• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 cajunteacher

cajunteacher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

I have been reading several places about getting from the airport to your hotel. What is the best the route to go: shuttle or walk out and get a cab? If you take a shuttle what is best to purchase online or wait till you arrive and purchase at the airport? I am thankfull for any help on this subject.

#2 jcole

jcole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

Do not buy transfers online you will pay way too much. For instance when I stayed at El Coz in 2008 I could have bought a round trip transfer online for $36 per person. I paid $8 per person at the airport for shared van and $20 for a taxi for 4 on the way back. I did read a recent review that taxis could only pick you up 2 blocks away from the airport where it used to be alot closer. If you dont have a lot of luggage I guess it wont be that bad to save some $$$.

#3 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:13 AM

Never buy online, the mentioned was about right, double or triple the price. Cozumel is very over regulated, but that makes things easy and simple. It is hardly worth the hassle to try to walk beyond the airport grounds to save a few bucks. The rules dictate that you take the shuttle van from the airport and return via taxi.

#4 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

I have read a lot of suggestions about walking down the driveway to get out of the airport grounds and then hailing a taxi. I have done this in the past. However, in late February 2010 I did walked out to the traffic circle just outside the airport and there were 2 parapolice cars parked in the circle stopping any taxi that tried to pick people up at the airport area. I was told by Margarita at ISIS car rental that they have a 2 block jurisdiction to their concession to provide airport transportation. So, it looks like if you want to avoid the airport van costs (which I think were in the area of 7 or 8 bucks a person to go to the Corpus Christi area) you'll have to walk with your luggage at least two blocks away from the airport circle to get a taxi. 2 of us were trying to catch a taxi to go to ISIS by the main plaza. When we did get a taxi, it cost us 2.50 USD for the taxi ride. The airport transvan would have cost $14 to $16 for the two of us. When we got our car we drove back to the airport to pick up others in our group and the luggage. There wasn't enough room for all of us in the car so my son had to taxi to the house. Strangely, without realizing what he was doing, my son jumped on one of the RUTA/Collectiva bus/vans and paid 5 pesos to get down to the Palacio. That is a small local bus-like thing that is as close to public transportation as they have. But the RUTA is not intended for tourist/visitors and would definitely not be a good option with any luggage.

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:10 PM

The shuttle van price to downtown and the Corpus Christi area should be $47 pesos per person, less than $4USD. Since the taxi fares were finally raised at the end of 2008, the boundaries of service between shuttle van and taxi service has been more vigorously defended. Sure four people going to a distant hotel would save some money with a taxi, but how long are you willing to wait for a van large enough to transport four people and all their luggage or take two taxis. There are a few active posters on some forums that promote this idea, some claim it is also to save time not just the money. A couple of people claim to have always been the last person dropped off downtown only after the vans had toured all the hotels first and could have walked to their destinations faster. If this happened and happened more than once, it had to be either an attitude of arrogance or they were remembered from previously avoiding the airport shuttles. For ease and convenience, the shuttle van service is probably the most sensible option. Property management personnel can not pick up clients and transport them to a rental villa, HOWEVER, if you do purchase a shuttle van ticket then a commercial person should be able to pick you up which often works better for all concerned. You can pick up family and friends, but anyone related to commercial can not pick up clients without paying Aviomar their cut.

You couldn't use bus or colectivo service with luggage, but I certainly used it to go to the airport to meet arriving friends. Few "higher class" Mexicans would be caught dead riding the public transportation. I have used it in the past as my primary daily transportation as I was located on the main route. All routes go to Chedraui with a stop at the back entrance to Mega. I confess I haven't used one recently, but the fare was suppose to increase from $5 to $7 pesos. Three adults would be the price of a taxi. I used it as I was ideally situated and could get back and forth to my destinations more easily and faster than waiting for a taxi. In many parts of Mexico that is the normal means of transportation, wealthy or poor, local or tourist, only because of the taxi union was this service so long in coming to Cozumel.

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

Long ago I was in the choir singing about a tourists right to choose to save money by walking out to the road and hailing a cab instead of taking the airport vans. Now, having become more of a traveler myself making minimum 3 trips off the island per year, I have moved over to the Van camp. You don't wait long for those vans. Usually 10 minutes tops. And you don't get all sweaty dragging your stuff out to the road -- and beyond now, according to DanB's recent experience.

Sure it costs a little more -- but not a whole lot more. And, as I said, you won't get all sweaty hauling bags and standing out in the sun waiting for a taxi.

As Charles says, the van trip for two to a downtown car rental place should have been 47 pesos/person. Really not bad for the convenience.

#7 cajunteacher

cajunteacher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

Thank ya'll for all the great replys! So if I am understanding this right I can get off the plane ....get past the time share sharks and buy a transfer at the airport.

#8 realestateroadwarrior

realestateroadwarrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Christian missions, outreach, Bible, Diving, Traveling

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:01 AM

Here is a helpful YouTube VIDEO on how to get transportation tickets in Cozumel Airport - very easy

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:17 AM

Good one! If you watch the video carefully, you will see the camera pan over a booth with sign over head that says Tourist Advisory. There are four or five of these in the arrival area including one right next to the van ticket window.

This is where the time share guys will take you if you let them. They would grab your arm and jerk you over there if they could. Instead they try to do it verbally. You can't miss them as they are standing in a regimented line postitioned exactly at the center of the glass doors leaving immigration/customs so they can catch people coming out either door. They stand in a line so they can peel off to the right or the left depending on which door you come through, give you the spiel about how they're here to help you and welcome you and then drag you over to one of these tourist advisory windows. Where you will spend as long as you are willing to stay there until you figure out they want more from you than they are giving back if you know what I mean.

When the first salesperson in the line snags a rube and peels off, the whole line moves up one to be ready for the next unsuspecting tourist.

I've watched this act a lot and if I dared to say anything to a tourist in this area I'm quite sure I would be frog marched off the grounds in short order. But I can mouth off on the forums, can't I? It's embarassing that they're allowed to do this. A crying shame. But, there it is. Now you know if you didn't before. And once you know, you know how to avoid them.

#10 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:10 AM

Now, why are the police involved in keeping taxis from picking up tourists who walk off the grounds of the airport? Is that really the best use of a cops time? Or are these off duty cops hired by the cab companies to harass tourists? :angry:

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

Might be Federales. Lot of those swinging dicks based at the airport now as part of the jumped up drug campaign.

#12 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

Now, why are the police involved in keeping taxis from picking up tourists who walk off the grounds of the airport? Is that really the best use of a cops time? Or are these off duty cops hired by the cab companies to harass tourists? :angry:

They are the cops. It is illegal for taxi's to pick up at the airport and that is the bottom line, whether we like it or not. If the shuttle guys see the taxi's they call the cops. The cops respond. That is what cops do. As I am sure you know, we don't really have a lot of crime here and the cops are mostly for keeping things running orderly. Are the cops inept when it comes to burglaries and other "real" crimes? I don't know. When I lived in the States I never saw that the cops were overly adept at solving small personal crimes either.

Cozumel Diving

#13 lsr3

lsr3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

The wait for the vans has never been very long for my wife and I.
But perhaps that is because we take a hard right when going through the outside doors and get a couple of cold Sols with lime from the cart.
Always seems to make the line move a little quicker!

#14 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Of course sound off on the board about time share sharks. It also doesn't hurt to tell the people in front of you and behind you on the plane and standing in the customs line.

#15 Work2Vacation

Work2Vacation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:19 AM

Can anyone tell me roughly how much it will cost for a shuttle for 2 to the Wyndham? Thanks!

#16 jackieshiler

jackieshiler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:56 AM

Walking will take your more time to reach to the hotel and shuttle would be fine but won't be that much comfortable . I think the best option would be to hire a taxi or a cab , it will give you comfort as well as make you reach soon to the hotel without wasting any time.

#17 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

I believe the shuttle van fee is $178 pesos for two (about $15 dollars). If you walk a full block past the circle on avenue 65 in front of the school, the taxi fare would be $150 pesos, if paid in dollars = $15 dollars. When taxi rates were adjusted for the first time in seven years, the rates to and from hotels went up significantly.

In the old daze, you could indeed save time and money via the taxi option. Even if the rates were not the same, personally, it might be worth one dollar per minute to not lug luggage three short blocks and wait in broiling heat in hopes of getting a taxi. The "rules" are not consistently "enforced", but there is little difference in price (if any) and often no difference in arrival time. Official taxi rates TO the airport are higher than regular rates.

#18 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

Is there a place I can find a Schedule of the Shuttle fares? I'm coming down in December & will be staying at Casa Del Mar - a ways south of town - & wondering how much in Pesos I should get ahead of time, since my past experience has been that it's nearly always cheaper to pay in pesos (even if I get a rotten exchange rate at the Airport Cambio); I usually get $300-$400 in Pesos through Bank of America before I leave; you need to give the bank 3-5 days lead time on this, but it's your best hope of getting a decent exchange rate.

#19 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

Here is a link to a chart that was posted on TripAdvisor:

http://home.pcisys.n...ePriceSmall.jpg

Valli

#20 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

The fare to Centro was still 47 pesos when I came back on June 7. So probably the other rates are also still correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users