• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me with this, but never hurts to ask. I finally have my ceramic art studio set up, and I'm in need of supplies. Specifically, raw clay. Either already mixed, or powder. Anyone have an idea of where I can get my hands on some? Thanks!

#2 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

Congratulations getting your studio set up. I am a ceramic artist too and plan on retiring on the island someday and would like to do the same. I have a friend on the island who has a clay studio and she has her clay shipped down from the US. She tried to find a source on the mainland to purchase from but didn't have any luck. I sure hope someone else chimes in and provides a source for you cuz it's mighty pricey to have clay and glaze shipped. I have brought glaze down to her in the past as well, but that was before baggage retrictions were so tight. Good luck on your quest!!! I'll be watching this post with interest.

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

I find it hard to believe that clay cannot be purchased elsewhere in Mexico and shipped to you on Cozumel. Find the Mexican word for the items you're looking for and start plugging them into google. Try mercadolibre.com I've ordered water lilies, a dehumidifier and an exercise bike here in Mexico and over the internet.

Mexico merchants haven't caught up with online marketing yet but there are some out there. The way it generally works is you consult with them by email and it will usually have to be in spanish so get yourself a good translator program like wordmagic. Once you contract to buy and get the price, the company sends you their bank info and you go to a local branch and deposit cash into their account. Then they ship to you usually via Estafeta.

#4 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

I've done a bunch of internet related searches for supplies/suppliers, to no avail. I've asked at the pottery/talavera places where their stuff is sourced from, and the usual answer is not Cozumel/Q. Roo/Yucatan...

My search has just started, and I was hoping for a few leads from people that have been here awhile, that perhaps know local artisans... I'll keep asking around for my "mud" and I'll keep y'all posted.

#5 ScubaJim

ScubaJim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

Not sure if anyone will be able to help me with this, but never hurts to ask. I finally have my ceramic art studio set up, and I'm in need of supplies. Specifically, raw clay. Either already mixed, or powder. Anyone have an idea of where I can get my hands on some? Thanks!

Check out: Cancun Papeleria 2000 it's about 2 blocks from the downtown bus terminal. They have 3 floors of most anything needed in arts & craft supplies.
One of the pages on their website shows blocks of different colors of clay, just not a lot of details on items.

The next best bet would be to check Merida's websites.

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

Shipping by truck from Merida is pretty durn cheap especially when you consider what it would cost to import the same items. I had 20 boxes of tile shipped from Merida awhile back. Ordered it over the internet after seeing what I wanted in their store on a trip to Merida and getting their contact information. Invoice via email. Took the pesos to their bank and deposited them in their account and about 5 days later, a truck rolled in. The tile people arranged transport.

Truck transport from just about anywhere in Mexico to Playa is way cheaper than in the US in my experience. Typically the cost of getting the truck over on the ferry and back doubles the price it would cost to have it shipped only to the mainland coast.

#7 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

Erin,
I will contact my ceramic friend and see if she has since found a more local source for her clay instead of shipping from the US. Out of interest, what clay body are you looking for? With all the seaweed available you could really do some great pit or barrel firing if you have a yard.

#8 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:48 PM

That would be great Artgirl. I'm open to any type of clay. I do mostly slab construction, and hand building, so something with at least a medium body would be ideal, but I'm adaptable, and beggars can't be choosers :) I actually have my little electric kiln all ready to go, but I'm kind of a pyro so may end up digging some holes (which I'm sure the hubby will love). :)

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

Have fun digging that hole. I'm a hole digger from way back. Dug a root cellar in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Dug many a post hole. But let me tell you that red clay was nothing to the karst we have here. Thin veneer of soil in places where plenty of vegetation has rotted over time. Underneath, dead coral rock you have to blast with a pick axe or iron bar. That's why swimming pools cost so much to build and why so many of them here are very shallow.

#10 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

I say make your own ;o) It's alot cheaper, you can sell the end product for less$ while at the same time making more pieces and $. The ingredients are from US based companies, thats the only issue. As others have stated its just crazy that you cannot find a raw material or clay supplier at least over on the mainland. BTW a Raku beach firing at night would sure be one way to get people to notice your work...kinda like the guys in the square who light up the spray paint to 'dry' the pieces, just that your flames would be a few feet taller lol. All just part of the show! Step right up and buy your original piece right here on the beach ;o)

G-200 Feldspar
C-1 Marblemix
A. P. Green Missouri Fireclay
H.C. Spinks #5
Ione Grog (35 mesh)

~Ceramics Monthly Feb. 2000 issue
Article on Blair Meerfeld by Marty Mitchell

Wish you the best of luck in your search.

mikes

#11 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

Erin,
Still waiting to receive an email reply from my friend. It would be awesome to raku on the beach.. or pit fire there, but considering the police won't allow anyone to even have a small flame to roast marshmellows over, I think they'd haul your tookas off to jail if they saw the blaze a raku fire would cause; or a stiff fine at the very least. It's fun to dream though. I'm jealous Erin is embarking on creating ceramic art in paradise!!!! PEA GREEN GIRL!!!!

#12 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

Not making anything yet :)

I find my little electric kiln the best way to get the results I want. And the police will never know ;)

My scavenger hunt continues... As for making my own clay - sounds like more ingredients that aren't readily available/easily attainable. And this is just a hobby, not a business venture :)

#13 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:58 AM

Man that must be a small kiln or your electric bill is going to be out of control. What kind of kiln do you have? Do you fire it alot? How does the clay ever dry out down there with all of that humidity? I am firing my Skutt km-1027 right now and it takes about 6/7 hours to reach cone 06. CFE would love me to hook this kiln up down there. Have you gotten a CFE Bill yet? What kind of work are you doing? Hand building, slumping, wheel, production pieces?

Hahah so many questions I know, cool that another artist is on the board!

Mikes

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:20 AM

Yes, this is an interesting thread, I agree. Have you tried contacting Greg Dietrich of Galleria Azul? He's a Seattle artist who works with glass among other things. I'll bet he would have some leads for you also and could at least give you the name of another professional artist or two that works with ceramics since he also manages a gallery of local artists. Finally it wouldn't hurt to try the owners of that tiny shop about 30 ft south of Kintas on the east side of Ave 5. For one thing, you'll want to see the pottery he has on display and for sale here. It's lovely and unusual. For another since it looks like he goes to this small village himself and brings the works back for his store, he may possibly be able to give you some insight on whether they happen to ship and sell clay from this area as well.

Spread your net wide in your search. Mexico is a big country and they make a heck of a lot of pottery.Plus, as I said, shipping by truck within Mexico is surprisingly inexpensive and you won't pay import taxes and aduana fees (typically minimum $2000 or so pesos for looking at a single consolidated order).

#15 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

Erin,
I have a clay source for you that operates out of Mexico City. My ceramic friend that lives on the island is looking the number and name up this afternoon and going to get it to me sometime today or tonight (she has a toddler son and is very busy). She isn't part of this board, and I'm sorry it's taken so long to get this info to you, but being the middle person, I guess being patient is the key to passing things along this way. At least you won't have to worry about shipping from the US huh?

#16 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

That is great news! I also contacted the Cancun Papeleria that was mentioned in this thread, and it seems they have some as well. Although, it seemed kind of expensive (68 MX/kilo), and I'm also not sure if it is already mixed, or polvo (I forgot to ask).

Things are looking up. Thanks for being the middle (wo)man. Patience is something that I have an abundance of :)

#17 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

Sorry Erin,
Still waiting on the info. from my friend, maybe she has lost the info. She said she hasn't produced in 3 years because of the baby/toddler. She said she would be willing to sell you what she has leftover though. Let me know if you are interested in that.
In the meantime, I found a showroom in the US (Clay Arts Artesanal) that features ceramic work from the town of Delores Hildago, Mexico (Talavera ware). The man I spoke with in the US said it shouldn't be a problem ordering clay from the factory there and having it shipped to you. He said he would call me back with info about setting this up, but it would probably be better if you made direct contact. Here is the number in the states to call to work it out: 888 836 8588

#18 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

No worries. I'd love to be introduced to your friend here, and buy any of her unwanted supplies. You can pass along my email, erinannpitt@hotmail.com, or send me hers, either way.

Also, thanks for the number for the clay factory, I'll give them a call early next week to see what they can do.

Thank you so much for helping me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users