• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 cmex

cmex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:06 AM

Sams club construction in Cozumel is horror, people wich are living there can not sleep since the beginning of the construction, contuctors let there trucks running the whole night, concrete trucks passing av.85 every 30min, noices from thrills and hammers are hearable from 7:00am to late at night, the Sams club construction is producing so much dust that people leaving their houses to live somewhere else. Workers are hanging out every day drinking beer and laying on the streets to rest.Two people are death by an accident last week.
The Sams club and Office depot in Cozumel is an unnecessary construction and will coast a lot peoples income in the next month ,it will destroy the economy of small abarotes in town.
The story that the houses wich are in this aerea will gain the prices for selling is a lie, because it will never stop having loading and unloading trucks at night in the av 85.
The land of Sams club wich was a beautiful 4 hectar jungle aerea with sweet water cenotes is completly destroyed.
I will never go to Sams Club or Office Depot. There are other people they need my money more.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

What a horrible situation! All who live nearby have my sympathy. Lo siento!! especialmente el sonido y el polvo! terrible!

But I think the Sam's will not destroy the abarrotes. Because people will continue to buy small things they need right away where it is convenient. That is what I believe and I hope I am correct.

This will be big pricing competition for Mega, Chedraui and Copple, however. So maybe prices will get a little better for everyone at these other stores -- especially on things like appliances and electronics--things the abarrotes do not sell, of course.

#3 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

I once read that the Director of Ecology on the island is responsible for noise pollution. Maybe worth checking with him about it.
I have not read anything about the deaths at the site.

#4 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

people wich are living there can not sleep since the beginning of the construction, contuctors let there trucks running the whole night, concrete trucks passing av.85 every 30min, noices from thrills and hammers are hearable from 7:00am to late at night"

Welcome to Cozumel. Anyone who owns a house here has probably been through the same thing many times. I know we spent 8 years with construction going on around us full time. It can be nerve wracking but that is just the way it is here and everywhere else for that matter.

As far as Sam's: We need it. Maybe the people who live near it are not happy, but everybody else is looking forward to it's opening.

Per the small guy getting pushed out: that is called progress. When I moved here a bottle of Jack Daniels cost over $50USD. At Covi, with my discount, I pay less than $25USD. Does anybody really feel like paying double so the "little guy" can keep overcharging us. There are many things that Sam will have that are not available here. Most people are tired of having to spend a day travelling just to make a few purchases.

Sams will also provide a much higher quality work environment than is the norm on the island. When Sam's opened in PDC it was shocking how many young people went and are going over there to work. They will employ many more people than they displace.

Cozumel Diving

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:17 AM

I agree re everyone who has lived here long enough has been inconvenienced by the noise and dust of nearby construction. However, we have to remember that this is a very large structure going up very fast--must be if they are running trucks all night every night. So from the original poster's description as well as earlier comments from Nauticab, I would guess that living near this particular construction site is a quantum leap up in terms of the level of irritation and inconvenience.

To look on the bright side, since they're working round the clock, it will be over sooner. Anyone read about the projected opening date? I sure hope they carry fresh milk like the one in Playa does.

#6 Sandy H

Sandy H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

Remember that Sam's Club carries items in bulk or large sizes, which are not what one typically purchases at the small abarrotes. This should help keep purchasing dollars on the Island as well as income from the jobs being created during construction and when the store opens.

I loved the Island as it once was, as do most of us who knew it several years ago, but since "progress" is coming no matter what, I'm glad to see Sam's as I think its' benefits far outweigh any downsides.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:49 PM

Sam's is to open July 29th, so the construction is nearing completion.

However, I would NOT put up with drunks laying about making a mess, and goodness knows what else.

I would make a written complaint and deliver it to the Sam's office on the island (which is where you also get your cards).

They can also deal with the dust problem by spraying water (which of course will turn into mud)...no easy solution.

Did not know that Office Depot is also coming in. Is that the construction on the corner of 65 and Transveral?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

This is a pertinent editorial in the Washington Post, my home town newspaper, on the subject of mom and pop stores as opposed to chains. http://www.washingto...ry.html?hpid=z5

#9 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

anyone tried to get their cards from the office we have paid but everytime we go they say they havent got the machine I presume they mean camera..are they carrying everything like fresh bread and fruit and veggies .

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

The Sam's here doesn't open until July 27 according to Paula so that would explain why they're not giving out cards as yet. I sure do hope they have fresh milk like they usually have at the one in Playa! The one in Playa was kind of meager on fresh produce, gourmet items, wine and hard liquor but did have a LOT of meat and an extremely large section for frozen food and canned and packaged processed food. Please don't let them start bringing in Maria Callender frozen mashed potatoes, Stouffers macroni and cheese and others of that ilk or it is going to be all over for my waist line.

#11 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

I've heard from a couple of people that the cards will be ready June 20, and the opening is scheduled for June 29.

#12 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

We´ve have been told that June 29 will be the opening day......, I know that there are many pros and cons to stores of this type....., I won't argue those now, In the 16+ years of shopping SAM'S and Walmart, I have seen very few undesirables in or near the stores, I shop them anytime from 8:00 a.m. until near midnight, walking 5 blocks to get there.

There are many things that local families can and will buy in bulk......, 16 years ago when SAM'S open in Cancun, our son was in diapers, we would make monthly trips to Cancun and buy a case at a time, what we saved on diapers and other baby items, more than paid for the cost of trips. Many of the local abarrotes will be able to buy some things cheaper at SAM'S cheaper than they are buying from local suppliers.

#13 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:59 PM

went today to office 7th trip . they seemed to be packing up , the girl said you have to go on wednesday to get cards sorted out at the sams club itself does that mean you have to climb over the construction workers to get in... well we will give it a try

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:07 PM

I received my Sam's club card (pink or blue, your choice) at their office off 85 y 1 over a month ago.

I had pre-paid, and filled out the paper work for the card from the Sam's canvassers when they where out and about.

It did take a couple of tried to get it, but they had everything ready, camera worked (however, I will show NO ONE the picture) and it took about 10 mins to get it all done.

It appears from what is being said that they are moving everything over to the new space and closing the start up office.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#15 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

Will the cards be good in the States and vice versa?

#16 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:21 PM

here i am, the living proof of HELL living next to sams/bodega arroreal. how about jack hammers going on until after 1am friday night? right now it is 9pm and the cement saws are going on full blast. we have 5 full size trailers parked on 75 in front of our homes. finally the wall looks like it is starting to be built. still waiting word if it will be done before hell breaks loose 29 june.
the public relations guy from DF flew over to visit 5 of us neighbors last week for us to discuss our outrage, our concerns, our suggestions. to a point, our voice was heard. we personally wrote and had 40 neighbors sign a petition which i personally delivered to the offices of presidente municipal, desarrollo urbano, ecologia, coordinador de salud, obras publicas, por esto, notivision, sol stereo, solymar, and offices of sams (which they wouldn't accept). we have BITCHED to the point of no return to our municipio which is supposed to be looking after our interests. my neighbor finally got thru to the right people in walmart mexico corporate and we are personally in touch with them daily. they planned to have an exit/entry at the T-intersection on 13x75 (oh talk about FIGHTING that one) plus only malla ciclonica (chain link fence) with a small row a trees separating the parking lot from our street (another BIG fight). we won that battle, with NO entrances or exits on 75 at all, and a 2.3 meter wall with some bushes and trees. not the wall we wanted but dammit, we got the wall.
compressors for air conditioners have been getting clogged with now hardening mix of cement, dirt, and sascab dust. tejas getting hardened combos of the same. microscopic dirt has entered and settled and hardened in our window pane sliders. dust bunnies galore, and to the extreme, a neighbor has cracks forming and granite pulling away from her walls due to the relentless rock breaking in front of her house. removing not 4 but closer to EIGHT hectares of pure thick forest has raised the temperature in our homes 5 to 8 degrees, not to mention, more importantly, the loss of 5 cenotes and who knows how many viens, wildlife and displaced animals including wild parrots that lived in this lush jungle. desarrollo urbano has stated they need to plant 1200 MATURE trees to replace what they destroyed. the twigs they call trees that they have thus far planted are a freaking joke. worse than the trees in the front yard of a new development in the suburbs of a growing community for first time home owners. much worse. this has not been a simple nuisance for us in maraville. it has been HELL. we live IN FRONT of the construction. the visual and auditory contamination is horrific. sams has promised to send people to clean or fix things in our homes, or pay facturas if we have someone do it ourselves. while i don't want anyone from there IN my house, i will gladly accept them to powerwash my exterior when it is all said and done.

now, will i shop there? probably. but dammit, sam's didn't do a lick of PR to the neighbors they screwed over here. even the CFE sends out notices when they need to cut off power. not once have the sams people offered an apology, given any incentive (we are demanding lifetime memberships...it doesn't cost them a thing to give this and it is to THEIR benefit), or give us notices. desarrollo urbano is a joke. the LAW states no more than 7am to 7pm construction with loud machinery. i don't remember a day that there wasn't loud machinery after 7pm. there have been more laws, civil and environmental, broken in this construction than you can imagine. we are also not against the PROGRESS of cozumel, but the manner in which they built this is horrible. and believe me, walmart incorporated has heard us.

whew, got that off my chest....for anyone who really wanted to know what is going on. you can't get much closer than me and my 2 neighbors.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#17 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

and since i am mexican, pay taxes and vote, i can say this: the local govt has NOT DONE A THING. nothing, zippo, a big fat goose egg of work to help us out. after many calls and flooding that happened after the rain last week, we do seem to have one person from obras publicas who is trying to get a pozo de absorpcion put in the street....but the sams trucks are in the way.
did anyone happen to notice how the construction went full swing once the new admin came into office. hmmmm, permits given before the change, then everyone is disarray afterwards, not in the "know" and still getting ducks in a row to do anything about it??? even des urbano told me that if the plans were approved in the old admin, they have to accept them.
can you say "money changing hands"?????
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#18 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

That's a huge bummer for you and your neighbors, Nauticab! I feel your pain. And in this particularly sweltering heat we've been experiencing this spring it makes it so much worse because if you don't close the windows and run the AC, the dust must come flooding in.

Only small bright side is it will soon be over. End of the dust. End of the chiapita workers roaming around. End of the noise. Lordy, what a picture you paint.

I'll bet they will give you lifetime memberships. Least they can do. And hope they'll pay for the clean up as well.

Progress in this case will, I think, probably end up being good for the community in terms of competition to the other big boxes. And I don't think it will steal any biz from the Abarrotes unless they are less than 5 blocks away from it. However, as you so vividly illustrate, this hell bent for leather get it open as fast as possible approach with no regulation in sight to curtail it is horrific for the immediate neighborhood.

Good for you on the rabble rousing. It has been my experience, generalizing here, of course, that Mexicans often have a very fatalistic attitude about this kind of calamity. Grin (or not) and bear it. Having a firebrand leader must be inspiring to your neighbors -- to see that a small, determined group CAN sometimes effect change. Even in Mexico.

Keep us posted and count down the days until the Beeg Bohx opens and the dust finally settles.

#19 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

What a shame. Cozumel will soon enough be like Cancun or Miami Beach, with all trace of the small island charm that used to define the place torn asunder for more strip malls, condos and big box stores. "Progress," mi coulo. Just another in a long line of places "loved to death" by short-sighted people.

#20 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:15 AM

I think that's a bit of extreme reaction, Coz Dude. The Sam's is waaaay back in the hood and there is still a massive amount of thorn forest in the center of the island between the edge of town and the uninhabited east coast. I agree with you re some of the ocean front condo development over the past two years with the Hendricks Towers coming most recently to mind and there are others. But I don't agree about Sam's Club. People who live here deserve to get good deals, too. And this big box is going to make life better for a lot of people. My Mayan housekeeper, for example, is absolutely thrilled and counting down the days until the opening.

It is very unfortunate indeed that the people in charge of overseeing construction were so cavalier in regards to the feelings and needs of immediate neighbors like Nauticab and others on the adjacent street. But I don't think it's fair to generalize from this that Cozumel will lose its charm for tourists because of this. They'll never see it. This is for people who live here and, frankly, we all think we deserve a few nice things at better prices if for no other reason than having to put up with 6 months of hellish heat and a keep your heads up at all time hurricane season each and every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users