• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:16 AM

Cozumel is pretty cleaver, you'll never see the infrastructure that supports fresh food, and cold beers for starters on the island.

Of course, you can't have an infrastructure without employment. Fish to live, and live to fish just doesn't support a 90+ thousand population on the island, nor the millions of visitors we receive to the island.

You have LOST nothing by the island expanding in services, in fact all of us have gained (except Nauticab and her neighbors...for now).

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#22 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

I totally agree with you Carey...PLUS a huge importance will be the jobs created by the store!

#23 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:06 AM

sams and bodega will be proving many jobs, which is a good thing. competition with food and the availability of items not available before will be great.
attention walmart inc: if you had done the following, we (the neighbors, not just on the street, but within a 5 city block radius due to flying dirt and excessive noise) would have responded much better to the situation:
1. before construction, have a zoning meeting inviting a handful of neighbors to discuss the project.
2. during construction, send out notices of the work to be done that will DIRECTLY affect those closeby (noise, dirt, lights, trucks) so that we can be prepared and do our business accordingly
3. explain how they will protect the cenotes, leave some of the natural trees there, and how they will incorporate proper drainage and hurricane precautions in the area.
4. APOLOGIZE when there is excess wind causing more grief than necessary, and offering post construction cleanup.
5. right off the bat, offer the close by neighbors (at least within 1 city block radius) lifetime memberships as an incentive to keep us happy during the construction phase.

there has been no communication from sams to us at all until we went to them, constantly, and consistently. they have shown 100% lack of courtesy, professionalism, and respect for our natural resources.

carey, i am really not sure why you keep referring to 75 and 11 the hood. we are 2 blocks from the busiest intersection of cozumel (65 and 11) and while we are not in central, it is by far the hood. maravilla and corpus are considered to be 2 of the nicest colonias in cozumel with some of the nicest homes on the island. calling this the hood, to me, is like an insult. the tours take folks just past here so tourists see it too. we are further from central and the tourist action, but is not the hood. perhaps a different word you can use?
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#24 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:40 AM

There are a lot of very pretty homes in the Maravilla neighborhood, Nauticab,I agree. Lot of upscale places. And of course the entire length of 65 has always been a major commercial area. Now Calle 11 east of 65 is being brought into that commercial hub.

I should explain that I am perhaps using the term 'the hood' in correctly. I wasn't using it as a term synonym for 'slum'. I just meant it was a 'real' neighborhood full of full-time locals.

As you know, I live on 15 in centro. I would call my street from Calle 3 to Calle 11 'the hood also.' But not 'way back in the hood'. I live near the start of the 'hood'. And I define that as a completely non tourist-focused area. Actually, what it comes down to is waterfront. Waterfront and in certain parts of downtown up to one block back from the waterfront is NOT the hood. Everything else in San Miguel IS.That's what I mean when I use that term.

#25 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:00 AM

Sorry but I just can't resist posting. Semantics are a real bear. I have to admit that, being from California where "the hood" has quite a different meaning that I was wondering about these places. Glad that's all cleared up now. :- )

#26 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:05 AM

yah I will start substituting 'back in the nabes" for 'back in the hood' to avoid misunderstandings about the safety issues in these areas. What about the barrios? That doesn't have a negative connotation does it? And has a nice alliterative ring to it.

#27 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:20 AM

I wouldn't use barrio either - More commonly, however, in the United States, barrios refer to lower-class neighborhoods with largely Spanish-speaking residents, basically the Latino equivalent of a "ghetto". The word often implies that the poverty level is high in such a neighborhood

#28 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

You are absolutely right Steve and I TOTALLY got you Carey. ROFL

#29 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

Well, I looked up barrio and it means, in Spanish, a neighborhood where people speak Spanish. Too bad if that has a different connotation in the US. Personally, I'm not going to tell Mexicans how to use their own language. But I will ask my friends down here what term they would use and that it will be. Like it or lump it.

#30 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

how about simply, "a mile or so inland". no need to make a name for it. or call them by their colonia (kind of like the neighborhood): colonia maravilla, or 10 de abril, or san miguel II, or Flamingos or independencia. all of these are about a mile inland and are where most of the locals live.

if i were reading these posts about the hood, barrio, or what have you, i would be leary too. it is totally safe, back here a mile or so inland. :)
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#31 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

"the hood" did have alot more character. I mean it is short for neighborhood and all, but now it won't pass the pc? I mean a neighborhood is a place that is geographically and socially connected right? Can we say 'back in the neighborhoods"? Start calling it something else fancier and next you'll be inundated with pod people.... Posted Image (joke alert....)

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#32 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

Thanks, Chief. I always liked the phrase Back in the hood myself but I guess the objectors have a point considering how much bad publicity is out there about Mexico these days. I'm the one that coined the phrase 'The Wild Side' years and years (and YEARS) ago to refer to the east side of the island. I'm wondering if I'll get called on that one next. The WILD side where the gangsters gun down the competition on the dark road at night, and bales of cocaine wash ashore like coconuts. Where the policia have to send vans out during high season to pick up all those drunks that took the Bar Tour, stumbled off and are lying in the sand encased in their own vomit. :P Meaning this is a joke

#33 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

Well, my 2¢ (which is more than I can afford) is that "the hood" worked well for me. I got the gist from the context. That being said I guess I, as a new...grrr, how do I delete this misfire?

#34 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

Well, my 2¢ (which is more than I can afford) is that "the hood" worked well for me. I got the gist from the context. That being said I guess I, as a newbie don't really get to have a say ;)

#35 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

Geez, if I can't use the term "the hood" does that mean "My Peeps" is out too?

I think that particular neighborhood will be referred to as "that Sam's Club area".

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#36 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

Actually it is barrels of Mary Jane washing up on the east side you know..... Besides, darn it, I LIKE saying we are going to El Moro, its great and back in the hood.... I like sitting there and watching the guy across the street washing his cars and the people wandering around. The same pile of rubble is there on the street the last several times. It FEELS like a neighborhood.Posted Image Does that make sense?

Besides, you really think saying back in the hood will hurt MX tourism? They would have to ignore all the good stuff to get to someone saying "the hood" You know gringo can be considered offensive. Is that next? And people are people everywhere. There are people using and selling drugs in Coz. There are people hurting each other. And there is that Fish kid who steals anything the is not nailed down. And if he can pry it loose, it aint nailed down. That being said, it seems Coz is pretty darn safe, esp for visitors. Hey maybe it is REALLY a selling point. People 'back there' can say I live in the hood and it is really safe. If the hood is safe, imagine how REALLY safe the rest of the island is!! Even the wild side...... Posted Image

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#37 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

You can call it whatever you want. I think back in town would be nice.

The terms you use have different meanings to different people. I have seen you use the term savages for the people back out in the jungle close to where I stay. I don't think that is proper. I've never seen a savage on the island.

I'll call where I stay the hood because we are way back in town and that is what the neighbors call it. I don't have a problem with the term as I know how safe Cozumel really is. Tourists reading the board don't. From living in and close to Chicago, I would never bring visiting friends to the barrios or the hood. They would never forgive me as they would be afraid for their lives.

Call it what ever you want. The only thing you are doing is what the cruise ship people say, Stay on Melgar and don't go back into town.

#38 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

I have been known to use the term selvajes which means people who live in the jungle. It is not a derogatory term nor was it intended to be. Can't believe you're dredging up that long dead argument. Again. Snore

#39 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

SO the cruisers are going to read through the complaints about dust from the SAMS CLUB, see the word hood twice and stay on Melgar? I mean they are complaining about dust in the AC, not someone stealing the AC....
Well I don't mind that there are never people wearing balloons on their head at El Moro. (Yes, now I am stereotyping pod people..... i am so un-PC today....)

And people who live "out in the jungle"? Can we call that 'out in the country'? Jungle sounds degrading. Or we could say 'off the grid'! Now that even sounds fashionable.

And you know this 'island' thing makes it sound like it is isolated and backwards, i.e. "they live on an island" I am going to start saying the "small Continent of Cozumel." {joke off}

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#40 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:00 AM

That was fun, Chief. Don't be changin'

0 user(s) are reading this topic