

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Xuxan

Xuxan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Golfing; scuba diving -- enjoy capturing the dives on video and stitch it into film; horseback riding; makes my day when I discovered good restaurants that served good food at a good price; loves spicy food; enjoys cooking (when in the mood!); travel.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

It's expensive to import stuff. Better to wait until you decide if you want to move here, get your FM3 visa and then you can import anything you want one time only under a menaje de casa. Bring down as much as you possibly can with you on the plane even if you have to pay for extra bags. Bikes you can get here. Prolly no on the espresso machine although ya nevah know these days. Guitar you could bring although there is a shop that sells good ones (expensively) right downtown. Electronics are much more expensive here still although prices are going down a bit. I had to pay a gasping $12,000 pesos for a 42" LG brand LCD television, for example, and I'm seeing similar in the states for nearly half the price. Stereos and speakers quite a bit more expensive.
massage tables I would wait on.

You are correct that it is generally more mellow and laid back here on the island. However, there will be some adjustments to make. Like the differing sense of time can be charming when you're sitting on the beach waiting for your beer and quite something else when the painter promises to arrive at noon and still hasn't come three days later. Then shows up at a very inconvenient time.

We have a carpenter that I am ready to weight him down with a millstone and throw him overboard. What was 'promised' to be a 2-weeks job is now going on pass 5 weeks. It was so bad that I have remind him that his words is his honor, we pay on time, he dilvers on time.

Good thing we have another worker (a real life saver) who does everything (except electrical and plumbing) and shows up everyday; the work he does is just unbelievable! Keep his phone number, you'd never know if you needs it (987-111-3655). Cheers!

#22 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

I guess I should clarify a post I made earlier in another thread. I DID have a list of each numbered box and the category of what was in it. It just wasn't a highly detailed list of every item in the box. My mover had no problems at all. And, yes, new things are taxed. I only had backsplash tile that I declared as new, though.

Nice post with good info Xuxan.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#23 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:46 PM

I just want to thank all who have responded with all of the very very helpful information I've received on this board. It's an absolute godsend. I have some more specific questions. I'm into music and have already let my band know that I may be leaving. Is there a music scene down there? I'm not a touring professional or anything but love music and need it in my life. I have guitars, a keyboard, harmonicas (none of which I know how to play) but I need to sing. I'm sure there are local folk who sing there but I have no idea how to hook up with them. Also, a question for the entrepreneurs out there, is it possible to start a small business? Nothing booming just something to keep my mind sharp. I know it's supposed to be retirement and I'm supposed to be retired but I just know me and I'm going to want some kind of "work" to focus on.

#24 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

A small business? Doubtful. Please search past posts regarding all the problems and issues of starting a business on the island. I suggest many forms of volunteerism to keep your mind sharp.
You will find musicians on the island..in restaurants and on the plaza...ask them about other music makers. Go to Especias Restaurant on Thurs., Fri. or Sat. and talk to Abraham and Adrian.

#25 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

There are quite a few foreigners who have set up sucsessful businesses on the island. That's the only kind of work a foreigner can do here aside from jewelry and timeshare sales -- put your own money into your own business. And you will have to jump through a lot of hoops to do it. But it can be done and you could succeed if you find the right niche for yourself. Study the market for a couple of years of living here and something may occur to you if you have the capital to finance the start up.

#26 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for the reality check and words of encouragement. I'm not in a huge rush to start a business because I fear going hungry or anything and I've had businesses here in the states and I'm willing to do all of the paperwork and jump through hoops to make it happen. I have read on this board everything from folks wanting to move there families down there and make a living to folks who've owned property for 30 years and are waiting to retire and make the big move. One of my biggest (pre)concerns at this point is getting my dogs down. I have learned that I need to be prepared to have the Frontline/hearworm meds on hand when going in and find an airline that ships the dogs as luggage. I also learned that my vet can prescribe some doggie valium for the one that is big and needs to travel with luggage. I'm kind of concerned about her going on the belt as luggage but that's premature since I haven't even started my trial residence yet.

I have a question about the 6 month thing on new items. By the time we move (assuming we will) everything we take will be over 6 months old. Do the powers that be need receipts or is it reasonable to just list the items and approximate date of purchase? We just moved our TV and surround to the master bedroom and bought a new system for the living room. (Carey, I saw your post on the price of your TV and almost fell over, we bought a 46" TV with internet capability, 3D, etc. for $1300 a couple of weeks ago). Do they need receipts for older laptops, tvs, espresso machines, and other things or will they take the paperwork at face value?

Carey, I posted the music thing hoping that you would step forward as a singer. I saw in your profile that you like to sing. Do you ever sing with other people? I am more of a performer than a musician but love to write lyrics and I have some tracks that I am working on and recording. I'm not talking about getting gigs or anything just making music.

#27 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

Re your big dog, I think I would consider shipping him Continental QuikPak into Cancun on the plane with you. The quickpak service if they still have it was excellent. They don't send the kennel down any conveyer belt. It's loaded last and unloaded first and goes to an AC'd office where you can go yourself and then let the dog out if you need to. It's expensive but worth it. But the reason I say consider coming into Cancun is that last I knew, the aduana/customs brokers on Cozumel were charging extremely exhorbitant fees to broker cargo pets. I don't know if this is happening in Cancun as well but its worth checking on.

You don't need receipts on anything used. All of us who live here routinely purchase things in the states, take them out of their packaging and scuff them up slightly if necessary. That's for the airlines. No receipts are needed for used stuff.

And, yes, I love to sing and no I haven't found anyone else interested. But then I haven't tried very hard either. I have a yamaha electric keyboard and even got the equipment to set up a small home studio just for fun. But I haven't gotten to it as yet.

#28 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:52 AM

I've been reading about different options for shipping my dog and my dog trainer suggested we have my dog certified as a service dog so that she can travel with me in the plane. The Yorkie isn't a problem because we can just buy her a ticket and keep her under the seat in front of us. We would possibly buy 3 seats on the plane so no one else would have to be in our row. My dog is VERY well behaved but has never flown before. Everyone I have talked to about this thinks it's a great idea but I'd like some input from folks that may have taken this route. I have bad knees so she could be a stability dog. If that doesn't work out I will continue looking into the Continental option etc.

#29 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:12 PM

Please see my post in the "Local Talk" section. Continental has changed their rules for transporting larger pets and it's not something they post on their website. If you don't know about these new requirements, you might end up not being able to ship your dog down. If you are already a faithful Continental flyer and are member of their ONEPASS progam, then you are ok.

#30 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

Please see my post in the "Local Talk" section. Continental has changed their rules for transporting larger pets and it's not something they post on their website. If you don't know about these new requirements, you might end up not being able to ship your dog down. If you are already a faithful Continental flyer and are member of their ONEPASS progam, then you are ok.

#31 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 02:15 PM

PS The 3 different people I spoke with today about shipping pets as cargo/quikpak/luggage told me that they handle all the baggage area animals the same and Quikpak is just a fancy way to say pet cargo. They also told me that any pet found to have been drugged prior to flying would be refused.

#32 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

Well, it's been 10 years since I shipped my dogs down here Quik Pak. But I can tell you that at the time at any rate, the Quik Pak animals were given special consideration. Because I watched the whole way. They are personally taken out to the cargo bay by a seperate vehicle and loaded on last. They are unloaded first and I was able to see my pups in the air conditioned continental freight office during the 3 hour layover in Houston. They did not come down the oversize conveyer belt as the rest of my luggage did, for example.

Maybe that's changed but anyone shipping a pet, obviously, needs to check. I'd call the live animal desk at the Houston airport and talk to someone on the ground there about how the quikpak pets are handled. They'll give you the straight skinny. Also call the live animal desk of the airport from which you are departing.

As to the service animal idea, I think you might be able to make that work. There's an online site that will issue certification for emotional support animals and even has a psychologist there on call so the airlines can check the veracity of your claim and documentation. Search for emotional support animal certification and you should turn it up.

#33 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

I have been searching this board and have found conflicting info on water for brushing our teeth, washing veggies, etc. I read somewhere about what we'd need to purchase for soaking the fruit/veggies but can't for the life of me find that thread now. I also remember reading to bring some from the states as the stores down there sell a version that isn't so good. Do I need this stuff? Is there a brand that is preferred? I'm making an Amazon.com purchase and can tack that on if I know what to look for. Also, is it possible to get things shipped to the island or is that risky business? If mail/delivery service is risky I'll just set up a plan here in the states to pick my stuff up on my visits. Thanks!

#34 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:54 PM

For the first few days or weeks I would suggest using bottled water to brush your teeth.
Once you are settled your system can get used to the tap water. We have lived here 4 years now
and have had no issues. It all depends where you are staying on the island?
I.E. Palmar condos have their own water purification systems, so the water in the tap is
clean & safe...even the pool has purified water!
We wash all our veggies, fruit etc in bottled water and have had no problems.
You can buy an item near the veggies at Chedraui or Mega which you can put a few drops
into your cleaning water.
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#35 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

I have a sensitive digestive system and have had giardia once and e. histolytica parasites twice. All on occasions when, for whatever reason, I neglected to follow strict rules re water.

The vegetable purifier drops sold here as well as at places like Sam's Club in the states and in Mexico use silver collodial as their cleaning ingredient. It has been proven it doesn't work but they are still selling it. I have been bringing down drops I buy from a place that sells trailer supplies that is used to purify water tanks in trailers. But I am about to decide that if you wash your produce carefully and let it get thoroughly dry before peeling and otherwise using it raw, you should be fine. If you're really paranoid, soap it.

I think that might be enough. However, I wouldn't extend that to lettuce because it is so difficult to dry. For that I still use the drops.

I strongly advise people not brush their teeth with the tap water and many doctors on the island feel the same way. I also advise not opening your mouth in the shower. Goes without saying not to drink tap water.

I also have my doubts about filtered water from the various hotels and developents, frankly. The filters need to be changed and maintained with great frequency if they are to function properly. I've never stayed in a hotel on the mainland where the AC filters in the room had been cleaned within what looked like the last two years. Mileage on that will vary at the fancier hotels on the island, I'm sure. But maybe not. Trust but verify would be my advice on that.

It isn't fun to get one of these parasites and the tap water still isn't totally there. I wouldn't trust it. And don't buy water from the El Cenote purified water trucks either.

I'm sure I'll get all kinds of flack from people who have been doing otherwise for years with nary a problem. But as I said, I must have a sensitive track because if I'm not very careful, I pick up a bug just like that.

#36 AudreyroseCool

AudreyroseCool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:26 PM

Hi: I am planning to move there in August with 2 cats and 1 dog and a friend. I was there this month but you may know that hurricane season is July/August/September/October so dont think you'll be running around on a moped. Also not safe to go swimming during that period due to viruses in the water. Maybe rental first and then lease/option might be a good idea. I know you wont want to pay vacation rates and having animals presents some problems. Best to check out the rentals first to see who will take animals. Keep in touch. AudreyroseCool
audreyrose2011@hotmail.com

#37 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:56 AM

Virus in the water during hurricane season? What's up with that?

Cozumel Diving

#38 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

No running around on a moped during hurricane season? What's up with that? DURING a hurricane I can understand. When there's not a hurricane hitting us, what's the difference from any other month?

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#39 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:16 AM

Is it during hurricane season that the pigs swim over from the mainland and bring that flu thing.....Posted Image And then they rent all the mopeds......Posted Image Or is that Chincoteague? I get those confused....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#40 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:36 AM

ROFLMAO ...last post was awesome! Virus in our water...Gawd do not let the media get hold of that one!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users