Reasonable cost of living

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the early morning laugh all of you! I am very relieved that there are not viruses in the water during hurricaine season.

#42 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

Ok, digging a little deeper now and I have 2 quesitons:

1. What is the best car insurance to purchase down there? Also, should I get full coverage or just liability? I have sold 2 of my vehicles this month and am keeping an 01 Mustang and the full coverage is very affordable but is it a huge hassle to get a claim filed in the event I need one? Is it worth it to get the full coverage on my car?

2. Would it be better to fly my dogs down if I decide to move or take them with me in the car when I drive it down? I have no idea what is involved in taking dogs across the border.

#43 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

I would drive my pets as long as you are driving anyway. It's easy. Just have their vet paperwork with you. I think they have to have been examined within a week of your departure and have up to date shots. Be sure to have your name and a contact number on their collars.

#44 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:14 AM

I would also drive if you're coming with a car anyway. There are plenty of places along the way that will accept pets and that's something to research here and elsewhere on the internet before leaving.

Pets must have a health letter from a US vet with immunization papers attached. The one they care the most about is rabies which must have been adminstered within ONE YEAR of travel. Doesn't matter if they got a 3 year booster two years ago. Must list that it was given within the year. Best if the vet takes the actual stickers off the rabies serum bottles and affixes them to the immunization records. Health letter should also specifically mention that the pets are being treated for both internal and external parasites and the names Frontline and Heartgard should be specifically mentioned in print.

Rabies shots are required yearly in Mexico. They don't recognize or accept the 3 year booster shots so common in the US now.

#45 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

Ok, more vehicle questions. I just sold 2 cars and have left an older (2001) mustang convertible. I think it would be nice to have that car on the island but am not sure about the utility of it. It's a little bit low to the ground and in pretty good shape, I figure I won't be going "exploring" too much off road and can rent a car on the island if I need to do that. I plan to snorkel often but don't know how the roads are. Would it be wise to sell that car and buy a cheaper convertible or is it more of a necessity to have a truck/jeep or other vehicle that is more "durable". I hope all of you aren't getting sick of my incessant questions here. :- )

#46 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

My only concern with a low-riding car are the huge speedbumps that are so prevalent on the island -- I would call them speed mountains in many cases. Most are wide enough at the top to hold a small car, so if you're driving a car that's low to the ground or longer than a small compact car, I found that you have to drive over them diagonally, or you'll bottom out going across them.

#47 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:36 PM

You are going to get sunburned in a convertible. Top down leaves the interior more prone to theft + wear and tear. Sudden showers in different parts of the island happen regularly. The novelty will wear off quickly.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#48 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

I wouldn't mind running around in a Pony car, but the top would be up more then down for all the reasons mentioned.

The other issue is having repairs made. Getting parts for foreign cars may not be easy at all.

We brought down our Toyota truck down from the states. Even thought the parts we needed where made in Mexico, we could not get them here because they where for EXPORT only.

We had to FedX parts in here (about $75 bucks a pop just for shipping, and a number of parts where ordered)and it took over 18 months to figure out everything they (the mechanics) through the problem was.

The mechanics did try so hard to figure out what the problem was, but without diagnostic tools like in North America it is timely, and costly.

In our case they thought it was the transmission which they torn down twice. A number of major parts replaced, still didn't work. It turned out to be the speedometer cable that was causing the problem.

The only "off road" is on the east side, up the sand road, and you really do need a 4X4 to do that.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#49 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:54 PM

Ok, we don't plan on driving around all the time and the car is mechanically sound and has had excellent maintenance so I think it might be better to keep this one rather than sell it and buy a used car that we don't know the history on. About theft. I know that ragtops are more vulnerable but should that be a huge concern for me if I have the top up and the car locked when I use it? I usually have the top up here in So Cal where I currently live but it's nice to have the option. I was looking at Jeeps but I don't want to get a new vehicle and you just never know with a used car. I think that if I drive very carefully, get the car totally checked out by the mechanic before I come, and ride our bikes to most of the places we go my only big worry is the rag top theft issue. That car is vulnerable wherever it is for that reason I just don't want to invite that if it's more prevalent there than it is here. I'd hate to get the car there to have the top cut and the stereo gone.

#50 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

The last time I was on the island it was hurricane season. I saw a funnel coming into shore. Out of the funnel came a gang of flying pigs on mopeds. But wait something was not right They were all sneezing. When the mopeds landed and came to a stop I asked this wild gang of pigs what was wrong. Swine Flu they answered. We get it every hurricane season. I just shook my head and kept on going.

Ron

#51 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:49 PM

I have 2 bikes, a mountain bike with shocks and wide tires and a road bike with skinny tires and pedals that I clip into. My mind says to go with the fat tires but my partner says that triathlons are held there which makes me question this. I will be biking most of the time. To the grocery store and around town mostly but also (hopefully) to snorkel areas. Any words of wisdom?

#52 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:36 PM

Either one will be just fine.

#53 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:04 PM

I have 2 bikes, a mountain bike with shocks and wide tires and a road bike with skinny tires and pedals that I clip into. My mind says to go with the fat tires but my partner says that triathlons are held there which makes me question this. I will be biking most of the time. To the grocery store and around town mostly but also (hopefully) to snorkel areas. Any words of wisdom?

if you have clipless pedals on your road bike and like to really USE it as such, definitely bring it. our ironman bike portion is considered one of the hardest on the IM circuit due to the incredible winds on the other side. there is a pretty active cycling group plus a tri group here on the island, so you can find people to ride with.
my store, which was primarily fishing, has expanded to triathlon clothing and gear, including tires and tubes (700x18-23), CO2, compression socks, etc. the other bike stores do NOT carry road bike specific gear. i am pretty much it. we are located a block and a half behind mega on 11, in front of the gym EGO.
bring both bikes. the mountain bike will be great for getting around town. the road bike for loops around the island and the north end.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#54 cdg85705

cdg85705

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

Don't expect the same Mexican food. Menudo and tamales are not the same. They use banana leaves and not the corn husks. And the masa is very different. The beans are black beans and not the pintos. The frontera food is much different than here. I don't think I have ever seen a "chimichanga" on any menus here...could be..anyone seen one? Los Otates? It would be best to rent first and see if this is the paradise you want. I came here to retire for the lifestyle and the diving. My hometown is only 60 miles from the border so I have lived in the Mexican community all my life....

#55 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:16 AM

Greeting Cozzies! We're busily planning our trip and reaserching points of interest on the island. Can someone please give me the location of Zocalo? I have been obsessed with Google earth and now feel like I live there since I'm on there many hours each day learning the whereabouts of the places I plan to be frequenting. I have another question as well. Where do all of you hide? Do you wear anything that will distinguish you like, perhaps, iguana buttons? Maybe it would be best to be out and about on a Sunday afternoon and keep my eyes open. I'd love to have coffee with some of the local expats during my stay (my treat) and learn more about you and your life there. We will be arriving on Thursday and, barring unforeseen circumstances, will be returning for residence early next year. I have combed this board and picked up supplies like shower gel, Motrin, tums, snorkel gear, sponges, etc. Anything that is absolutely CRUCIAL that I might want to bring? I have also been watching the weather and am prepared for it to rain most of the time. I'm so excited I can barely contain myself.

#56 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

Zocalo (accent over the 'o') is the downtown plaza that's right across from the passenger ferry pier. There's a gazebo and clock tower there. Sound familiar?

Attending charity events is often a good way to meet locals. Watch for those as they tend to bring together people who normally hang out in their own cliques. The Humane Society fund raisers are a good example. Cruz Roja also. And there are others.

Some bars like the French Quarter and Wet Wendy's seem to have a fair number of ex pats hanging out there so that might be worth a shot.

The best thing you can do for meeting people is to start working your head off to learn Spanish. It will expand your circle of friends immensely and also be very useful in your day to day life if you live here. If you want to live in a community of U. S ex pats, Cozumel isn't really the place for that. You'd be better off in Guadalajara. Or even Merida which actually has an English library. We don't have doodley like that here.

#57 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

Thanks Carey, I was mostly talking about all of you. If I wanted to live with a bunch of Americans I do that now lol. Actually my area is primarily Hispanic and I have fallen in love with their family oriented culture, their ability to relax and their priorities which seem to be working just enough to be able to get home and relax and enjoy their lives. I know a very small amount of Spanish but was fluent as a small child and I speak a fair amount of French and the romance languages have a lot of similarities. I think I'll pick up the language fairly quickly. This board has been a godsend for me and I have gotten a seemingly endless amount of useful information as well as a lot of laughs.

#58 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, but I suggest you put buying a local cell phone on your list. I bought a sweet little uncomplicated Nokia phone with Telcel service in Coz in 2008 for around $30. Very very handy to have to make calls and - just as important - for local people to call you. A good way to keep in touch with your new friends. The phone also has a currency converter, calculator and a timer/alarm - things I use. There is no plan, it is a pay as you go phone.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#59 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:04 PM

The phone is a good idea. My only problem is that my "pesos" expire before I use them up. Yes, I can do the recarga thing and reactivate them, but those pesos are piling up! LOL

Another place to meet people is at The Money Bar on Friday nights. There are a ton of people who love listening to the Red Eye Band and dancing. Good food, good music. Yes, there are little cliques, but all are friendly. I've just walked over to people I know to introduce myself. Just don't be shy... you'll find us.

Kandy

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#60 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

Thanks so much Kandy. I feel like I'm socially retarded but, hey, it's a chance to get out there. Ya don't get to be shy AND expect to meet people. We'll be sure to go there and check it out. Music is always good! I'm going to be leaving my band if we decide to move there so I'll definitely be searching out the musical hot spots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users