You should also frequent La Hach.

#62 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:54 AM

You definitely sound like you'll enjoy it here.

The English as My Only Language crowd here isn't very large. And I'll have to say, choose your friends slowly and wisely. There are ex pats here that I cross the street if I see them coming. This pirate island attracts more than its share of people who are running from some behavior that wasn't, shall we say, well tolerated in the states. There have been more than a few outright criminals with outstanding warrants in the states. (In fact all the swindling seems to be U.S. expats ripping US citizens and then running like hell when they finally get caught)

And there are others with reprehensible enough behavior that you couldn't pay me enough to sit down to dinner with them.

Characters from a Graham Green novel some of them. Fun to read about. Not so fun if you accidentally invite them into your life.

#63 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

Gee. Makes me wonder what folks think of US. I would say that when anybody moves to a new place...no matter where it is...they choose friends like they would any where else. I think most people know how to make friends properly.

#64 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

I am speaking of pedofiles, pimps and swindlers. Do you fit into that category?

#65 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:37 PM

Carey...I have no idea why you live where you do.

#66 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:03 PM

Just don't have a clue, eh?

#67 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

Ok, so we flew in yesterday afternoon, arrived at our condo, got our computers online today, and got a local cell phone. We went shopping at Mega and Chedraui and I have to admit that every time I saw someone who was clearly either an expat living here or a long term vacationer I thought of all of you and how kind you have been with all of your helpful advice. As we pushed our cart around I got many "who are they" looks and was oh-so tempted to approach but what are the odds? The language barrier will be a problem but I will get it sooner rather than later. We have met some amazing folks who live here already and are looking forward to running into some of you over the coming weeks. We were unable to bring our bikes due to space issues with our airport ride and inquired about renting them but saw them for around $789 at Mega. Is there anyone out there that has bikes that they don't ride when it's so hot that would be willing to rent them to use until mid-August? We found one person that would rent 2 bikes, helmets and locks to us for the duration for $100USD but they were totally crappy so we figured we'd just buy a couple even if we have to deal with what to do with them when we leave. Ideas? Suggestions?

#68 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:06 PM

For what's it worth...you will have many acquaintance here.

Not sure if you check Sombrero bike rental, but here's the contact info. http://www.sombreror...com/?page_id=34

As to what to do with the bikes once you leave, if you purchase. There a a number of organizations here that are ready, willing and able to help you.

I found two organizations that where exactly what I was looking for. Helped children, and helped battered women (look through the archives here, you will find info).

I had made a huge mistake a few years ago when I donated a girls bike. I had posted that I had a bike, I was contacted by a poster (who still frequents this site) and was told that she had a young girl who NEEDED the bike to get to school.

I said, I thought that was great, but that the bike MUST go to that girl, and that girl alone for her use.

Needless to say, the women did NOT give the bike to the girl. SHE decided to give the bike to the girls father...

So, choose whom you donate to with recommendations from this site...Decide whom you want to benefit from your generosity.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#69 kathy_paamul

kathy_paamul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

You definitely sound like you'll enjoy it here.

The English as My Only Language crowd here isn't very large. And I'll have to say, choose your friends slowly and wisely. There are ex pats here that I cross the street if I see them coming. This pirate island attracts more than its share of people who are running from some behavior that wasn't, shall we say, well tolerated in the states. There have been more than a few outright criminals with outstanding warrants in the states. (In fact all the swindling seems to be U.S. expats ripping US citizens and then running like hell when they finally get caught)

And there are others with reprehensible enough behavior that you couldn't pay me enough to sit down to dinner with them.

Characters from a Graham Green novel some of them. Fun to read about. Not so fun if you accidentally invite them into your life.

WRT making friends here, Carey is DEAD on - at least over here on the mainland. We've been living in Quintana Roo since 2007 and in Mexico since 2004 and we are VERY SLOW to make even acquaintances here. Well, with 4 kids we're busy, but we've already had a pedophile, murderer and (different one) murderer (who murdered his wife Right Here) as neighbors.

#70 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the wise words on precautionary measures. We've made some friends and are meeting more people though those friends. Definitely "small town" here with the expats. Not used to it any more but as I have nothing to hide it will only be an adjustment then all will be fine. We have decided to lease a house for 1 year starting in February of next year. We are going to drive back at that time with a trailer to bring some of our things. Funny thing is, before we left we have a VERY long list of things we'd need here and that list has shortened considerably during our stay. All of the "things" that I thought I needed turned out not to be necessities lol. We'll be leaving mid August. Again, I can't thank all of you enough for all of the help and support (and patience) you've given. I'm sure you will be inundated with questions during the coming months as we prepare for our return. Be well everyone!

#71 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:23 PM

So, after enlightening myself with the last few posts...

My wife and I are both military brats who grew up overseas so we spent our early lives around expats. There are many reasons people live the expat life, most of them great, harmless, or even honorable. Carey's point is really well-taken, though. Some people live outside their home countries because they can't fit in with their native culture, can't follow the laws of their home countries, or because they can't return without being arrested. There's no easy way to tell if someone you're meeting is one of those expats or someone who fell in love with someone and followed them home, a researcher, artist or teacher whose career takes them abroad, or just a lover of great tacos.

My recommendation is to accept friendships at face value but when I ask you to lend me money not to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users