18 replies to this topic

#1 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Did I dream it or is someone offering a bar tour service? Taking a group of passengers between all the East side bars then back to town. If it was a dream it was a good one. It would be cool to have 2 or 3 vans that run back and forth from Mezcallitos to Paradise hitting all points in between then heading back to town at a specific time. Like an all day party bus with no need for a designated driver. Maybe the bars could even "tip" the driver for each customer dropped off. Maybe it was a vision and I need to brush up on my spanish and start packing! But then again.....it would suck being stuck as the driver.

Dono
It's those changes in latitudes!

#2 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

COZUMEL BAR HOP is operated by professionals who have extensive experience working with Cozumelís tourist industry and cruise ships. http://www.cozumelba....php#contenedor

I can only tell you what a great impression a bus load of "S*** faced Tourons" make on the locals when the bus arrives back to this side of the island...., I have seen them laying in their own p*** in the streets and do face dives into the guacamole at dinner, how do locals explain to their children that a mexicans tourist would be put in jail if they acted like that when they went to they US.

Think about it.......! I tired of looking at the "ugly americans", in places we used to enjoy eatiing! Hey DONO, why don't you work on the "stereotype" people on these tours give......

T.

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

At $50/person a group could hire a taxi or taxi van for less money and a lot of them speak very good English -- especially the van drivers. Hiring a bus from the taxi union used to cost $350 US. Not sure how many people you can pack in there but that's your bottom line to figure out the net profit here. It actually sounds like a good service for the kind of person who wants to enjoy Cozumel in an alcoholic daze. And there certainly seem to be a lot of cruise passengers that fit that description. Only reason the cruiselines aren't offering something like that is they can make more off selling them booze on the ship.

Look on the bright side, Traveler. It gets some drunks off the street.

#4 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

Sorry Traveller. I've seen locals in way worse condition. I've see them passed out drunk on the sea wall, I've seen one walking around carnival with s$#t running down both legs, I've had them offer me their sister, drugs and "anything else" I might want. I've been hit on by a mexican faggot, propositioned by whores and had more than enough make drunken comments about my beautiful wife. Believe it or not....drunk tourists make up a big part of the $$$ that flow through Cozumel. So, with that said...you can lower your nose back down from it's high place, polish up on your attitude and get a grip on life. I've spent my share of time on Cozumel. I also know that Cozumel is getting stricter on DUI and I also know that your precious locals (okay, some) are doing all they can to scam $$$ from tourists every chance they get. Been there. Done that! I'm just looking for a way to go out, have some fun and stay off the road.

Dono

#5 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

Drunken tourists are a way of life for ANY town or destination that is a tourist attraction. I live in New Braunfels, Texas - home of Schlitterbahn and TWO rivers that visitors love to float, drink, puke, pee, & undress on and around, etc., etc. It's amazing what they act like and wear walking down the streets of our town. I dare say, they wouldn't do the same thing in their home town. If you're lucky/unlucky (depending on how you look at it) to live in a beautiful place that others want to visit - that's just what you have to put up with. Most of the locals in my town have learned when the tourists will be out and about and stay clear during that time. After they leave, we can enjoy our town and surroundings again. Sad...but just a way of life in these circumstances.

#6 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

ez-stop... I haven't been to New Braunfels in so many years, except to drive through. Growing up in San Antonio, I spent many weekends at Schlitterbahn before it was developed. I remember when there was only the one building where you paid and got a tube - I think they had lockers. The tubing area was nothing more than the river and its natural beauty with the waterfalls. I loved it there. It was so peaceful. Then the developers came in and the crazies followed. I guess that's how it works everywhere. I'll cherish those memories of New Braunfels always.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

There are drunks in every country. And drunks behaving badly anywhere it is tolerated. As others have pointed out, embarrassing public displays due to alcoholic inebriation are most likely to be ignored any place that depends on tourism for its livelihood. The what happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas philosophy definitely applies to Cozumel as well -- for better or worse.

Dono -- We have our Mexican drunks here for sure. Poor dears. There are several I pass daily on Calle 5 as I go out on errands. They keep them off the waterfront except during carnival however when it turns into a free for all. Personally I have seen a couple of passed out drunk Mexicans laying out on the waterfront early in the morning of Ash Wednesday after carnival shuts down for Lent but nothing else like you describe. I guess I don't get out as much even though I'm a local.

I think what Traveler was addressing was that he, like me, is from the United States and living on an island where gringo full timers are hugely outnumbered --I'm going to guess at least 100 to 1 -- by Mexicans. So when we see other Americans behaving really badly here we do kind of cringe because we wonder if it's going to reflect on us as well. Will Mexicans generalize--and people tend to do this everywhere in the world, I'm sure--and lump us in with the kind of person who would, say, allow a waitress to pour tequila down her throat and then jiggle her boobs at Carlos and Charles as has been famously shown in some YouTube videos?

There's no point in raging about this. Cause it ainta gonna change.

But I believe that's where Traveler is coming from. He is proud of the US and being a US citizen and wants the local Mexicans to respect the US as well. But, unfortunately, this place is all about tourism . The booze flows free. And it brings out the worst in quite a few people.

I am one who enjoys a drink or three myself and am no Prune Whip on that account. But I can see both points of view on this is all I'm sayin'

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:26 AM

Prune whip? http://allrecipes.co...hip/Detail.aspx
Is that a regional thing?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:35 AM

Ha Ha. It's a term my mother-in-law, a rich white girl from DEE troit City, used to describe someone who was humorless and/or a little too tightly wound. A good synonym would be prude.

#10 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:01 AM

Hey ez-stop. As a kid Camp Warnakee (sp) was one of my favotite places on earth. At 14 I spent 2 weeks on the Guadalupe all the way into Canyon Lake. We still love that area and come down to Austin for the ROT bike rally (another drunk fest) and always ride out to Gurene and out your way. Love the Hill Country. Anyway....small world (id hate to paint it).

Dono

#11 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

We used to go out to Greune Hall in 1974 when the main street was still dirt...rather lots of high hippies there instead of drunks. Now there are tour buses and neon lights....and nowhere to park.

#12 ericadawn

ericadawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

Wow, this is quite a "colorful" post! My husband & I did the bar hop when we were there on cinco de Mayo. It was a great experience, I recommend it & we would do it again. The bus driver & the 2 guys who take turns being guides are all intelligent, informative & polite. The guide actually did a lot to ensure nobody got over-the-top loaded. He reminded us at every stop that the bartenders would try to sell us the largest margaritas & that we still had hours of partying ahead of us. It's true that the margaritas in Cozumel seemed stronger than what we're used to here in Pennsylvania anyway, so we shared one at the 1st stop & made sure we ate.
If you enjoy meeting people who are probably a lot like you, & potentially making friends, this trip is better than just hiring a taxi. You also get a signature shot at each stop (and ladies get a really impressive hand-made palm leaf cricket at Coconuts!).

#13 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

We have about 8-10 of those crickets (we call them grasshoppers) all over the house. I have video of him making one from start to finish in 40 seconds. He always saves us a parking spot at Coconuts (he knows where the ice chest is) and he knows we're always good for a lift back to town. I don't recall his name but hes one of our favorite people on the island.

Dono

#14 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

Christ, vans full of drunken cruise ship tourists arriving en masse at places like Coconut's? I wouldn't be able to get out of there fast enough.

#15 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

I wasn't refering to cruise ship tourists. I'm thinking of an alternative to drinking and driving with the rental car issues these days. I guess you would be happier if I rented a Jeep and smashed into your dumbass after having a few. Did you know that if you yourself have one beer at your precious Coconuts and get into an accident in a rental that more than likely YOU will be at fault regardless to the situation. My original post had nothing to do with a bunch of drunks but finding a safer way to hit the East side bars just like 90% of people (including you I assume) who come to Coz do. I really doubt having a taxi for a full day would be very affordable either.

Dono

#16 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:05 PM

Well said Dono

#17 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

Geez, guess I missed that party bus.

Dono, my Pirate friend, the Bar Hop tour is fine. MOST of the time people are having fun.

Nobody wants to see people go beyond their balance point and not only make a fool of themselves, but make others uncomfortable as well.

Time to kick them off the bus and to the curb (but that's just me;)

So, I would do the Bar Hop tour.

I would also consider hiring a driver for the day...is it worth say $60 bucks??? you would have to decide that.

You know, there is another side to this. No vendor wants to see a potential client beyond purchasing power. So, STUPID DRUNKS need not apply.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#18 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

What I need is a hot smokin' "island girl" to haul me around.

Dono

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

Your so funny Grasshopper!!!!

No charge for hauling!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users