• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 MusicMan

MusicMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

Though I've been to Cozumel several times, I have always done the "bag drag" from Cancun. We're flying into Coz this time and taking the shared vans to the Allegro. I presume there are ATM at the airport. Where are they located? Do they give the "going rate"?

-Jerry
Cruisin' toward retirement!!

#22 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

You cannot buy van shuttle tickets online. But it is a very easy matter to purchase them once you come through the glass doors from customs into the Cozumel airport arrival lobby. Ignore the line of time share salesmen with badges that say "Tourist Advisory" and heav to your right about 20 feet. The last booth down on the right with it's back to the outside is the window where you buy your van tickets. Prices are clearly marked in both dollars and pesos. Buy your ticket here then turn around and retrace your steps to go out the glass doors to the sidewalk where there will be reps. waiting to load you into the appropriate van.

Be aware that the time share "tourist advisory" people are really REALLY aggressive. They will try anything necessary to make you believe that you must talk to them in order to get your transportation straightened out. Ignore them and head to your right to that van window and then outside to be placed in the right van for the right destination.

#23 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

There is one ATM, turn left as you exit customs, go down the hall headed for the departure area of the terminal. I believe it is about 2/3 of the way to departure zone. It is a normal bank ATM with the "going bank rate". Don't even look at the NO commission casa de cambio which is the lowest rate on the island and about 20% less than the bank rate. The shuttle vans use a realistic rate of exchange, but pesos always work best.

#24 MusicMan

MusicMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

Thanks to all....
Cruisin' toward retirement!!

#25 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:21 PM

You don't save THAT much money getting a cab. And I hate to drag all my luggage anywhere after a long day of travel...even a few blocks...especially if it's hot. Buy van tickets after you get thru customs.

#26 pelagic_by_nature

pelagic_by_nature

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Cozumel, Fish, All things aquatic

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

Thanks to all for this helpful thread.

#27 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

Well for those of us who do drag our bag from the airport to the street to catch a cab you will be happy to know that there is now a NEW sidewalk that leads all of the way out to the airport road! We have never had to wait more than a min or two and quite often the van guys from the airport are the ones that pick us up. 50-60 p for both of us + little chupie, I think is a better deal, and no waiting for the colectivo to fill up or paying 110$p per person to go to centro. If I wasn't such a slacker I'm even sure it would be an enjoyable stroll to our apartment (caguama stops included)lol..... To each their own. I just thought a heads up on the new sidewalk should be included in the thread.

Mikes

#28 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

Nice to know Mike! Don't mind schlepping luggage a little way to get on the road quickly.. I can get claustrophobic in those vans B)

#29 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

The price to go to el centro is $47 pesos. If you chose to go against the rules written by Aviomar, you should have an understanding of what they are and the potential consequences. The "law" is not always enforced. No risk to you except possibly being denied boarding to the taxi that is risking his job and income picking you up. No one knows the consequences, fines and number of days off if punishment is imposed upon the driver, none I have talked to knew, but really never wanted to find out.

The rules say no pick ups on the airport road, period. You are supposed to be at least in front of the school on avenue 65, which means the tope, the corner is better. Sure the rules are not always enforced and it isn't law, it is the dictates of the most powerful monopoly, not just on the island, but of the peninsula. They haven't been the most powerful monopoly for decades without reason.

Before the first taxi fare increase in seven years, you used to save a lot more pesos before the taxi price to and from hotels were increased. What often motivated the disciples of this, the ones that continue to encourage this (not referring to Mike) was to save time and avoid being stuck in a van, driven all over and being the last ones dropped off. A couple of people complained that it happened every time to them, they might be placed in a van, that made three stops in route to the reef club before finally returning to downtown. People had complaints that were never experienced by anyone else or certainly not the norm. What is the down side to you personally, someone that might make a lot of trips here or own a home here? Maybe Aviomar will remember you for next time. The time that it is raining, you're really loaded and in a real hurry to get home. It can be tricky to get a taxi on 65 from the specified location, certainly close to shift change times.

When I came in October, there was one couple waiting in the van already. We loaded the luggage and I remarked with a hopeful tone to the driver that we were full? We left to go downtown. The cost for two people was $94 pesos. Total time from walking out the airport door to our destination, ten minutes. Since he helped with the luggage I gave a tip of $70 pesos and $2 dollars which just happened to be equal to the price paid for two.

Just a thought people should know what they are doing. People that try to live here should be aware that very little goes unnoticed nor forgotten. It is best to know just how things work and if you are going around the rules, there are ways more appropriate some times.

#30 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:33 AM

If the "taxi that is risking his job and income picking you up" that on him, not the user of the service.

He/she is the one who signed the contract with the taxi union, not the consumer...

I don't believe it is my job to POLICE the taxi drivers.

If you want to walk off the property, and can get a taxi to pick you up...go for it.

I don't think Cozumel has gotten to the police state of taking names, and denying service for anyone.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#31 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:53 AM

If you read Charles post carefully, Paula, I think you'll see that he wasn't referring so much to tourists doing this as to people who live here or spend a lot of time here. He is correct to say that little goes "unnoticed or forgotten" here. That's one reason I'm a big tipper. And it's also one of the reasons I don't haul my stuff out to the road for pick up when I can't get a ride home from family or friends.

The other reason I don't haul my stuff out to the road is it would break my back as I am always fully loaded with three rollers. Just not worth it.

#32 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:54 PM

I understood what Charles was talking about in regards to the frequent visitor to the island.

I am at the airport at least 3 times a month (if not more), I am always picking up friends or dropping them off. I also use the ATM inside...so my guess is airport people (taxi, taxi vans, timeshare, police) people would recognize my face.

When I am in town, I drop my car off at a friends house, and use taxi's to get around, it's a lot easier, and the taxi drivers earn a little more money.

So, unless they are keeping a mug book in their taxi's, I still don't think it warrants much concern.

Would I walk out of the airport to catch a ride, no. It is not worth the effort.

And yes, I do agree with you about tipping, and being polite...that they remember!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#33 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, books, food, culture, people, fish, art, the world.

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:30 PM

The shuttle is easy and its pretty cheap to get into town as discussed. We've learned to avoid all the salesmen and veer to the right to buy the shuttle tickets. We come down with a load each time too and its hard enough to drag all that stuff from the luggage pick up out to the shuttle, let alone out to find a taxi!
I'm a fish!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users