#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

Lord God in Heaven it is hot!

We were able to get off the island for most of April and all of May this year to cooler climes. So maybe that's why it's hitting us so hard arriving home at 2 PM yesterday afternoon. Got up this morning at 8 AM and the heat and brightness when I came out of the AC'd bedroom slammed into me like a big, hot wet towell. My profound sympathies to all of you who have been suffering with this for two months. Now I join your ranks. Whew!

I remember one August when we were building and it was hot like this. But April and May?

We are going to be making judicious use of the AC during the day -- turned to 27 C in the rooms we're actively using. That gets our interior temp down to 84 degrees with a 45 % humidity which makes the heat index also 84. Before turning on the AC in the sala this morning at 8 AM the temp was registering 89 degrees with 65% humidity giving a heat index of 98. This is at 8 AM in the morning.

Hoping to be able to do without the AC during the day in a couple days as we acclimate again to this climate. Tomorrow I'll crank the sala AC to 28 for example and see if that plus showers provides enough relief.

Zooey, Mahn, is this worse than usual for this time of year? In my memory it is.

Maybe we'll get a nice mini rainy season in June as I've heard tell used to be the norm here.

The Blazing Tropical Sun Medal of Honor goes to everyone here who has been taking this beating for the past two months. I truly do think I might be able to cook an egg on the terrace flooring this afternoon.

Favorite tips and strategies for coping anyone? Back in the old days of the Depression my mother's Texas family used to hang wet sheets on a line and blow a fan through them.

#2 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:35 PM

I just had a screen door installed on my front door to catch the east to west breeze. It's made a big difference... My other tip is ice cold beer, keeps me cool, but my shorts are getting tighter... Trade off I suppose. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users