14 replies to this topic

#1 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:36 PM

We will be down for 12 days in July. Is Belize doable? We will have a rental car. Or is it better to take the bus from Playa? I am thinking the snorkeling is pretty good from Belize.

Any ideas and recs would be appreciated!

#2 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

check out steves trip report currently on a trip to Belize

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

Kinda what got me started. Help me Steve! Or anyone else!

#4 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

From what I've always heard (someone correct me if I'm wrong), you aren't allowed to rent a car in Quintana Roo (the Mexican state which Cozumel and Playa del Carmen are a part of) and drive it to Belize. Belize is another state and you aren't supposed to cross state lines in a rental vehicle. Is this really true? Don't know for sure - just what I've always been told.

#5 TnVol

TnVol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

Are you aware that this is not a day trip? Once you reach the mainland you will have more than 4 hours driving to the Belize border. I doubt you can find a car rental company on the island that will allow you to take a car to Belize. The reason being, Belize is another country and not another state.

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

Belize is another CA country not a Mexican state. You cannot take a rental car out of the country. Bus trip is easily doable, but I don't think it would be much fun without a car. Belize is the only English speaking country South of the USA and is one of the poorest countries in the West.

Cozumel Diving

#7 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I am going to research this further. My brother loved the diving in Belize, but they flew there directly from US. I would imagine the snorkeling is good as well? I realize Belize is a separate country, did not know English was the language.

#8 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:19 PM

Bus trip is easily doable, but I don't think <Belize> would be much fun without a car.

If you are going around the mainland of Belize you may have a point Mike, but for a first time trip that includes diving/snorkeling the Cayes (keys) look fabulous and no car is needed there! Steve is showing us a step by step - busing to Chetumal from PdC, from there taking a boat to Ambergris Caye and then you can take a water taxi to Caye Caulker and beyond.

And count me as one who is a huge fan of the Mexican Bus System.

What I want to know is just how bad is the beer in Belize that Steve won't drink it? :o

Dawn I hope you go for it and let us know how it went. I'm already planning my trip in the someday future.
:)

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#9 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 12:57 PM

Ccannon, I had the same question about the beer. Red Stripe is fine, maybe not as good as Mexican cervezas, but certainly drinkable.

I may look into a charter plane. We have used them for Holbox and Isla Mujeres whale shark swims. Sure saves a lot of time!

Now I'm getting really excited!

#10 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

dawnb...What did you want to do in Belize? If it just to snorkel, I would recommend the cayes. I am not a fan of Corozal or Belize city. I do like Belmopan, Dangriga, Punta Gorda, and San Ignacio. I haven't been to Placencia yet. There is lots to do in those areas and the roads are all good. You can be in Belize from Playa in around 4 hours. The country is small and it isn't that long of a drive from one end to the other. Gas is expensive. You can rent a car in Playa or Cancun and drive across the border. You will have to check with the rental agency first but there are quite a few that will allow you to go to Belize. I have a list somewhere but off the top of my head I can only remember Buster Car Rental. The cayes are fun. I really enjoyed going over and will do it again. Here is a pretty good forum on Belize that I check every day. http://www.belizeforum.com/belize/

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

Thanks Steve! My brother raved about the diving in Belize, we are just snorkelers. Would love to snorkel the Cayes. Will def check out the website!

Now what's the deal about the beer? Do they not sell it?

Sure appreciate your advice!

#12 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

Might not need a chartered plane. Maya Island Air has flights from Cancun, http://www.mayaregional.com/

Just another option... Have fun! :)

#13 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:14 PM

Oh they sell it...it's just nasty, nasty beer. At least he found some Jamaican "stripe" which I like.
My friends have lived on Ambergris Caye for 12 years and love it there.
You should go.

#14 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

The beer sucks. Belikins lent the country money years ago and in exchange got the monopoly on beer. They make 3 brands and they are all terrible. Belikins premium, belikins regular, and Lighthouse. They also make a Heinekens that is bad also. You might find Red Stripe every once in a while but that is about all. I can drink many different beers but none that are made in Belize. It's a criminal offense to smuggle in other beers. Any beer that is brought in at the border will be taken away. I don't drink very much hard alcohol but switch to rum when I am in the country.

#15 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

ROFLMAO! Not much of a beer drinker, tho I do like rum. Great advice, all! OK, this has become a mission.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users